Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

An uninspiring puzzle from an unknown setter.

1a    Drug seller’s cut cocaine hits me badly (7)
{CHEMIST} – to get this shop that sells (legal) drugs start with C (cut cocaine) and follow it with an anagram (badly) of HITS ME – “cut” usually means cutting just the final letter

5a    Fish’s a kipper (7)
{SLEEPER} – a double definition – the fish is not well-known – hands up those that put snapper!

9a    Lay a rug with regret, on reflection (7)
{AMATEUR} – a word meaning lay or non-professional is built up from A and a rug followed by a word meaning regret reversed (reflection)

10a    Giving the green light to what the landlord is doing? (7)
{LETTING} – another double definition – the landlord is one who owns property not one who runs a pub!

11a    Convinced to change ties if wearing blue (9)
{SATISFIED} – to get a word meaning convinced put an anagram (to change) of TIES IF inside (wearing) blue, as in depressed

12a    Permitted to drop Latin? Disgusting! (5)
{AWFUL} – start with a word meaning permitted or legitimate and drop the initial L(atin) to get a synonym for disgusting

13a    Starts to chew over coffee or alternative drink (5)
{COCOA} – the initial letters (starts to) of five words in the clue give a drink

15a    Dreadful pun our pal hated (9)
{UNPOPULAR} – an anagram (dreadful) of PUN OUR PAL gives a word meaning hated

17a    They read cruellest novel left out for Rector (9)
{LECTURERS} – these people who read are an anagram (novel) of CRUEL(L)EST with the L(eft) replaced by R(ector) – I didn’t like the definition as it is archaic

19a    Daughter eats rotten fruit (5)
{DATES} – D(aughter) followed by an anagram (rotten) of EATS gives some fruit

22a    Left area of church to pass into disuse (5)
{LAPSE} – L(eft) followed by a recess in a church gives a word meaning to pass into disuse

23a    Raised floors — in the Seventies they were fashionable (9)
{PLATFORMS} – these raised floors were also the name of a type of shoes fashionable in the Seventies

25a    Tenor touched by composer’s passages (7)
{TRAVELS} – T(enor) is followed by this French composer, not forgetting the S from ‘S, to get passages or journeys

26a    I’m getting tea — it’s nuts for parrot (7)
{IMITATE} – I’M is followed by an anagram (nuts) of TEA IT to get a word meaning to parrot

27a    Some pieces on at a Schubertiade? (7)
{SONATAS} – these instrumental compositions are hidden (some) inside the clue – a Schubertiade is an event held to celebrate the music of Franz Schubert

28a    Government admits deaths occurred here (7)
{GALLOWS} – G(overnment) followe by a word meaning admits gives a place where executions were carried out

1d    Lesson on origins of Indus Civilization is outstanding (7)
{CLASSIC} – put a lesson above (on, in a down clue) the initial letters (origins of) Indus and Civilization to get a word meaning outstanding or excellent

2d    Material somewhat flexible, last I checked (7)
{ELASTIC} – this flexible material is hidden (somewhat) inside the ckue

3d    Exemplars left out for plans (5)
{IDEAS} – take a word meaning exemplars or paragons and drop the l (Left out) to get these plans

4d    I put rude spread around front of Telegraph — evil (9)
{TURPITUDE} – put an anagram (spread) of I PUT RUDE around T (front of Telegraph) to get evil or depravity

5d    Outside one is flogged hard (5)
{SOLID} – outside I (one) put a word meaning flogged of traded to get a synonym for hard

6d    Criticized after hospital department gets caught (9)
{ENTRAPPED} – put a word meaning criticized after Crosswordland’s usual hospital department to get a word meaning caught

7d    Messed up final — galling (7)
{PAINFUL} – an anagram (messed) of UP FINAL gives a word meaning galling or irksome

8d    Soldier’s uniform (7)
{REGULAR} – a double definition – a type of soldier and an adjective meaning uniform

14d         Chaps entering US team in disguise for fun (9)
{AMUSEMENT} – put some chaps inside (entering) an anagram (in disguise) of US TEAM to get this fun

16d         Jockey gasping as horse’s walking sideways (9)
{PASSAGING} – an anagram (jockey) of GASPING AS gives a word, new to me, meaning a horse’s walking sideways

17d         Signs of green motorists? (1-6)
{L-PLATES} – simple cryptic definition – apparently enjoyed by some solvers

18d         Officer’s hat — brown with a touch of indigo inside (7)
{CAPTAIN} – this officer is built up from a hat and a shade of brown around I (touch of Indigo)

20d         Twister’s confused Ron at party (7)
{TORNADO} – this American term for a very violent whirling windstorm characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud, affecting a narrow strip of country is an anagram (confused) of RON AT followed by a party

21d         Methods of organising messy rubbish around street (7)
{SYSTEMS} – these methods of organising are created by putting an anagram (rubbish) of messy around ST(reet)

23d         Stakes a large sum of money after collecting spades (5)
{POSTS} – these stakes or poles a created by putting a large sum of money around (collecting) S(pades)

24d         Ruffle feathers initially next to small brook (5)
{FRILL} – a ruffle is constructed from F(eathers) and a small brook

If this didn’t float you boat then there is a Giovanni to look forward t tomorrow.

The Quick crossword pun: {picky} + {knees} = {Pekingese}

1. mary
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I thought this was another nice puzzle and enjoyed soving it, although once again it seems easier than we have come to expect on a Thursday, lots of nice anagrams, I liked the anagram indicator in 16d, favourite clues 5d and 5a, these were the last two in for me, also liked 17d and 23a ( I remember them well :- ), definitely not a RayT today! Yes a good week this week, hopefully a good one for CC today – thanks for hints Dave, off to read them now

Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I didn’t put snapper for 5a but I did put sweeper at first

• Nora
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I own up to snapper. I liked the anagram at 17a.

2. Wayne
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Good morning, I didn’t find this uninspiring maybe because it pitched at the level I am comfortable with. Loved the word in 4d haven’t heard that for some time. 23a caused an upturn in business at the local A&E Unit. Enjoyed the definition of the anagram in 16d. Best clue for me being 17d.
    The pun in the Quickie is great.
    Thanx to all as usual.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Agree with you Wayne bout this being a really good level, for me anyway :)

3. Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I didnt put SNAPPER at 5a but I did but GENERAL at 8d which caused a slight hiccup. Otherwise I found this OK – not scintillating but fine to solve. Thanks to BD and the mystery setter.

4. Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Not overly difficult today, liked the clue for 11a and 23a. Long time since I heard the word in 4d though

Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

A fairly innocuous puzzle today – pleasant enough, but no particular favourite clue.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

6. Roger
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Nearly, but not quite hard enough today. I agree Mary, a good week this week for me so far, 4 completed on the the trot without the hints.
    I managed 5a OK, but had to google it to be sure. Not sure about 23d though, I can put in the solution, but don’t quite “get” it.

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Roger

Your change of email address from hotmail to gmail has resulted in a different avatar.

• Jezza
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Re 23d – You need to think of ‘Stakes’ as wooden or metal supports driven into the ground.

• Rednaxela
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Roger, if you have lots of money you have **** of money [it rhymes]. Put this around S[pades] and you get a word for stakes.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Stakes are posts, pots of money is lots of money, put s for spades inside to get posts

7. Rednaxela
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I found this to be a straightforward solve today. Nothing too taxing, but I’m sure it will get some out of the CC.
    I thought 17d was a good clue. Thanks to setter and BD for the review

8. Nubian
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Fairly mundane for seasoned travellers but the Toughie adds a little spice to todays offerings, it’s worth a go by CCers if only to give you a confidence boost. It worked for me.
    Thanks to B Dave and Setter Incognita

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

My thoughts on the Toughie are unprintable! **!?##

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

does that mean it’s worth me having a go Dave? :)

• Jezza
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

….of which Bufo gets the pleasure to review!

• Andy
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Bufo has my utmost sympathy! An absolute horror IMHO

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

why, I’m enjoying it?

• Barrie
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Totally with you. Ghastly!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Do you mean it’s difficult or that you didn’t enjoy it?

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I kind of see what you mean Dave, I have done half so far and some of the clues are, well different???

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

In my view, there have been much worse Excaliburs than this one!

9. mary
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Could this be another Jay? today

• Prolixic
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I doubt that this was one of Jay’s crosswords. From the little that has been said, Ray T covers most Thursdays with another mystery setter once a month. There are some possible suspects for the mysterons. It has been mentioned that Anthony Plumb sets some weekday puzzles and this may be one of his.

Another possibility is Allan Scott who sets the Everyman crossword in the Observer. One of the clues in a recent Tuesday puzzle was almost word for word a clue from one of his Everyman puzzles. It may be that he is the Tuesday Mysteron. Allan has also set Toughies under the pseudonym Campell though I cannot recall a recent puzzle from him in the Toughies. It could therefore be that he has moved to the back page.

From memory, I seem to recall that Messinae (or was it Micawber) once poped up on a Thursday but I cannot think when. This did not feel like one of their puzzles. On the other hand, Messinae has also disappared from the Toughie for nearly the past three months so it may be he is setting a back page puzzle every now and then?

Here endeth today’s idle conjecture :)

Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

thanks for that :)

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

You are certainly right about Anthony Plumb setting the back page puzzle once a month, because he told be so at Derby. What he didn’t tell me was which ones they were!

The quality of the new Saturday setter on alternate weeks strongly suggests Richard Palmer (Messinae).

There’s a lot of info about setters on Michael Curl’s “Best for Puzzles” site:

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I found this a bit harder than most other people seem to have done – don’t know why – maybe brain just not in gear today.
    Took a long time to get three of the long anagrams which slowed things up – completely missed the anagram indicator in 16d – when I did finally get it had to look it up as I’ve never heard of it.
    Liked 5a (but had to check it in the dictionary) and 23a and 17, 21 and 24d.
    My worst crossword day for ages – I mean ME not the crossword!!
    Thank you to the setter and to Big Dave.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I will admit to snapper in 5a! Just a straightforward, nothing special, Thursday puzzle for me, thanks to the setter, whoever it is. Also thanks to BD for the hints.

Have a go at the Toughie, I don’t think its Toughie standard but I did manage to get to the end of it with only two groans and at least one complaint about wordplay which I shall comment on in the right place.

12. Andynew2
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s puzzle as I think the setter has the balance about right. 16D threw me for a while as I hadn’t come across the word jockey as an anagram indicator before.
    I guess you learn something every day with the DT.

13. Geoff
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The lower half was simple enough but didn’t complete the upper without a few hints, then finished all the downs from the checking letters.

Have to agree with BD comments and ratings, it didn’t do a lot for me, but thanks for puzzle and review.

14. Barrie
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Glad you all thought this was easy, for me one of the most difficult in a long time! What on earth is 5a all about? Horrible today as far as I am concerned YUK!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

a sleeper is a kind of fish Barrie, and a sleeper is also somone who kips – a kipper

• Barrie
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Glad you enjoyed this horror Mary, I thought it was quite one of the most unpleasant puzzles I have seen in a long time! Def NOT my cup of tea. Ah well back on set now! This is a very noisy movie!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I really thought you would have liked this today Barrie, perhaps your minds not on it, any big names around you??

• Nora
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Sometimes, Barrie, it´s just about being on the right wavelength or in the right mood. Tomorrow´s another day!

• Dynamic
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

My PinC seemed convinced it was referring to fish as in fish-plate – which goes on a railway sleeper! I guess it’s really supposed to be about the sleeper as a goby fish, which we couldn’t find in my 18-y-o copy of Chambers.

15. Nestor
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Throrughly enjoyable. Last in were the south-easterners (anything east of Bournemouth is south-east to me, Gazza ;-) ).
    It did not help that I had plusfours for 23 and had convinced myself that a) they were popular in the 70s and b) it isn’t too outlandish to think these English may have called them “raised floors” (i.e. lower end of the trousers lifted!). The only word that fitted 16d was POSTURING and I missed the anagrind in 16d completely.

Saving me was 20d which was so obvious it just had to be correct. Then I saw the 16d anagram and finally my raied floors also fell into place.

Self-analysis: My colloquial English is simply not rich ernough to include fashion terms from the 70s and only a horsey type may know what a horse’s sideways gait is called.

*** enjoyment and ** difficulty.

Thanks to setter and BD!

16. don1991
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

If ever there was to be a dictionary definition of a “beginner’s cryptic crossword” this would be it. Far, far too many anagrams, most of which were barely disguised. I agree with BD with the exception of the 2*, it was barely worth 1*.

• Barrie
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Sorry for difficulty for me a 4 star!

• don1991
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Well Barrie, I guess from this and your previous posts that you were far from in love with this one. Its strange how different people view the same puzzle. I didn’t loathe it quite as much as you but for me it was ludicrously easy, taking less that a cup of tea to solve. However, take yesterday’s toughie. I found that completely impenetrable and gave up completely after about 10 mins. Hopefully tomorrow’s will meet your approval.

• Rednaxela
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I agree about yesterday’s toughie. I was too toughie for me. I gave up too after about the same length of time. Still, another day, another puzzle. Nil desperandum, as the Romans would have said.

• Ainsley
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Me too as I commented yesterday

17. Barrie
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

By the way the dressage term in16d is wrong. Passage (long ‘a’ it’s a French word) means’ A movement in trot with an extended moment of suspension. The horse’s quarters carry more weight and propel him forward.’ The horse doesn’t go sideways but has a sort of moment of suspension between steps. What the setter is getting confused with half or full pass, totally different movements. I never really managed any of them during my dressage tests when I was Eventing. Dressage is a bit like watching paint dry IMHO.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

You need to write to Chambers and tell them they’ve dropped a clanger, Barrie. They have passage as “a slow sideways walk”.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

wow now that is some knowledge there Barrie, an eventer, an actor and a circumverbalist (is that spelt right?) :)

Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

no I’m sorry, someone please correct me! although perhaps Barrie is? :)

• Spindrift
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I think circumverbalist is a suitable word to describe most politicians. I will certainly use this in future.

• Franco
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

“Circumverbalist ” – a good word for my attempt at today’s Toughie – round and round in circles, making no progress!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Like it, Ah well, another new word for the list, I haven’t seen many people perservating lately though :)

• Barrie
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I think that word well describes my current job on The Iron Lady, my God but arn’t politicians a verbal bunch! Lots of big names on this one, Meryl Streep, Richard E Grant, John Sessions, Geoffrey Palmer, Jim Broadbent, Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy). Currently in the mock-up of the House of Commons and I am hoarse from all the shouting and barracking. Just stopped for a welcome cup of tea and then we’re off again.

• Barrie
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Yes I evented for 20 odd years until me and the horses got too old. Great fun once the Dressage phase is out of the way (just goes to show even Chambers can get it wrong sometimes! – I direct you to http://www.classicaldressage.net/glossary.html).

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Chambers actually has two definitions for Passage in context with dressage:

passage (dressage)
            noun
            * A slow sideways walk
            * A rhythmical trot with diagonal pairs of legs lifted high

The ODE only has:

passage
            noun
            * a movement performed in advanced dressage and classical riding, in which the horse executes a slow elevated trot, giving the impression of dancing.

• Barrie
              Posted February 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Interesting because sideways passes are always done at the trot in dressage as the ODE defines it. Never heard of a Passage movement in the walk, at least not in classical Dressage or at the Spanish Riding School or the French Cadre Noir.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

sounds really exciting, where are you filming?

• Barrie
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Another break in the shouting. The filming is taking place in the old studios in Wimbledon that were the set for The Bill, the ITV police soap and most of the Sun Hill set is still here but now pretty decrepit.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

No wonder you couldn’t concentrate on the crossword!

• Jezza
              Posted February 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Is that Deer Park Road?

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

My ex-boss walked into “Sun Hill Nick” to ask for directions (he was 200 yards away from his destination, just across the road)
                I kniow where that is!

18. mary
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Would you believe it I have completed the toughie!!!! not sure about 3d, I have an answer but will wait to see :)

• Andy
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

It threw Bufo as well who needed BD to assist for the review!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

yes actually got it right didn’t understand it but it fitted :)

19. Prolixic
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to the Mysteron for today’s crossword. I found it more enjoyable that some though I agree with the difficulty level. Thanks to to BD for the review.

20. BigBoab
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Not the most difficult crossword but I quite enjoyed it, thanks to the setter and to BD.

21. Centurion
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I’m still in the Recovery Ward after looking at Elgar’s Toughie yesterday, so this was a good puzzle to begin my rehabilitation to back-page fitness. Clever without being too clever and solvable without learning the OED off by heart so a 3 and 4 stars for me.

I shall of course now give the Toughie a miss as I want to avoid another “quick, nurse, the screens” moment.

Thanks to all those involved in my treatment.

22. pommers
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Pleasant enough but not difficult! Pommette and I don’t bother timing ourselves but it feels as though we may have set a new record today!
    Thanks to the setter and BD

23. pommers
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Came across a print of ST2546 this morning while sorting out some old paperwork. I’m glad I did.
    What a fantastic puzzle! Well up to the standard of recent Virgilius offerings.
    If you haven’t done it I strongly recommend you have a look if you’re on CluedUp.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

thanks Pommers but I’m all crossworded out for today :)

Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Same here!
        I’ve done today’s DT, Toughie, ST2546 and failed miserably with the ‘Paul’ in the Grauniad!
        Enough for 1 day methinks – off to supermarket now (and bar with a bit of luck!)..

Posted February 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

what’s the weather like? remind me of the place you live, I looked it up before and it sounds beautiful

Posted February 10, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Small town called Almoradi, in the Province of Alicante, about 40km south of the city and 10km inland. We actually live in a small village called El Saladar which is about 1.5km outside Almoradi town centre.
            There’s some photos on my Facebook page. I’ll send you a public link if you’re interested. Here’s the Town Hall’s website http://www.almoradi.es/en/inicio.html
            Weather today beautiful, got up to about 18C this afternoon and not a cloud in the sky so crosswords and lunch outside in the courtyard. Still getting down to near freezing overnight though!
            Off to pub now!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

No I’m not! Forgot it’s Thursday and it’s their closing day! D’oh!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Where in S. Wales do you live? Don’t know the south too well but we used to go to Tenby or Saundersfoot for hols when I was a kid. Also the company I worked for has a factory in Aberbargoed. I know N. Wales a lot better.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the info Pommers, I will look at the link later, whenever I tell anyone where I live most people say, Oh yes we know, we passed through on our way to Tenby! you can’t get to Tenby without going through, and back then it was a right bottleneck for holiday traffic, I might leave you to think about it, we are about 20 miles from Tenby, which is slightly further West, It is South West Wales

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Carmarthen? I seem to remember dad moaning about the traffic and me saying ” Dad, are we nearly there yet?”

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

your memory serves you well :-D

• Spindrift
      Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Pommers – I think I need the date it appeared to access it. Much appreciated if you have it.

• Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

If you select “Crossword Puzzles” then you can enter a puzzle number (just the digits)

• Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Spindrift – it was 25th July 2010. In any case if you go to ‘Play Puzzles’ and search by ‘Cryptic’ then plug in the number it returns the correct puzzle.

• Spindrift
          Posted February 11, 2011 at 9:58 am | Permalink

As usual the stalwarts come to the rescue!
          I’m not totally au fait with the workings of the puzzles website however I got there eventually.
          Many thanks to both.

24. Little Dave
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Fairly enjoyable although 26a is getting a little long in the tooth. Last in was 25a.

25. paolors
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I quite liked this. Straightforward but some nice clues. Enjoyed 17a. I got 16d but always thought it was passing, learn something new every day… still, that said, not even close to a Ray T delight.

26. hangman1009
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Not my favourite this week, but I started well …. then I needed BD’s (thank you) help with the bottom half. I don’t like it when single letters are used to complete clues; e.g. 28a G for Government and 12a L for Latin. I liked 11a. Looking forward to tomorrows !

27. Pete
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Having spent the day in the sunshine of York only sat down with this offering after supper. Thought it pretty mundane with nothing to really write about.
    Did enjoy reading the blog though, much more interesting. Did not realise there was so much to dressage and that is probably why I find it a complete turn off.
    Thanks to the mystery setter and Big Dave for the hints.

• Spindrift
      Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Just booked 2 nights in York. Going home to celebrate the mater’s 80th. Once I’ve been back I have to be dragged kicking & screaming home to Middle England! However that’s where my business is so retirement to God’s own county will have to wait.

28. Franco
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

If anyone is joining the After Eight Club tonight, Nestor has set us a clue that I cannot solve.

See Toughie 509 – comment #15

Unfurl boxed abaci, permute a bit and find the watery objects of my thanks (9,3,2)

Any ideas?

Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Franco – I’m here.

Yeah, saw that earlier but haven’t really thought about it yet.

Answer is almost certain to be ‘Excalibur and BD’ (9,3,2)

Can’t see where he’s coming from yet but it’s at least a partial anagram of Abaci and some other bits.
      I’ll cogitate for a minute or so.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I think the enumeration should be (9,3,4). It’s an anagram (permute a bit) of UNFURL BOXED ABACI

Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Correct Gazza!

See it now but I was trying to work out where the UOF had gone and where the D would come from!
        Don’t believe everything you read!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Also forgot it was Bufo who blogged the Toughie – I was thinking of BD on this one – D’oh! Might have got there quicker with a bit of common sense!

• Franco
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Gazza, I bow to your superior knowledge!! (I still haven’t solved this yet), but I have every faith in your judgement that the enumeration should be (9,3,4).

Quite liked “Excalibur and BD” from Pommers even though it was completely wrong!!

Back to trying to work out this anagram – I might be some time!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Not completely wrong – just the wrong blogger! Got my cryptic mixed up with the Toughie!

• Franco
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Aagh! Excellent, not completely wrong at all! And a very nice clue from Nestor!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Thought abaci was a bit forced but otherwise very good.
              I’d forgotten we were actually talking on the cryptic thread blogged by BD so didn’t notice the emuneration error.
              Trust the giant brain of Gazza to spot it!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

You’d already done the hard bit !

• Nestor
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Unforgiveable that I made that typo in the enumeration. You got the”watery” bit as well>

• Nestor
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all who took up the challenge ;-)

• Nestor
          Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

… and I keep making typos. I meant to write a ? but hit the >.

Question was : “You got the”watery” bit as well?”

Posted February 11, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Presumably an allusion to the Lady of the Lake?

• Nestor
              Posted February 11, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Bufo is Latin for toad, an amphibian and depending on whose version you follow, Excalibur either came from a lake and/or was thrown into a lake.

29. Ann Robinson
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Lecturers for readers in 17a is not really archaic; it is a term used in university circles.

• Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ann

On reflection you are right.

BTW If you don’t have your own website, please leave that box blank. If you put something invalid in there a bad link is created (I’ve deleted it on this comment).

30. Ainsley
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Hello all. Just got home from the office and just settling down to the cw. Not looked at the comments yet. Hope all the After Eighters are all around. Back soon.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Ainsley

Yep, I’m here letting dinner digest before bedtime. Hairy Bikers Somerset Chicken tonight washed down with a bottle of white Rioja! Yum!!!
      V good recipe but pommette and I did it with pork fillet instead of chicken.

• Franco
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Ainsley, I arrived early. All the lights were out .But I found the key under the doormat, so I let myself in.

• Ainsley
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Franco. Not sure what to say! Must have got the wrong house cause when I arrived there was a full house!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Franco let us in!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

If you just got back from the office you either start late or work too hard! Reminds me of pommette when she was at Price Waterhouse – 12 hour days the norm!

• Ainsley
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Food sounds good pommers. I am an accountant too but at least I am working for myself and not a demanding boss like PW. Although all my clients are my bosses of course. 2/3 of the way through and quite enjoyable

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

The recipe is great and works well with chicken or pork. Simple to cook and highly recommended, as is white Rioja if you can find it in the UK. I think the Spanish keep most of it for themselves!
          Pommette wasn’t an accountant but a computer whizzkid working on financial systems. She also worked for Barclays, TSB and Girobank over the years. (as well as Coopers & Lybrand and KPMG), she changed jobs more often than I change underwaer!

• Ainsley
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Too much info!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Too many jobs!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

You finished the cw yet? It’s certainly one where getting out of the CC is a possibility, if, indeed, you are a member. Don’t know what your skill level is.

• Ainsley
                Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I think skill level is just out of the CC – normally manage to finish and mostly without hints like today.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Therefore you are what Mary descrbes as a JOCC (just out of clueless club) I guess.
                  Try today’s Toughie – it’s a bit wierd but accessable I think.

• Ainsley
                    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

I’ll give it a go

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

No pressure – but Mary finished it!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

what Pommers is saying Ainsley is that if I can anyone can, seriously though, alright Pommers I know you were serious, I really enjoyed it, I don’t do toughies the cryptic is more than enough for me but after BDs comment on the cryptic today, I just had to take a look, despite some of the comments I thought it was fun :)

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Mary, sorry, I wasn’t getting at you at all but as a founder member of the CC, if you can now do that Toughie it’s wonderful!
                      I also enjoyed it but I do think Excalibur has a wierd slant on clueing! I think BD et al may go a bit overboard in their reaction.to her!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I know you weren’t Pommers, I was only joking :) you are up very late tonight?? Off to bed now, ‘see’ you tomorrow

31. Ainsley
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Just finished – 16d last in – must mean horse walking sideways? Never heard of this before.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

See previous post from Barrie #17. There’s been a fair bit of discussion about this one!

• Ainsley
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks pommers will do

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

There are several comments on that further up in the blog Ainsley, now that didn’t take you long so you are definitely not in the CC :-D

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Hello Mary, didn’t realize you were here.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Pommers what you doing up so late? I just ‘spoke’ to you higher up :)

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

or it may have been on the toughie page!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Just seen it and took a guess!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

what did you guess? 1st letter???

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

no it was higher up see comment 23

• Franco
              Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Mary, I am very surprised to see that you are still on the Cryptic Page!

I thought you had become a Toughie?

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

one day only Franco, normal service will probably be resumed tomorrow, I am quite dizzy with all this jumping about!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Tuesday Toughies are usually not too bad and, I reckon, accessible to a JOCC – mostly but beware!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

well I will visit again next Tuesday maybe

• Ainsley
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary but it was the easiest of the week. Needed several hints Mon to Wed. Yes I have seen Barrie and others comments re 16d.

32. pianydd
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

16d left unfinished for me, although the only word I could see would fit was the solution. I have never come across jockey as an anagram indicator before, but in fairness one can’t argue against it I guess.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a really good anagram indicator pianydd, its nice to get unusual ones, are you Welsh?

• pianydd
        Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Agree that it was a very clever anagram indicator, just hadn’t come across it before. Yes, very much Cymraeg from the wilds of Snowdonia, and do dabble more than a little with the piano – hence the name!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

so we are from opposite ends of Wales then pianydd, the ‘ydd’ did kind of give the game away, love Snowdonia, have walked up Snowdon twice but that was a few years ago, last time took the train up :) do you play professionally?

• pianydd
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Professionaly is a big word! In that I get paid (modestly) for my efforts, I suppose technichally that is correct, and it supplements my meagre income as a taxi driver. Am the accompanist for a local male voice choir, who have been established over 50 years, and embark on many concert tours. No, not the Fron, but another one!

Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Pianydd
          My favourite anagram indicator is ‘bananas’ which has been used a few times over the last year.
          Snowdonia is wonderful. Know it quite well as I kept my boat in Conwy for 14 years.

Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

we used to keep ours in Neyland, night!

• pianydd
            Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

An overheard conversation on the ramparts of Conwy Castle – Gee what a truly awesome place, such a shame they had to build it so close to the railroad!

33. TimCypher
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Fairly fun puzzle that occupied my train journey home this evening.
    17d was a ‘forehead-slapping’ moment as it clicked what the clue was getting at.
    Yeah, all good stuff! :)

34. mary
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Off to bed now, thanks all for your ‘company’ good luck with the toughie Ainsley, Nos da pianydd :)

• Ainsley
      Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Night Mary. Slow going on the Toughie just two in at the mo

35. pommers
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Off to bed now, it’s midnight here.
    Good luck with the Toughie Ainsley – Excalibur is a bit wierd!

G’night all

36. chadwick ong'ara
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

This has the makings of an Everyman puzzle.Please help;1 Moon with hot surface,not all pale rings(6)—B-S 2 Musical composition,Stranded Craft?(4-4)—R -O-K 3 Original function of furry beasts(6)U-S-N – 4. Try keeping bottom of rockery covered with shrubs(8)—-H–Y 5.Place regurlarly seized by model,so arrogant(8)_O-L-F-Y 6.It is pieced together from one of the prophets(6)-O-A-S 7.Horribly fat and old,shortly cut out butter and eggs(8)-O-D-R-X