NTSPP – 051 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 051

A puzzle by Qix

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the fifty first in our series of weekly puzzles.

Qix makes a quick return to the NTSPP fold with this new puzzle. He’s promised not to use triple unches in future!

The puzzle by Qix will be available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 051

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. Prolixic
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable and not to taxing puzzle that I hope lots of people will enjoy. Many thanks to Qix for the crossword. I will post a review later today.

2. Prolixic
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

The clue for 26a should be (4,4) not (8). The parsing on the interactive version is correct!

• Qix
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks for pointing that out. It was my mistake.

• Prolixic
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I am now back on a PC and have corrected the page.

• Qix
          Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks again!

I should really have removed the enumeration from 18A as well, since it’s already in 1A.

3. gazza
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Qix for an enjoyable puzzle. My favourite clues were 8a and 16d.
    In one of these weird coincidences Thursday’s Morph (Micawber) in the Indy had “Unreliable deserter found in Morecambe (7)”.

4. pommers
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

OK, here goes!
    Back later.

5. pommers
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Hello Qix
    Well that was a lot easier than your last one! just about my standard, a bit of a challenge in places but doable.
    Plenty of good clues but ones I particularly like are 1/18a, 8a, 24a and 23d for it’s smooth surface reading.
    Don’t really understand 25d.apart from ‘behind’ is the definition. I had ‘off’ meaning ‘under way’ until I’d completed the grid and didn’t get the message to tell I’d finished. Didn’t understand ‘off” either!. Pressed check ‘cos when this happens it’s usually a typing error and off was highlighted as wrong so after a rethink I came up with aft which is correct – but why. Am I being stupid here?
    Anyway thanks for a most enjoyable solve!

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

25d Under way is “afoot”.

• pommers
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza – so I WAS being stupid! Thought that might be the case.

6. Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Many thanks for a really fun puzzle Qix. 21d and 27a had me going for ages at the end and I thought that 15a and 26a were fine clues.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you Qix for a great Saturday afternoon puzzle which, apart from a couple of clues, I found slightly easier than your last NTSPP.

8. Qix
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all for the kind comments.