ST 2588 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2588 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a           PM included in issue raised by a predecessor (4,3,7)
This late 18th and early 19th century Prime Minister followed in the footsteps of his father

10a         South American bird that’s brown, alongside mature rook (7)
This South American bird, closely related to the bunting, is a charade of a shade of brown (3), a verb meaning to mature and R(ook)

11a         Second with exactly what’s needed as instruction for boxer (3)
… this boxer is a dog!

15a         A French duke embraced by US politician without being invited (8)
Start with the French indefinite and then put D(uke) inside the name of the current US Vice President to get a word meaning without being invited

27a         Measures taken about dance competition for English teams (8,6)
Put two different length measures around a dance to get a competition for English soccer teams

1d           Transmit piece of text put inside, possibly (4,8,2)
A phrase which could be interpreted as meaning to transmit a piece of text (the text being part of a paragraph) is actually a phrase for which to put inside prison is a definition-by-example, indicated by “possibly”

4d           With sweetheart, ran (6)
This all-in-one is my clue-of-the-day – combine E (the middle letter / heart of swEet) and a verb meaning ran to get a word meaning ran away with one’s sweetheart

16d         Endlessly he is at war, that hero of song (8)
Drop the final letters (endlessly) from H(e) I(s) A(t) WA(r) THA(t) to get the hero of a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.

25d         A soldier, for one, repeatedly used in man-to-man tussles (3)
This Crosswordland soldier is hidden not once but twice (repeatedly) inside the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Jamie-Lynn Sigler, best known for playing Meadow Soprano (30) and Trini Lopez (74)

Posted May 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

A good spattering of devious clues I thought today, and a puzzle that took me longer than normal to complete.
    I enjoyed the struggle, so thanks to Virgilius, and to BD for the notes.

2. Spindrift
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter (Virgilius?) and to BD for the hints – without which I would have really struggled. Enjoy your Sunday wherever you are.

3. Derek
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable Sunday fare – thanks Virgilius.
    I liked the fringe 14-letter jobs – particularly 27a after a lifetime working metrically!
    Also 10a – I have one of those bird clocks where a bird sings every hour and one is 10a!
    26a & 16d as well.

4. pegasus
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable Sunday offering from Virgilius favourites were 14a 16d but I have to agree with BD 4d priceless.Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the notes.

Posted May 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Nicely devious but eminently gettable, thank you Virgilius. Lots of good clues, my likes include 22a 16d and the aforementioned wonderful 4d. Thanks to BD too.

6. Digby
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable solve while sitting in the garden. Somewhat unusually almost all the long, multiple-word answers contained the same letter 3 times in a row. Many thanks for puzzle and the clues – not used as my broadband isn’t alfresco.

• Posted May 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Well spotted – and it’s all 4 of the fourteen-letter answers!

• Jezza
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

It happens again in two of the across clues that contain 11 letters.

7. gnomethang
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

A fairly quick solve but lots of good clues. I spotted the 3 letter repetitions a la Digby but can’t see any further relevance in anagrams etc.
    Many thanks to Virgilius and BD.

8. pommers
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable solve and alittle tricky in places!
    BTW, 12a nd 22a also have 3 consecutive letters the same! Can’t be a coincidence but I can’t see any reason for it!
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted May 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Looking at the ‘spare’ letters in the downs there Is OUR (row 2) and EYE (row 14) – probably got no significance it’s just that we all ought to be doing something better with our time this afternoon.

• Franco
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

A shot in the dark – but can the first word of 13d have anything to do with the 3-consecutive letter theme? (If it is a theme?) I really should be doing something else!

• Franco
          Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

PS! I understand the link between Jamie-Lynn Sigler, best known for playing Meadow, with this puzzle. But, Trini Lopez?? Is the Happy Birthday spot a new feature in the review – never noticed it before?

Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Birthdays started appearing a couple of Saturdays ago. Also I like your theory about the first word of 13d.

• Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve been running it for a few weeks and you are the first to comment on it!

• Franco
              Posted May 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Trini Lopez? Is there a link to this puzzle – or is it just his birthday?

9. Geoff
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Although fairly gentle on the whole, the last three or four took a while though I have no idea why. Needed several of the hints, but not for 27a would you believe?

Thanks to setter and BD.

10. Mr Tub
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Loved those long clues around the edges (proud to say I spotted the trebles), thought it couldn’t get any better than 16d, then along came 21d, but maybe my favourite of all was my last one in, 14a. Not the trickiest of puzzles, but certainly one of the most enjoyable. Thanks to BD for his tips, and a firm congratulatory handshake for the setter: well done, and thank you!

11. Nick
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Nice crossword. I thought it was fairly straightforward, but I got some of the longer ones early on and that always helps.

10a and 26a both new for me.

Favourite clue: 16d – I’ve never seen one set up like that before, very clever. Runner up, 21d. Marvellous.

I completely missed the wordplay for 4d so I’m glad I popped in here to see what an excellent clue it actually was.

Thanks for the Setter (Virgilius?) and to BD.

I’ll go 3* for difficulty, and a very rare 5* for overall enjoyment and style.

Nick

• Franco
      Posted May 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

21d – Think I’ve solved it, but do not understand why.

Posted May 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

‘extremely’ refers to the outside letters of the 2nd third and fourth words

• pommers
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Franco
        21d – Take the first and last letters (extremely) of the next 3 words in the clue to get a word meaning vicious.

• Franco
          Posted May 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks Both, I understood the “Extremely bitter…” part. But, unfortunately, I didn’t apply it to the next two words..D’Oh!

• pommers
            Posted May 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Have to admit it was pommette who spotted it first!!!!!!

12. Prolixic
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

The usual marvellous Sunday treat – many thanks to Vigilius for the crossword and to BD for the hints. Lots of good clues from which to chose a favourite. I think that 4d just pips the others to the post.

13. Addicted
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Please can someone explain 13d to me? I’ve got it – I think – because it was an anagram but don’t understand and have looked in Chambers – so is 13d another phrase for the clue??? Did finally finish but not without help from the hints- thanks BD! Don’t quite get 6d either. Loved 4d – which I got solo!! – don’t quite understand 9a – is “***” xwordese for “extended”? Never heard of 10a, or 26a but did get it by careful scrutiny of the clue and the help of Chambers. Actually enjoyed it – suffering from post-Satuday-wedding-hangover – was pleased to complete!

• Franco
      Posted May 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

13d – an anagram of “shattered it” (in disorder) – definition Hoi Polloi – the masses; the common people.

Posted May 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

6d Religious woman declared love is the answer (3)
      The definition is religious woman and the answer sounds like (declared) the number that love stands for in tennis.

• Addicted
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

“Doh”!! Of course – thanks.

• pommers
      Posted May 15, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Addicted
      From Wikipedia – “The Estates of the realm were the broad social orders of the hierarchically conceived society, recognized in the Middle Ages and Early Modern period in Christian Europe; they are sometimes distinguished as the three estates: the clergy, the nobility, and commoners”

As Franco says the Hoi Polloi are the common people so there’s your answer..

• Addicted
        Posted May 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

OK – I sort of thought that, but didn’t think to go to Wikipedia – must do that more often before asking! thank you Pommers

14. Franco
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

The solutions with the same 3-consecutive letters occurring 6 times in the same crossword! Can’t be a coincidence!

Will the compiler, please, come forward with the explanation. Please!!!

15. Brian Greer
    Posted May 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

When I was gridding the puzzle, I thought it would be fun to set myself the task of getting in a reasonable number of triples (which are not very common), and then see if anyone noticed.

Just a self-indulgence on my part — harmless, I thought.

• pommers
      Posted May 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Hello Brian
      Thanks for a very enjoyable puzzle. I do like Sundays – first good crossword and then followed by either MotoGP or Formula 1 and sometimes all 3!

• Qix
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 12:47 am | Permalink

That was a lovely touch.

• Lostboy
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Great puzzle, thoroughly enjoyed it- Thanks!

• Nick
      Posted May 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

My thanks also. I enjoyed it very much.

• Franco
      Posted May 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Mr Brian Greer,

A belated “Thank You” for explaining the “triples”! I can now stop trying to read something more devious into it!

I always enjoy the Sunday Crossword – even though it costs me £2.00.

PS! Well Spotted, Digby, at #6 above! (A bit sad, though – a slow Sunday morning?)