ST 2578 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2578 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a    Unoriginal statement from Conservative in Chile after internal setback? (6)
This unoriginal statement or hackneyed phrase is derived by inserting C(onservative) inside Chile after reversing the middle three letters (internal setback)

11a    Acceptable way to address a knight? (4)
This word meaning acceptable, usually abbreviated to two letters, could be a way to address a one of the Knights of the Round Table

12a    Opportunity to order one diamond, for example (7,3)
The second part of this clue is cryptic – a charade of an opportunity and an order give what one diamond is (almost always) in the game of bridge

25a    Unpleasant experience, getting low grades in exam (6)
To get this unpleasant experience put two low examination grades inside a spoken exam

1d    Examine threat to king abroad (5,3)
A phrasal verb meaning to examine is a charade of a threat to the king in the game of chess and a word meaning abroad or away

2d    Front part of Jumbo jet? Just the opposite (5)
This hard white substance is what you find at the front of an elephant and jet is the opposite colour

9d    Great excitement in the Oval – monarch is one of those watching play (7-4)
Put an anagram (excitement) of GREAT between THE and O (oval) and add our monarch to get one of those watching a play

21d    The same as throttle? That depends (5)
As a verb this is a synonym for to throttle, as a noun it is a different part of a car to the throttle

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

1. Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Solved 90% quite quickly then scratched around the back of my head for the remaining few clues. Very enjoyable and should please all. Thanks to Virgilius and BD

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Some parts were definitely headscratchers and so the whole thing took me slightly longer than usual. Very enjoyable start to Sunday morning. Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

3. Upthecreek
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Best Sunday puzzle for ages. I wonder how many put ‘trunk’ in for 2d? Personal favourite was 12 but there were so many good clues, too numerous to mention. Many thanks to setter.

• Spindrift
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Ah! So it’s not trunk then…

• Upthecreek
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I hope I’m not in the doghouse again!

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Probably the elephant enclosure :D

• Upthecreek
            Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Its OK, I’m very thick skinned.

4. BigBoab
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Bottom left took a while for the penny to drop, otherwise fairly straightforward but quite enjoyable.

5. Dickiedot
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Wow that was a work out and a half, thanks to Virgilius and BD for hints. 12 and 6 &15 I thought good

6. Dickiedot
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Cricket lovely cricket need 8 fron 2.5 with 1 wicket left can we do it???

• Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Continue to chew nails I believe!

• Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

And that’s that!. Phew! – not bottom of the group then!

• Dickiedot
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Well who’d have thunk it

• pommette
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

It looked very dodgy for a while though!

• Franco
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I don’t like cricket……..No! No?

Oh! Yes!

7. pommers
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Exciting end to the cricket! I really thought we’d blown it but it’s not over until Dawn French is at the crease and singing!

Think I’ll go and do the crossword now.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Glad to see that normal service has resumed this Sunday – Thanks to Virgilius for the enjoyable headscratcher, and to BD.

9. MIKEINAMBLE
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Exciting finish to the cricket did not help to solve this very taxing but enjoyable puzzle. However everything has worked out fine. Off to tidy the platform flowers Mary.

• mary
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I shall look forward to seeing them one day :)

10. Digby
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

19 the last to go in what was a nicely stimulating Sunday morning test. Thanks setter, BD and England’s bowlers.

11. mary
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

A really tough one for me today needing all the help I could get and some of the hints, thanks Dave :) , last two to go in 7d and 19d, now they are done I think they are clever, also liked 17d, 23a I can see it’s an anagram with the O inserted but how does the answer equal shares, shared I can see but not shares?? IMHO a 4* today but some of the CC may prove me wrong! Never heard the word at 22a and wouldn’t have understood the second part of 12a without Daves hints

Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Mary,
      The definition in 23a is “regulated shares”.

• mary
        Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Ah yes, thanks Gazza

12. Derek
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable fare from Brian as usual!
    I liked 4a, 11a, 18a, 20a, 7d, 9d, 14d & 19d.
    Re 11a, the last three letters are the name of one of Arthur’s knights BD!

• Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I missed that.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks from me too – its in the draft review now!

• pommers
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Derek, I missed the Arthur bit in 11a too. Must be having an off day as I also could not see 7d at all !!! I put it down to doing Prolixic’s NTSPP over breakfast!!
      BTW, that’s a puzzle I would recommend to everyone.

• mary
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I missed it too!

13. mary
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Off to get ready to watch Big game and then one of Grandsons birthday meals, laters :)

• Franco
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

The Big Game starts at 16:00!

• Dickiedot
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Big game is on now and the score is wonderful!!!!

• mary
      Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink

RESULT, yes happy day, not sure Dave is so happy though!

14. Sarah F
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Just having a look at it—sounds good!
    Probably not get it all done today but there’s no rush.

Thanks to setter and for the hints–I shall need them!

15. pommette
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Exciting finish to the cricket meant we didn’t start this until late. And we struggled. West side went in without much problem but for some reason we were stumped on a few on the East side. 21a, 21d and 10a caused three big DOH moments. And I had to blog 7d for the Pommers – he admitted defeat! One up for Pommette at last!
    Thanks Virgilius and BD – off to sit in my hot tub for a while in the sunshine.

• Spindrift
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Pommette – the sun is shining here in West Bridgford with the only difference being that it’s 5 degrees C with a “lazy” East wind. More thick fleece weather than hot tub methinks!

• pommers
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

My Grandad used to use the term ‘Lazy Wind’ for one that couldn’t be bothered to go round you so went straight though – never heard anyone else use it though!
        We got one of those here too but it is 14C!

• Franco
          Posted March 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard of “The Lazy Wind” in Norwich – as you say, it goes straight though you.

If only it was14C!

16. Barrie
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

What an absolutely horrid puzzle, makes v little sense to me with part anagrams and convoluted clues. If it wasn’t for the phrases I would suspect a Ray T!
    My worst one ever for a Sunday.

17. Franco
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I’m normally too mean to spend £2.00 on the Sunday paper – but after all the recent positive reviews of the Sunday Crossword, I decided to part with my money! Definitely worth it – for time spent rather than enjoyment – found it a hard slog! Particularly liked 12a1

One clue remaining – 19d – Any help, please?

• Prolixic
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

You want an abbreviation for every year followed by a word meaning locks (as may be found on the head) reversed to give a word meaning undesirable.

• Franco
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Prolixic, Thanks for 19d!

Also thanks to Virgilius for my £2.00 worth! Where’s the recycling bin for the rest of the newsprint?

• Prolixic
          Posted March 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

The main reason I used the on-line facility is so that I can print off the weekend crosswords or download to the iPhone without having a small mountain of paper at the end of each weekend. For the rest of the week, I usually get the paper as it is much easier to complete the paper version on the train.

18. Prolixic
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Virgilius for a cracking crossword and to BD for the hints.

19. David S
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Can’t for life of me see 22a!
    Help appreciated…

• Upthecreek
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Child reversed + Alternative for rubbish = Sort of decree [ from German]

• David S
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you!
        I had to look it up in Chambers. New one to me.
        All done now…

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

And me – would probalby spelt it with a ‘C’ except it wouldn’t have fittled the clue ..

• Upthecreek
            Posted March 7, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Kath . I like it! All we have to do is perservate and fittle.

• mary
              Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink

glad you’re lerning to perservate UTC!

• Upthecreek
                Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I am lerning all the tome!

20. Addicted
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Well, I’ve managed only 12 clues – with the help of the hints – and am still looking at it blankly! Which is why I came onto the blog, to see if there were any more hints – not a lot! Can’t even get 12a, despite the hints!! HELP – please!! Got 1a “just like that” and thought “I’m in with a chance here” – ha, ha, ha, how the mighty are fallen.

• Franco
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

12a – Do you play bridge?

Posted March 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I will tlry and explain without giving the answer away. What you are looking for is the first ‘move’ in a game of bridge. A word meaning an opportunity or chance followed by another meaning to order in the sense of making an offer for something, eg at an auction.

• pommers
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

In a game of bridge, if you say “One diamond” it is likely to be your *******,***.

21. Addicted
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Oh wow! Thank you, all of you – actually Franco, no -have tried but no, really no- Crypticsue – yes! got it from your hint – bless you. And Pommers, thank you, but CS gave me the answer first. It’s a game I’d love to be able to play, have tried but to me it’s a bit like Chess – I can’t see the whole picture, I tend to focus just on my hand and that is HOPELESS! Can’t get my head around all this bidding bit! It’s all smoke and mirrors to me.Still can’t finish the b….. Xword though! Think I’ll give up and go to bed and read my book.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Well – if my life depended on the crossword today I’d be a goner! I had a quick look fairly early this morning – did a few – gave up, expecting the brain to come up with something useful while I was gardening – it didn’t!
    STILL stuck on 20, 22, 24a and 7, 17 and 19d. My husband and I have been trying for the last hour or so, over supper, and just can’t get them. Any help would be welcomed or is everyone now asleep?!!
    I think that this is the most difficult Sunday crossword for a while (forgetting last week) – thought that I was getting better at the Sunday ones – perhaps not!!
    Sleep well all …

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

7d A free broadcasting system, so-called (6)
      Put together A and a verb meaning to free or loosen to make an affectionate name for the BBC.

• Franco
        Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

But is the BeeB free? I still pay a Licence fee!

• Franco
          Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Oops! I now understand all the WordPlay. Thanks Gazza!

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

24a Reformed the son, following optimal policy? (6)
      It’s an anagram, indicated by reformed.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

For 19d see Prolixic’s hint in comment #17

17d Encourages understandings in speech (7)
      A verb meaning encourages (a rebellion, for example) sounds like (in speech) deep understandings.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

20a Liable to change key undertakings to settle on island (10)
      You want an adjective meaning liable to change. Put a musical key followed by undertakings to settle a debt all after an Italian island.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

For 22a see UTC’s hint at comment #19 above.

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza for all the helpful stuff – have finally finished but wouldn’t have done so without your hints – very much appreciated! :smile:
        Can now go to bed – not too late which is just as well after last night …
        Night night all

• Franco
      Posted March 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Kath, I haven’t tried the Sunday for quite some time, and found this one exceedingly difficult – as Mary would say “Needed a lot of Perservation”. But, after much Perservation, I managed all but one (19d).

Does Gazza get paid for overtime solving?

Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Franco – 19d is a two letter abbreviation for each year as in your salary is ‘£x ..’ followed by a four letter word for something that grows out of your head turned upside down – answer meaning someone who is avoided – as in a ‘social ……’

23. Qix
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

I was very late getting to this today. Life has an annoying habit of getting in the way of crosswords…

Very nice puzzle with some very good clues. Took a fair bit longer than the usual ST, but none the worse for that.

24. Spindrift
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Just 2 to do – 5d & 10a – it doesn’t help that I put the wrong answer in to 5d as my first entry! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I must get this finished as there is a danger I may break out into a spot of work!

25. Spindrift
    Posted March 7, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

As usual “Gnome’s Law” just kicked in! I’m not sure about 3d though…