NTSPP – 069 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 069

Menagerie by Radler

– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the latest in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week we have a delightfully themed puzzle from Radler.  Both Prolixic, who test solved it, and I agree that this one is at the easier end of the Radler spectrum, so why not give it a go?

The puzzle by Radler is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 069

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle on this post.

1. pommers
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one so thanks to Radler. Excellent themed puzzle with all the across ones well clued without mentioning the theme subject.
    I’ll have to wait for the review as I don’t really understand 6d or 31d. Never heard of 8d but guessed it from the checkers and the wordplay.
    I think favourite is 37a.
    Thanks again Radler.

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

6d Remove EN D (end-less) from a word meaning busy to get the challenge

31d the beast is a charade of zeal and D(eparts)

• pommers
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

D’oh! Perhaps brain isn’t fully recovered from mate’s visit!
        Obvious or what?

• Prolixic
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

As BD mentioned, I test solved this one and found it very enjoyable. A review will be up later on today or sometime tomorrow depending on how sermon writing duties progress.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

When I first saw ‘Radler’, a moment’s despair crept in but would agree that this is very much at the easier end of Radler’s repertoire, helped I think by the theme. Lots of good clues but I would agree with Pommers that 37a is my favourite.

3. gazza
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Great entertainment from Radler and not as fiendish as he can be. I agree that 37a is top clue but I also laughed out loud at 24d.

• pommers
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Gazza, yes I laughed at 24d but then I do have a “Schoolboy” sense of humour! Never seen the word used in a crossword before!

• Spindrift
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle but tell me that 2d is the Latin word for “but” surrounding the flatulence going up. Yes?
      I’m looking for ward to the review as I think whoever it is they going to have their work cut out explaining some of the answers!

Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I’m assuming that you’re referring to 24d. It’s a cryptic and humorous way of saying “stops (one) making flatulent noises” reversed (returning).
        The definition is attacked (from an aircraft).

• Spindrift
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza however I still think my interpretation is better !

Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I’m sure you’re right, Spindrift. I’m just amused at the thought of a verb to de-fart :D