DT 26462 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26462 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

I will be at the Sloggers and Betters meeting in Derby all day, but I’m sure you will be looked after by the rest of the team.

1a    Arab chief, he left one from the subcontinent (4)
Start with an Arab chief, remove HE (he left) and you get someone from the Indian subcontinent

10a    Tools, five pairs found amongst litter (6)
Combine a collection of tools with five times two to get something you might find in a litter

21a    Rissole lamentably cooked away from New York (8)
This rissole is an anagram (cooked) of LAME(N)TABL(Y) after NY has been removed

26a    Divert from southern route (4)
A word meaning to divert is a charade of S(outhern) and a route

1d    Soup kitchen? (9)
A cryptic definition of a place where goods, not soup, are stored

7d    River Wear? (5)
A double definition – a river which forms part of the border between England and Scotland and a cloth produced in the Hebrides

18d    Fellow on French water — boater, maybe? (7)
A charade of a fellow and the French for water gives an item of clothing of which a boater is an example

21d    Greek character thus produced pleasing sounds (5)
A charade of a Greek character and the Latin for thus gives these pleasing sounds

The Crossword Club will be open soon after breakfast! Feel free to leave comments.

1. Sarah F
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Just getting into this one. Looks a pleasant run-through for Saturday and not too tricky,

2. toadson
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Quickest finish for me for some time (aids and some hints used though!). Last one in was 14a, because I couldn’t see the relevance of ‘judge’. Also made it harder for myself by initially putting ‘release’ for 4d.
    Looks a little brighter today – enjoy the weekend all.

• Collywobbles
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Thanks toadson, I’ve just put release in. Now I’ve got to work out what it really is

Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

a postman might do this with a letter, a synonym for free and for to make a speech

• Collywobbles
          Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary. So clearly ***** eye was not correct but I don’t see how ‘free’ fits in

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Free is the definition – Look it up the answer transitive verb or look up Free in a thesaurus.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

If you free someone, say from slavery, you would ******* them from slavery

• Collywobbles
              Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Got it. Thanks Gnomey & Mary

Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

it’s a double definition clue :)

• Peter
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Oh. I’ve got ‘release’

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

see hints above Peter

3. Barrie
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I too fell into the ‘release’ trap but 11a made it clear. Still stuck on the bottom right which is a bit tricky today. It’s 19d thats got me foxed even with 3 letters completed Grrr! Didn’t we have 24a fairly recently in another crossword, seems familiar? Just don’t understand 22a either, can’t seem to fathom the clue at all.

• Barrie
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

With the help of my electronic aid, I have solved all but that pesky 22a (don’t see what conflict has to do with 19d though?)

• toadson
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

19d – three letter word meaning ‘conflict’ is in the answer – with your military past, you’ll kick yourself Barry!

• Barrie
          Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

AHHHHHH so obvious!! Thx for the help :-)

• Prolixic
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

24a was in last Sunday’s crossword.

• toadson
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

22a – first part of answer is a 3 letter alternative for ‘club’, second part is in the clue ..

• Barrie
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Got it, again obvious when you see the answer but I wasn’t helped by my poor handwriting making the first letter look like an R – DOH!

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Barrie,

19d. Put a word meaning a conflict inside a word meaning the greater part of something to give a word for a fortification.

22a. A word for a club followed by a three letter word set out in the clue gives a word meaning had a swim.

4. Spindrift
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Even with the hint I still can’t see why 1d is what it is & I hate entering an answer if I don’t understand how I got there – it almost feels like failure.

• toadson
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

The first word is the essential base for a soup – often left on the stove in a pot for days.

• Sarah F
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thanks, got it now.

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Split the answer 5,4 and you have other words for soup and kitchen

• Spindrift
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Aha! Cries of Eureka resound from the roof tops! Thank you to both.

• Peter
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Id is a pretty poor clue.

5. Robert
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

morning all– all finished save for 9a– any help please? :-)

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

You need an abbreviation for father followed by an a, two abbreviations for a penny and the first letter of espresso to give a word meaning chilled.

• Barrie
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Think of a common abbreviation for father for followed by the abbreviation for 2 pennies giving one of those fancy coffees you get in Starbucks etc

• Collywobbles
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’ve never been into Starbucks, help me out here

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Collywobbles, Prolixic’s charade is the way forward. The definition of chilled relates to a chilled drink, in particular a chilled coffee based drink that is iced or artificially cooled.

• Collywobbles
          Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gnomey. I had ‘penny = d’. I must be getting old. In fact so old that I’ve never had a ******

6. Don Pedro
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

The on-line site is still lamentably lacking in quality control. Opening the Quick GK this week produces last week’s (completed) puzzle.

7. Robert
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Cheers Polixic and Barrie -gotcha :-)

8. Wayne
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Sailed through todays in record time for me. Nothing particularly mind stretching , would only give it a * for difficulty. Recognise 24a from a recent Telegraph crossword.
    Thanx to Compiler and to BD who must have got up at the crack of dawn to post his review, note it was at 0700hrs.

• Wayne
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Liked the pun in the ‘Quickie’ but not heard of that definition for a female ruff before.

9. Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

A very nice puzzle with no real problems (apart from the typso that I made myself!). Thanks to the Setter. I will also be around most of the day if anybody requires further help.

10. Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

After making enthusiastic comments about last Saturday’s puzzle, I found this to be a disappointing anticlimax and, whilst I haven’t experienced any difficulties in completing the puzzle, there weren’t any ‘Eureka!’ moments…

11. Nubian
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Nicely done.
    Thanks to BD and his setter, whoof whoof

12. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Ooh I found this a bit tricky today might be something to do with my mind being on the work needed in the garden on this nice sunny day! no real favourites or Ah moments today, just one quibble 20d the forst three letters this is not a joint as far as I am concerned or is it??

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I have heard of a joint of several of these maybe but one on its own??

13. Sarah F
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Stuck on 20d—any hints?

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Hi Sarah, you are looking for a word for long and thin, the first three letters – a joint supposedly? the last four a word for skeletal, four letters

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

long and thin as in strips of material maybe?

• Collywobbles

Not a proper word.

Who is the setter?

• Rob
                Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

The 3 letter word refers to a joint of MEAT

Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Rob – welcome to the blog.

• tizzi
            Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

sounds like slang to me silly word- guidance please on 3a

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Hi tizzi – welcome to the blog.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Tizzi, you are looking for someone who supports a union, in this one ,let the wordplay lead you through: you need a three letter word for given nourishment, bfore a three letter word for a period of time, the one letter abbreviation for Left, and followed lastly by the 3 letter abbreviation for first – hope that helps :)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

sorry someone please delete me :oops:

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Done! Easily done – I always try and check my hints before hitting send!

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

thanks Gnomey, thought I had !

14. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

How do the first three letters of 19a equate to ‘save’ anyone?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Mary, they are synonyms as in ‘except for’. I could give you a phrase but it would give the word away!

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Yes thanks I see now Gnomey, why couldn’t I before? What about 20d, how can one of these be a joint, unless it’s a joint in carpentry or something I don’t know about?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I would say that it could be a joint of meat. *** of beef perhaps?

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Mmmm, not sure about that one but I give in gracefully :)

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

No need to give in – its not great but thats how I justified it (and will so do in Friday’s review)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

it’s just that I see several of them like that but not one on its own?

• Weekend Wanda
                  Posted January 30, 2011 at 9:26 am | Permalink

It is right for a *** of beef or *** roast. The problem with meat clues is like bread there are many regional words meaning the same thing! Another different crossword this week. Completed quickly without clues or aids. Checked 24a in Chambers to make sure. 24d answer could only be one thing (I think) and I think I now get why if the last three letters mean “thus”. Would have come a cropper on 1 a if I had not looked at the clues retrospectively as I was in Persia!!!! Who set this one. Does not have the style of last week’s.

15. JoJoS
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I managed to finish the crossword today with only a couple of hints needed from BD’s blog – quite an achievement for me! I am so glad though that I came across your website recently – it has made my crossword solving so much easier and great to be able to read other people’s ideas and hints.

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog JoJoS.

16. Rednaxela
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

A good puzzle to end the crossword week; fairly straightforward with good word play to help solve the clues.
    Thanks to setter and BD for the review

17. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Just spent half an hour in garden clearing the dead stuff out of a border, really don’t recommend it! The sunshine is beautiful but the ground is frozen solid and so are my hands now, never mind ,now I don’t feel so guilty about sitting here at the computer :)

• Claire
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Wow – good for you Mary – I’ve been avoiding the mess that is my garden on the basis that my hands are rough and cracked enough already!!
      A good crossword for me today – pleasing to finish in a reasonable time with only 7d causing a problem (shouldn’t have but there you go!) Now to prepare for Mr C’s 60th celebrations :-)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday Mr C hope all have a good tome:)

18. Collywobbles
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Gnomey, Ive got 14a but I don’t see fully why?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

14a Rex rings judge backing up one working overhead (6)

Backing up is a reversal indicator. You need one of the abb. for King, two rings and an abb. for a judge. The definition is ‘one working overhead’
      Hope that helps – I am trying not to give too much away!

• tizzi
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

could you give away a bit more? i dont understand what is a reverse indicator?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

tizzi:
          A reversal indicator tells you that you must reverse the wordplay once you have worked it out. In my hint above I have given the elements of the wordplay (one abbreviation, two rings – I will let you work that uot, and then another abb. for referee) wwhich you must then reverse in order to get the definition.

19. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

off to make dinner back later :)

20. Collywobbles
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gnomey. I had ******d for 5d – Finished. Thanks for all your help

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a bit easier than the last few Saturdays have been – maybe my brain is not quite as frozen as it feels. Absolutely ARCTIC in Oxford today – 1C, grey and generally not nice! :sad:
    I spent quite a long time trying to make sense of 20d – having finally worked it out I think it’s a really clever clue.
    8a also took a while as I was sure that the second word HAD to be ‘gas’ – wrong!
    Love the picture hint for 10a – aren’t they sweet – think that they have to be rather more than one litter!
    Doesn’t a 3d write comments sometimes?
    Best clues today, for me anyway – 9 and 25a and 6, 18, 19 and 20d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints.
    Hope that everyone has a good weekend.

• steph
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I still cant get 20d any clues?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

steph, have you looked at mary’s hint at comment #13?

22. Peter
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Still only half done and I really have not enjoyed this so I shall give up.

• Claire
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Peter – don’t give up! It’s do-able :-)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

don’t give up Peter unless you haven’t the time, it’s worth perservating :)

23. Mr Tub
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I’m far too shy to say what I originally had for15d, but I deserve to be mocked loudly for it. I do enjoy clues like 3a which convince me I’m much more intelligent than I really am. Thanks for the hints and tips, and thanks to the setter for my Saturday fun.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

can’t begin to imagine! :)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Now I really want to know what you had for 15d …. ! Why be shy?

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Slightly quicker than normal for me today – fuelled by M&S Chinese for lunch and probably because I wasn’t trying to work out the wordplay as its Gnomey’s turn for the review. Very enjoyable all round, 18d made me smile.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Sue, thought you must be off with BD today seeing as you weren’t around

Posted January 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

No Mary, Derby is far too far away for me! Had an early morning walk in the woods with my friend and her dog and then went off to do some shopping.

25. jaycat
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Sort of enjoyed this one but used lots of hints and aids. Not fully into the logic of the word play of some clues such as 14a….13a….19a…17d oh well liked 24a anyway

26. pommers
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one but I’d only give it 1* for difficulty! Solved whilst eating lunchtime sandwich in the courtyard – the weather here is back to normal service, 17C and sunny!
    Thanks to the setter and BD.

PS, is this a Cephas?

27. Geoff
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

A major step forward here, all done with hints and books, but no toys, just a glance or two at google to confirm a couple of answers. Don’t quite understand 13a; I’m assuming ‘we’ has to be removed from something to do with coats and jackets,but I can’t see what it is. If someone could enlighten me please … ?

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Well done Geoff.
      It is only the ‘W’ (we initially) that needs to be removed from a word for the clothes that we put on last (of which coats and jackets are examples)

• Geoff
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gnomey, should have realised the significance of initially – darn sneaky things these cryptics at times!

Ones I liked included 16/25a, 1d and 11a because I’ve learned that one now. Thanks to setter, DB and other hinters, especially for the comment about 24a coming up last weekend.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Yes, well done Geoff, almost made it out today then :) What a treat to be able to attend a Giovanni workshop :)

• Geoff
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I’m really looking forward to it, just hope it doesn’t go over my head! Wonder if he’s planning to attend the welsh choir St David’s Day concert in the same church on Feb 26 … ? (Hint, hint, Giovanni!)

Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

all sounds lovely

28. jo jacobs
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

finished except can’t get 24a. Help

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jo.

For 24a you need a game played on horseback (or the water based version) followed by the usual abbreviation for a US soldier and a final a to give a word meaning justification for his belief.

29. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

After a couple of not very successful attempts during the week, it’s good to be back with the prize one – why does it often seem easier than weekday ones ?

Anyway, with a little electronic help plus a few of your clues I’ve finished !! Have to say I thought one or two were a bit dubious but generally very enjoyable. Thanks to the setter and for all your hints

30. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Its been a good day on the blog, thanks all for your ‘company’ have to go practice flute now got a harmony to do tonight which I haven’t learnt yet! By the way Gnomey still can’t find it only the mandolin and banjo which were also inherited

31. KateandRob
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Our paper doesn’t get delivered until about 1.30pm so we start later than the rest of you! Feeling pleased with ourselves today as we did it in two hours without the hints and just using the dictionary. We must be improving! However needed to look at the blog to understand 4d – thank you! Very cold and grey here in Worcestershire today so nothing to tempt us away from the crossword.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Kate and Rob and really well done, beautiful sunshine here all day but very very cold :)

32. David S
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Finished today with little assistance! Still not sure how 16a is associated with Jewish Law! Explanation please.

• Libellule
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Ten Commandments chap.

• David S
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Doh! I took it took it too literally! I see it now. Thanks

33. Ainsley
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable today. 24a only vaguely heard of this before but solved it with the word play. Not sure why a number had release for 4d – can’t see the link with speech. Thanks to the setter and all posters – always an interesting read. Looking forwad to Murray tomorrow morning.

• Libellule
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Ainsley,
      4d is a double definition, what do you do if you make a speech?

• Peter
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

A speech may be a release, especially if by made by a politician.

Deliberately misleading clue, perhaps.

34. Ainsley
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Libellule. If you make a speech that is a release? Like releasing information perhaps? Still don’t see the link. I got the double definition my point was I couldn’t see why many seemed to think it was release initially before they got the right answer

• Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Who knows why people get wrong answers!

• Ainsley
        Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Indeed!

• Libellule
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I have never heard of anyone releasing a speech, and if someone had release as an answer, then 3a, 11a and 13a are also wrong :-). As Gnomey points out – getting a wrong answer is easy – justifying it in a cryptic crossword is slightly more problematic :-)

35. evelyn
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Finished at last – had probelms with 20d, but have finally got it. best clue 19d

• evelyn
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

well done evelyn. from myself

Posted January 29, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

well done evelyn :)

36. wingnut
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Took a while to get going but then all started falling into place. Thought i’d finished. Put Shah for 1a but didn’t know why so looked at the clue. Doh

• Weekend Wanda
      Posted January 30, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

I did the same! Can get caught out on these ones which look obvious when not. I did the same last week – I think it was a “y” I put on the end of monarch and not an “s”.

37. mary
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

seems I was the only one who had a problem with the first three letters of 20d being a joint!
    Time for some telly I think :)

38. Tantalus
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Mrs T insists 23a is an ischemia but can’t explain why the clue seems to be from the Evening Standard. Help please – before we divorce

• Prolixic
      Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Mrs T is right that the answer can be a type of ischemia. I cannot help with the Evening Standard aspect!

• Robert Stevenson
      Posted January 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Anyone suffering a ‘tia or transient ischemic attack’ recovers from it very quickly and completely – a ****** on the other hand has permanent debilitating effects ( if it doesn’t kill you first) such has paralysis and blindness.

39. Little Dave
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Up and down to Birmingham today so started the puzzle at 7AM at Newport Pagnell service station with a cup of coffee. Initially thought it was going to be an unusual tough Saturday one but then I managed to rattle into it. I liked 10a otherwise mundane.

Come on Murrary!

40. mikef
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I always seem to be one of the last to post since I do the crossword after dinner rather than during the day. It was also an excellent day for gardening and we managed to clear a large part of an old overgrown hedge

Anyway, now finished but, oddly enough, 26a gave me the most grief even with the hint. Silly boy!

41. Derek
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Knocked this off this evening after a warm bath – it is very cold here although still sunny.
    Clues that I like : 10a, 16a, 21a, 24a, 25a, 2d, 6d, 18d, 19d & 21d.

The clue for 9a is a load of tripe – the answer as spelt (so that it fits in with 7d) has nothing to do with iced drinks but if you insert the accent it does but then kills 7d!

Setters should not neglect diacritical marks – they are important in all languages.

Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Blimey mate – you’re too clever for me! WHAT accent? You can’t use accents in crosswords – just have to ‘pretend’. Thought that it was a really good clue!! :smile: – although I suspect you might be like both my daughters and say that these emoticons should not be used!!

• Derek
        Posted January 30, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Not being clever Kath – just factual!

• Derek
          Posted February 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Kath it is now Tuesday and I think that I should elaborate somewhat on your reply to my comment.
          1. It is absolutely possible with modern keyboards and computer technology to put any accent or diacritical mark on words in crosswords – e.g. use AltGr!
          2. Setters are being old-fashioned by ignoring this;
          3. Solving cryptics is a serious business – one has to think and not pretend!
          4. However I agree with you on one point – one must enjoy the task!
          Groetjes!!

• KateandRob
            Posted February 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

You don’t put accents when the word is written in block capitals so that is obviously what to do! Everyone is right then.

• Derek
              Posted February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

You are quite wrong that capital letters in French are not accented!!!
              They seem to teach that in GB.

42. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

What’s with the censorship? When I put the arrow on the picture clue up comes the answer.

• Posted January 30, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I always “give away” a handful of answers – there are protests if anyone suggest that I stop doing it.

43. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Finished except for 24a. Can anyone help. I accept that picture
    aids or clues are OK. I for one wouldn’t finish until Wednesday or next Monday week otherwise.

• Posted January 30, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Robert:
      A game with US soldier having a justification for his belief

THe definition is a written justification for belief.
      You need a charade of A + a game (field sport with a water variant) + an abb. for a US soldier then A

44. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Sorry got 24a from Prolixic’s comment 28 above; a word not used in common parlance. Thanks a lot.

45. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Recalling my school French ‘*******’, the infinitive, means to strike, hit, knock.

• Derek
      Posted January 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Quite right Rob – I presume you refer to 9a – also means to type ( using a keyboard).
      The noun in 9a means stroke/hit/knock – the past participle with accent aigu is also used to mean iced or chilled.

• Robert Stevenson
        Posted January 30, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Derek
        Thanks but how do the past particples struck/hit/knocked or typed, become iced or chilled? Some peculiarity of French philology perhaps?

• Derek
          Posted February 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Rob – it is Tuesday and I did a little research on the use of the past participle of our French verb to mean chilled.
          Look in “Petit Robert : Dictionnaire De La Langue Française” page 745 (my edition is dated 1972) and at point 3 you get it all!!

46. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

An alternative answer for 7 down could be erode for example a river erodes and wear also equals erode. Pity its not right though.

47. Ruth
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks Big Dave for this blog, been dipping in over the past few months. My help used to come via a phone call to Mum on Sunday afternoon, however she is slowing down at 80+ and doesn’t get far enough in time to help me before the weekend is over. Love the explanations.

• Posted January 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ruth

Comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

• Kevin
        Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks also from me BD I’ve been around now for several weeks. I’m just getting into xwords and like to take my time – the hints and friendly discussions are ace. Just gives me enough help and my (low) ability is increasing rapidly!

48. Kevin
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Late in the day I know … but I’ve carried one unfinished clue on train to work and back all week

23a Handy way to demonstrate pet affection. I know what you do to pets esp cats and it fits, but I just don’t get 1st part of clue?? Explanation greatly appreciated!

• Jezza
      Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

The hand is the part of the body that you would use to demonstrate your affection for a dog or a cat.
      Does that help?

49. Kevin
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Aah! many thanks

50. pithlit
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Hi, could someone please help?

1 ac. I have first and last letters but can only come up with the guy from Persia.
    Also 1d. I have the answer (with help from you guys – thanks), but what is the def?

I particularly enjoyed this one, mostly because I managed to get through the bulk of it without any help.

• Posted February 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog pithlit

1a – if you read the hint you will see that you need to remove HE from an Arab chief to get someone from India (the subcontinent), like a Hindu but of a different religion.

1d – it’s a cryptic definition – soup is a synonym for the first part of the answer.