DT 26570 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26570 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

1a           The first gold being held by speculator (8)
Start with THE and an abbreviation for first, then insert the heraldic term for gold to get a speculator or philosopher

10a         Corporation’s backing obscene material! (4)
… I hope you have all remembered that corporation can also mean belly or stomach

18a         Ditch Foreign Office’s section (4)
To get this word for a ditch start with the abbreviation for the Foreign Office, and then add the possessive ‘S and S(ection)

23a         Cover part where traffic joins and leaves (12)
A charade of to cover or bury and a part or division gives where traffic joins and leaves a road

28a         Soldier to go off, it’s absolute nonsense (8)
A charade of a generic name for a private in the British army and a verb meaning to go off or decay gives a word meaning absolute nonsense

2d           House on left where craft is registered (4,4)
A charade of a house or dwelling and the nautical term for left gives where a seagoing craft is registered

8d           I’d say unpalatable alcohol contains some black liquid (8)
An expression similar to “I’d say” is derived by putting unpalatable alcohol around (contains) some black liquid used for writing

24d         Sly person gets round during commotion (2-2)
A charade of a sly person, from the Scottish word for a fox, and O (round) gives a commotion

25d         Romeo making an entrance, cut short (4)
Romeo is entry in the NATO phonetic alphabet for R, so insert this R inside CUT to get a word meaning short or abrupt

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {sen} + {say} + {shun} + {alley} = {sensationally}

1. toadson
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Quite enjoyed this today. Needed the electronic aids for 22d and 7d. 4d made me smile. Also liked 1a and 8d. Thanks to BD and the setter, and have a good day all.

• Tinhead
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

7d is driving me crazy. got the rest . don’t have any electronics. any hints?

Posted June 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Tinhead – welcome to the blog.
        For 7d see responses to comment #18 below.

• Tinhead
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Many thanks gazza. I think this site is fab. I’ll be back!!

2. Wayne
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

22d was a new word for me. 18a, should this be a five letter word ending with ‘e’ ?
    Very enjoyable solve, thanx to compiler and BD as usual.

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

The usual answer Wayne, Chambers gives both for 18a!

• Wayne
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

OK, thanx gnomethang.

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Give us a bit more of a clue Gnomey. I can’t see it

• Prolixic
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

An abbreviation for the Foreign Office (using the possessive form) followed by an abbreviation for section.

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Ditch Foreign Office’s section (4)

The definition is the first word. I’ll let you all work out the abbreviations of the remainder to get the answer! (its so short that any more and I would be giving it away!)

• Collywobbles
            Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Tks Prolixic & Gnomey, it’s the section bit that I don’t understand

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

The last letter is an abbreviation for section!

• Collywobbles
                Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Tks Dave. I han’t got Chambers yet, I’m waiting for the new edition but my dictionary gives it as having 5 letters

• toadson
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Can be spelt either way I think. I thought the 4 letter version was a waterfall in Yorkshire.

• Spindrift
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

It’s also a river in York which regularly used to break its banks when the rain came down from the Howardian Hills & flood parts of the city centre

3. Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

An enjoyable but not overly difficult puzzle, 27a, 6d and 8d were very good I thought. There were a couple of unknowns for me; 7d was very solvable from the clue and just needed the checking letters and although the answer to 24d was obvious I had to look up a word to confirm the construction – that was a new one on me too!.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD – If I were blogging I know what Youtube vid I would play for 3d but I suspect my musical preferences are in a minority!

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Probably it’s a good job it’s my turn to do the Cephas review, in that case :D

4. njm
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed puzzle today! Particularly liked 17d and 8d. Nice to finish without electronic aid or prompts from Big Dave – did need help from better half for 4d, tho’ :-)

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog njm

• Stephanie
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

love to know what electronic aid you use!

5. AtH1900
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

12d had me briefly puzzled until I realised that 18a wasn’t an embedded answer. I’d put CESS – which is a ditch – from “OffiCE’S Section”.

I liked 28a, 8d and 22d.

6. Mike in Amble
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed this morning’s puzzle.Fav. 8d. Did anybody else fall for the clever deception in the quickie 5d. answer or is it just my strange mind?
    Thanks setter and BD

• Franco
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

5d in the Quickie – Clue of the Day – very clever! I also missed that there are 4 parts to the pun – I stopped at 3.

• Franco
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Maybe, the DT have also missed the fourth word of the pun – only the first 3 clues are in italics (paper version)

• Mike in Amble
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Me too. :(

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

It could, of course, be three words or four.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Me too! Also spent some time trying to fit in a “Z” somewhere as I decided it was going to be a pangram. Wrong!

• Franco
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a “Z” – in 22a – Maybe I’m wrong!

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

So have I!

(I deleted your comment as I have amended mine).

• Franco
              Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I wondered what happened! Must stop drinking!!

7. John mather
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Struggling as usual. Where is all the help I usually get by this time on a Saturday.
    Don’t you understand how much I need you. My Saturday can’t continue until this is finished.
    Cheers john

• Prolixic
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

If there are particular clues that you need help with, say which ones, and someone will dive in to assist.

• Mike in Amble
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

How can I help John? Can’t give you answers but big hints. You need to get on with the rest of Saturday…. cricket, Derby shopping..

• Collywobbles
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Where’s Mary today

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Still on holiday.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I think she said, at the end of last week, that she was going to be away for a while – have a feeling that she said for about ten days but I could have dreamt up the last bit!!

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

She did say (on the 26th May) that she would be away for the next 10 days or so.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

So I didn’t dream it up then …

8. Nick
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

An enjoyable start to my Saturday. Thank you to the Setter and to BD.

Went through it quickly until the bottom right corner, and eventually needed some electronic assistance for 22d. Still a fair clue, though.

Favourites were 9a 11a 13a 21a.

Have a nice weekend.

N

Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Saturday puzzles always used to be relatively easy and then they went through a patch of being much more difficult (well, I thought so anyway) – this one seemed easier again. Managed to finish it quite quickly even though I was up at 5.00am to take a daughter to Heathrow – beginning to flag a bit now! :sad: I didn’t know the three letter “sly person” in 24d. Favourites were 9, 10, 21 and 28a and 6, 7, 8 and 19d. Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave. Have a good weekend everyone.

• Spindrift
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Kath
      Re:24D
      AKA Monsieur Reynard I think
      Spindrift

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Oh yes – thanks

10. jaycat
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Really liked this one, not too difficult but learnt a few new words..thanks to setter and BD

11. brendam
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

A few new words in today’s puzzle, though I had heard 22d before — and forgotten! Liked 8d the most followed by 4d. which really made me laugh. Any other queries I had have been very ably answered by B.D., [thankyou] and thanks to the setter too, where would we all be without a daily crossword to look forward to !! Have a good weekend everyone

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I sat in the car park of a garden centre waiting for Mr CS and filled in part of the time by solving this very nice crossword. DIdn’t take long but I did have a smile on my face when I had finished. Thanks to Cephas and BD.

13. Franco
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this and solved it quite quickly – spent most of my time trying to understand 24d – Thanks to BD for the explanation – I do nae speak Scottish!

14. Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the hint for 28a, Big Dave, because that helped me to finish this puzzle. I wonder whether that word gives us an indication of the compiler’s age because I’m sure that, in today’s parlance, we would normally use another word.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Cephas, and to BD.
    No particular favourites – the only one I did not like was 25d.

16. pommers
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle so thanks to the setter and BD.
    No particular favourites as all are good, but shouldn’t 15a be consigned to the rest home for retired crossword clues?
    If any of you have the time I can highly recommend the NTSPP from Radler. Not as difficult as his usual offerings and with a very good theme.

17. Stephanie
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

This is the first time Ive ever got to nearly finishing on a Saturday but Im stuck on 8d understand black stuff but nowt else

Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Stephanie – welcome to the blog.

8d I’d say unpalatable liquid contains some black liquid (8)
      It’s an archaic (and humorous) word meaning “it’s my opinion” (I’d say). Put black writing liquid inside an abbreviation of alcoholic liquid which has deliberately been made undrinkable (which doesn’t stop some down-and-outs from drinking it!).

• Stephanie
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

brilliant thank you = scottish fox is one to store away, can you explain why CORPORATION MEANS WHAT IT IS? cant see why it would mean ‘overhang’

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Stephanie, think of the corporation as a large stomach (middle aged spread) in a man then think of a familiar term for it!

Hope it Helps!

• Franco
            Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Pleased that I remembered this use of “corporation” .

Has it ever been used anywhere else – other than crosswords? Surprised to see that my thin version of Chambers (online) actually defines it at #3.

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Maybe not so remarkable, Franco, if one considers the Latin ‘Corpus’. This word is a stem for an awful lot of English (and other) words and these tend to be focused on in Chambers and other ‘proper’ dictionaries.

• Franco
                Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

“A” Level Latin – still brings on nightmares – even after 40 years!!

• pommers
                  Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Ditto!

18. Mr Tub
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Someone (possibly Cephas?) very wisely commented a few weeks ago that difficulty doesn’t have to equate to enjoyment, and I think today is a case in point. Not too tricky, for me at least, but lots of fun. That said I am stuck on 7d if anyone’s feeling kind…

Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

7d Old type size used for first four capitals in random order (4).
      It’s an anagram (in random order) of the first four letters of capitals, which gives you an old size of type (in printing).

• Peter
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, completed crossword some time ago bit did not understand the construction of 7D. After reading your hint all is now clear
        Peter

• Spindrift
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Think of font sizes & refer to the first four letters of the next word. OK BD?

19. Mr Tub
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Capitals! Of course! Thank you Gazza!

20. Lea
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Been busy doing some decorating so didn’t get to this till now. Really enjoyed it and did it in my best time for ages. Didn’t need hints but thanks fdor them anyway BD and thanks for an excellent puzzle Cephas.

21. Pentre
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I’ve never finished a cryptic without help – but thanks to the hints, and the comments here, I’m getting a bit nearer. I’ve done about half today but don’t know where to begin on 22d or 19d. On the plus side, I used to teach typing, and got 7d right away – it was the type size that equalled 10 letters to an inch (the other common one was Elite which was 12 letters to an inch). A first for me!

Posted June 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

19d Mostly view a city in plan of action (8)
      The definition is plan of action. Start with most (all but the final E) of a view (a landscape, for example) and add A and a South American city.

• Jezza
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

19d – A noun meaning ‘view’ without its last letter (mostly) followed by ‘a’ and a South American seaport, gives a word that means ‘plan of action’.

• Jezza
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

22d – start with a word meaning ‘offer’, follow this with one of the compass points (direction), and insert this into an abbreviation for ‘I am’, to give a word meaning ‘in the same place’, in a literary context.

• Pentre
      Posted June 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Thank you both – very satisfying to see all the white spaces filled!

22. Cali
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Can anyone help with 4d, 13a and 21a. Pretty please?

• pommers
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Cali
      4d is IN followed by wahta sound like (said) a French river.
      13a is a word for something depressing and is also a musical term
      21a synonym for full of beans is also a decription on soemthing full of gin

Probably be in the naughty corner again!

• Jezza
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

4d – The definition is ‘Extremely foolish’, and is constructed by ‘in’ followed by a homophone (said) of a French river.

• Cali
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks both – life would be very dull if you didn’t spend some time in the naughty corner!!

• pommers
          Posted June 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I think I’ve got away with it this time as BD, or someone else, would have edited my post by now if I’d overstepped the mark!

23. Red
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Thought I’d pipe up but only to crow about the fact that I didn’t need your help, for the first time in weeks! Nice and easy for a lazy, sunny afternoon.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Red – welcome to the blog.

24. John mather
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Well my sanity is restored and my faith in the bd blog and kind contributors is back. Lots of help in your posts which I find I continue to need although getting better. Would hope at some point to be able to finish this off by the time number three son returns from his golf lesson but unless they move these to Saturday afternoons I guess I will still need all your help. Anyway. Still can’t get 12d 19d 26a despite all the help. Frustrating.
    Johnny Confused.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

26a Old copper ran off with stitch (4)
      We want a verb meaning to stitch. Put the letter used for a penny (copper) pre-decimalisation in front of an anagram (off) of ran.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

12d Addict wants cordial — it’s easy to understand (4-8)
      The definition is easy to understand and it’s a claim made for almost every software package ever written. Put another word for a drug addict in front of an adjective meaning cordial or sociable.

Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

19d See the hints at comment #21 above. The city is the chief port of Brazil.

25. Collywobbles
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Very satisfying, especially when penultimate clue goes in. However, I can’t see 24d despite all the help, although I’m sure that I know the answer, I can’t identify a scottish fox

• Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

24 Sly person gets round during commotion (2-2)

Collywobbles, remove the ’round’ from the answer and look up the remainder online or in a dictionary. It was unknown to me as well (see my comment above)

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 5, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Tks Gnomey

26. Will
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

There was a lot to enjoy in this. I liked 21a lot; but I’ll have to remember about corporation ij the future. It had to be what it was and I figured it had to be to do with a stomach.

27. nalced
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Whizzed through the x word early doors with a few left. But post an afternoon of Rugby and Footie and despite the aid given earlier I am still stuck on 21a and 22d. Fav clues 13a & 4d. Thanks to BD et al and setter. Off down from North Wales for the 3rd day of the test at Lords. Handy having a meeting in London early on Monday!!!!!

Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

21a The word meaning full of beans is often preceded by “high-” to mean the same thing.
      22d The word meaning “to offer” in the middle of the answer is often used in the sense of to make an offer at an auction.

• Franco
      Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Enjoy the cricket tomorrow! Try to take a few early wickets!

gazza beat me to the explanations – I find that providing hints and tips is far more difficult than solving the puzzles!

• pommers
        Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Ditto again, on that last bit !

28. Lostboy
    Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Got stuck on 22d…….. I only knew the abbreviation, not the full word. Had to look it up on the Interweb.
    Otherwise, possibly the most staightforward Saturday puzzle ever.

Enjoyed it….. see you all tomorrow! :-)

29. Weekend Wanda
    Posted June 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Not posted for a while as been away – but still doing the Saturday DT prize x word. Enjoyed yesterday’s – very quick to finish MOST of it (assume Cephas). Got 7d due to aged secretarial training and therefore a “straight” answer as opposed to cryptic. Only got the second part of the clue having read this blog. Last Saturday’s was a real challenge but got there in the end – felt so satisfied eventually that I even posted it. Presumably that was the “other” setter. I like both but little comparison in terms of difficulty.