ST 2593 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2593 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a           Informal eating-places including hot ribs (6)
Put an informal name for eating-places around (including) H(ot) to get a verb meaning ribs or teases

10a         Cold wind loaded tree with snow, right? (9)
This cold wind is an anagram (loaded) of TREE with SNOW and R(ight) – note that the enumeration is actually (3’6) or (3’-6) but, in common with most other crosswords, the Telegraph doesn’t show apostrophes

11a         Woods for hunting animal (5)
A pictorial hint for this one!

23a         Fellow from Exeter or Lincoln, perhaps, or citizen of central England (7)
… Exeter and Lincoln are colleges at a university in central England

25a         Calls to account, with usual adjustment in method of paying (5,2)
A phrasal verb meaning calls to account is created by putting an anagram (adjustment) of USUAL inside a method of paying over an extended period of time

29a         Built or demolished, say (6)
this verb meaning built sounds like one meaning demolished

1d           A North American I’d put up in old part of Middle East (8)
This person from North America is created by reversing (put up, as this is a down clue) I’D inside an old part of the Middle East, the biblical name for the Promised Land of the Israelites

5d           European who works with crook that often helps police (6,8)
A charade of someone from a European country and someone who works with a crook looking after animals gives an animal often used to help the police

7d           Like man at home in castle, as we speak (7)
… which man’s home is his castle?

9d           Bad intentions, alas, found in some poetry (7,7)
An anagram (bad) of INTENTIONS ALAS gives some poetry of the kind written by Giacomo da Lentini and Francesco Petrarca

24d         Poem put in order, apart from opening lines (5)
This poem is a charade of a word meaning to put in order without its first letter (apart from opening) followed by a pair of L(ine)s

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Paula Abdul (49) and Louis Jourdan (92)

Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword again from the Sunday Maestro. I did like all the linked downs. Thanks to BD for the hints too.

2. pommers
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Agree with CS, I enjoyed it too.
    After ETUI on Friday it’s nice to see 15a again, it’s been a fair while since I last saw it! Is there some sort of campaign to bring some old favourites out of their well earned retirement?
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

If Gnomey was around, would he produce some sort of pun about 15a making the heart grow fonder :D Sorry, I will creep off back to strawberry jam making duties.

• gnomethang
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Ooh! I never would have! Stop stirring and get back to stirring!

3. Libellule
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

The usual excellent Sunday crossword… top marks for 13a – a work of art.

• Jezza
      Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Ditto – that was my favourite, followed by 24d.

• gnomethang
      Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Agreed, a lovely semi all in one and superbly delivered.

4. gnomethang
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Ditto all the above. The SW took nearly half my solving time until 23a dawned. Thanks to virgilius and BD.

5. mary
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Stuck on 22d and 26a anybody pleeeeeeeeese, assuming I’ve got 23a right!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Its Gnomes law got them thanks anyone who was going to post :-)

6. Digby
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

No complaints from me – a very fair and well-constructed challenge for Father’s Day! And nothing (yet!) from The Girls about the cricketing connection at 20a!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Ah, hi Digby the cricket connection didn’t actually strike me! now I understand :-)

• Franco
      Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Cricket (20a), Golf (11a) and Tennis (19d) – no wonder it’s raining!!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Think it’s got more to do with them announcing a drought. Still the current East Kent deluge is saving me from more strawberries they will have to stay outside and get soggy, along with the raspberries. I love fruit but does it all have to arrive at the same time??

Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Cricket, golf, tennis – and has anyone heard a single complaint from me or Mary? :smile:

Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Mary’s got sun so she won’t be in a complaining mood today We are currently suffering the deluge – again!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Still got it, will share with you if you promise not to keep it :-)

7. mary
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Finished at last, I found this tough today with the bottom L/H corner being last to go in, fav clue 5d, though it took me a while to do it, although I spotted the anagram in 9d I just couldn’t solve it without Daves help also 23a, thanks once again Dave, good luck all :-)

Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

that should read anagram in 9d!

• pommers
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, I was struggling with 9d as well. It was when I got the first letter of the second word that I guessed what it was from the poetry referencet. Took those letters out of the fodder and what was left sort of jumped out at me! it goes with a few of the other downs in the top half.
        I hate long anagrams!

• Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Sorted! If I delete your second comment then the one above from pommers will be orphaned!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

thanks Dave

8. Franco
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

The master of the hidden clue! I knew they would be there somewhere (13a & 21d), but it took me a long time to find them!

Missed the link in the Downs! Thanks to BD for explaining 23a.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Excellent fare for a Sunday but stuck on SW corner because can’t for the life of me see 22d, no doubt v obvious but having a senior moment.

• Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Blindingly obvious, as you thought!

22d Everyone in bar held up for money in various currencies (6)
      Put a word for everyone (3) inside a bar or pole then reverse the lot (hed up) to get a currency used by several countries, principally the US !!!

• Brian
        Posted June 20, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Thx BD, knew it was obvious :-) just couldn’t see it.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I found this a bit more difficult than the last few days – got terribly stuck for ages in bottom left hand corner. Needless to say 20a also took a while but managed all without needing the hints. Completely missed the linked down clues and the 13a being hidden in the clue – stupid or what? Last ones in were 22d and 26a. Tried to make 1a something to do with a “bistro” since most of the letters were in the clue but that just wasn’t going to work! Liked 1a (once I understood it) 10, 11 ……. actually far too many to write them all down individually. Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave – it’s always Sundays that remind me how much I’ve learnt from this blog – Sunday crosswords used to be a complete no-go area for me.

• Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Well done Kath

That southwest corner was a bit tricky!

• Spindrift
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

…tricky! More like insurmountable! Stuck on 24d, 26a & I think I’ve got 28a but not 100% convinced.
        Thanks to V & to BD for the hints.

• Spindrift
          Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

…if I’d only waited a gnomement before pressing send!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

All thanks to you and your fantastic blog, BD. :grin:

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Those were the last in for me too Kath, I still don’t quite understand the ‘various currencies’ bit despite Daves hint above! Glad you had a nice break welcome back, my turn to go off to France for a few days next Friday, unfortunately not a holiday a ‘duty visit’ to 95 yr old mother-in-law who has gone to live there with sister-in-law!!

• Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

The US is not the only country to use this unit of currency.

• pommers
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

It’s used elsewhere, usually with the country name in front of the word.

• pommers
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Oops! Sorry BD. must remember to refresh the screen before replying – yours ahdn’t popped up!

• Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Try answering questions on AnswerBank – you can find you have been beaten by half-a dozen others!

• pommers
            Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Never even looked at AnswerBank, let alone posted a reply!

• Franco
              Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Recommend AnswerBank – there is always some-one there to help!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks both :-) off to sit in the sun whilst its actually shining!

• pommers
          Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Mary! You’ve stolen my sun – it’s gone cloudy here!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommers it is a beautiful afternoon/evening here now :-)

• pommers
              Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear it, it gives us a chance in the cricket match. Sorry for mentioning the dreaded game!

• Franco
          Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

“Various currencies” – lots of nations use this currency! Canada, Australia, East Timor, Hong Kong….. plus many more!

• pommers
            Posted June 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

And I think the word ‘various’ here indicates that these aren’t actually the same currency, just the same name.

• Franco
            Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Hope that makes “cents”! :oops: Good Night!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Nice one :-)

Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Smartie pants, yet again! :smile:

• Franco
                Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Mea Culpa! Yet, Again! :wink:

Posted June 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Good luck with the duty visit – can’t quite get head around the relationship – why is your mother-in-law living with your sister-in-law? Am completely confused!!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

‘Cos my sister in law is her daughter Kath, she (M-I-L) has been in a homw for last 5 years but In her wisdom (not) her daughter who lives in France decided that she would take her to live with her!! Hope this clears it up :-)

Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Yes, OK – sounds like a recipe for problems to me – or am I getting into my Mum’s frame of mind which means that everything is seen as a problem? :sad:

Posted June 20, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink

No you’re right we’ve already had an sos from there less than 3 months after the move!

11. Derek
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Usual enjoyable fare from Virgilius – many thanks.
    Got the eastern half knocked off in record time and ditto for the NW corner – then ground to a halt with the SW corner.
    Finally got 23a sorted out – already had 22d – and then finished the grid off. Whew!!
    My likes :5a, 20a, 5d, 6d, 9d & 24d.

We have had a violent mistral wind blowing here in The Var all day – not a cloud in the sky of course and The Med is brilliantly azure.
    I have extended my stay to early August then back to NL.

12. Centurion
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

After an initial pass I thought I would leave this one for the Grown Ups. It looked like a Toughie on the run to me. But I gave it a go and nearly succeeded, only to be defeated by 19d (missed the tennis thingy) and 18a (not in my vocab). Higher Management will now want to know why chores remain undone. Thanks to all anyway.

Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Well done Centurion, it is always worth a go

Posted June 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Well done – I’m a grown up and I thought that it was quite tough. 18a came to me from the recesses of my mind and did just about manage 19d. Who cares about chores – you do the housework and in another few months it needs doing again!! :smile: Unlike the grass – you cut it and it needs doing again in another few days!

• pommers
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I’m with you there Kath! I’ve just vacuumed and dusted the lounge for the onset of pommette’s mum, but I bet it will need doing again in about 6 months! Fortunately we don’t have any grass!

• upthecreek
        Posted June 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Kath. Congratulations on getting 20a. I suppose 23 was right up your street!

Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

23a was, of course, right up my street, probably just round the corner – unfortunately it took me a while …. brain not working too well today! However did manage 20a! :smile:

13. Prolixic
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable crossword from Virgilius. I spent more time in the SW corner than on the rest of the puzzle until the pennies finally dropped. Thanks to the setter and to BD for the notes.

14. Peter
    Posted June 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable and i found it very difficult, but got there in the end. I know that I am being a bit dim, but I cannot see the rationale behind 6d
    Thanks to BD and setter

Posted June 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Its a Cockney slang expression for wife – almost all of a word meaning tax followed by an abbreviation for check in a game of chess

• Peter
        Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks Crypticsue – I see it now. You’e a diamond. Did you find tihs crossword on the tricky side? There were some excellent clues
        Regards

Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

He has done a lot trickier than this one! Some excellent clues and I got to enjoy it twice as my review will be here on Friday lunchtime.

• Peter
            Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to reading it!