NTSPP – 058 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 058

A puzzle by Radler

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the latest in our series of weekly puzzles.

This puzzle from Radler lacks his usual trademark theme, but has a puzzle within a puzzle.  Solve the outer puzzle first and then the clues for the inner puzzle can be constructed.

The puzzle by Radler will be available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 058

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. Prolixic
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I had an early preview of this crossword when test solving for Radler. It is tricky in places but worth the effort. A review will be up later on.

With 1a, Chambers on the iPhone gives the old spelling used in the answer as an alternative to the more usual spelling.

Many thanks to Radler for the crossword.

• Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Strange that – it’s in as an alternate spelling but not in the main word list. I’ll amend the post.

Posted March 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I always have a bit of a Barrie-esque moment when I look at a Radler crossword but did better this time than his last NTSPP as I managed 8 clues on paper and so, after a considerable amount of looking and muttering, went to the online interactive version to get a few letters to get me going. I got on quite well after that, and there were a number of clues that I should have got without the trouble I had. Others I don’t think I would have got for some time. I did like 9a and the particularly Elgar-like ‘two men’ in 8d. A big D’Oh when I got that one! The puzzle within the puzzle was easy to get and I did enjoy that. Thanks to Radler for the brain mangling – I will try harder next time to get on your wavelength.

• Franco
      Posted March 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve just arrived on this page in order to print off the NTSPP. I tried not to look at any comments before attempting the puzzle – but I saw the word “Barrie-esque”! Horrid word!

Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Barrie-ish??? !!

3. gazza
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Radler for another good brainstretcher. I made it more difficult for myself by reading “muddied” as “muddled” in 11d. My favourite clues were 20d and 25d/7d. I still don’t understand the significance of Welsh in 6a.

• Prolixic
      Posted March 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I think it is simply a breed of sheep.

Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

There’s a breed of sheep called Welsh Mountain but I don’t think that’s the same as Welsh.

• Radler
          Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

It was just a light-hearted quip defining female sheep as Welsh woman – there being a great many sheep in Wales.

4. Qix
    Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Nice one, thanks Radler.

5. Posted March 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

I’m scratching my head having solved about 10 but will make another assault tonight after dinner.