DT 26456 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26456 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

1a    Disreputable pair cons politician — get detained here? (6,4)
An anagram (disreputable) of PAIR CONS is followed by a politician to give where said politician may be detained if he fiddles his expenses

9a    Initiate Dracula perhaps as a measure of his diet (5,5)
A word meaning to initiate is followed by Dracula’s title to give a measure of his diet

15a    Poet’s endless wonder (6)
Drop the final letter of the name of this seventeenth-century English metaphysical poet to get a wonder or spectacle

19a    Academics take in old papers for correction (6)
Put the abbreviated form of these senior academics around (take in) O(ld) to get trial impressions of pages used for making corrections before final printing.

21a    Popular cleaner source of information for Chinese (7,5)
The official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party could describe a popular cleaner

27a    Independent university has secure incentive (10)
A charade of IND(ependent), U(niversity) and a word meaning to secure or bond to get an incentive

1d    Boozers knock back drink swallowing first of beers (4)
Here the boozers are the places for drinking rather than the drinkers themselves – reverse (knock back) a verb meaning to drink around (swallowing) the first letter of Beers

4d    Bird with mild ailment taking in hospital (6)
This bird of the crow family, inhabiting sea-cliffs and mountains and having glossy black plumage, red legs and a red down-curved bill, is created by putting a mild ailment, often associated with a cold, around (taking in) H(ospital)

7d    Tuck up gripping injured fallen wrestler’s hold (4,6)
Reverse (up, as this is a down clue) a slang word for tuck, as in food, around (gripping) an anagram (injured) of FALLEN to get a wrestler’s hold

14d    Confusion about right climbing plant for each insect (4-6)
Put confusion or haze (3) around R(ight) and follow it with a climbing plant (3), the fruit of which is used for flavouring beer, and a word meaning for each (3) to get this jumping, plant-sucking insect, the larva of which produces cuckoo spit

23d    Stab a slug (4)
A double definition – to have a stab or go and a slug of metal for firing from a gun

The Crossword Club is now open! Feel free to leave comments.

1. Spindrift
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

That was a humdinger – after a succession of reasonably easy puzzles we’ve finally got a real challenge. Thanks to the complier & BD for the hints.

• Spindrift
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Complier? Another striping terror.

2. Barrie
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

On the whole a pleasant Saturday diversion but I am stuck on the last 3 which is vexing me.
    I am wondering if 25a has anything to do with a very long-running west end musical (grasping at straws here :-) ).
    And even with the excellent hints, I still can’t see 23d Grrrr!

• Spindrift
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

23d Give it a go & bite the bullet!
      25a – think radio 2 presenter & add…
      No doubt BD will edit these if I’ve gone too far

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I think Barrie is more likely to get 23d after solving 25a!

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

25a Rather sour ‘Panorama’ presenter making a show (10)

This has nothing to do with any musicals, West End or otherwise. The definition is “rather sour” and to get the word combine a presenter of Panorama (4) with a word meaning showy (6).

• Barrie
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Thx Guys, 23d so obvious DOH!!! Not surprised I couldn’t get 23a, never watch Panorama and always turn off Radio 2 at 12 as I can’t stand the pompous presenter in question. All done now. Great crossword today, asked some challenging questions but eminently doable. Great week for me, finished 4/5 and no Ray T – HURRAH!!

3. Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

That puzzle was an absolute joy and I’ve awarded it five stars even though I didn’t breeze through it. I don’t have a favourite clue because there were a number of them but suffice it to say that there was some wonderful wordplay. I can’t believe that I’m the first to post a comment… Do I get a prize, Dave?

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I see I’m now down in third place so you can now ignore my last two sentences!

4. gazza
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

A really enjoyable puzzle.
    Those who felt disappointed by the Friday Toughie yesterday may like to know that today’s prize puzzle in the Guardian is by Enigmatist (Elgar) and it’s well up to his usual standard.

Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Gazza, just had a look at the Enigmatist for half an hour – I may be some time!
      Phew, this is hard!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

pommers,
        I don’t think that Elgar does “easy”.

Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

You can say that again!
          Done about half and giving up now – I’ll have wait for the 225 blog next week! I did like 7d though once the penny dropped about ‘supporters’. I always forget that meaning of the word!!
          Off to try today’s DT with pommette over lunch – back later.

• Qix
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Agreed. 7D in that puzzle will have some resonance for followers of the blog, too.

5. mary
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Am realy struggling today, have not found this easy at all, well done Barrie and everyone else, I have 4 left and am giving up soon! :(

• mary
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Well I have filled in the blanks but not at all sure of my answers at 5a, 6a & 16a!

6. mary
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I found this a difficult puzzle today despite there being lots of split answers which I usually like, if I have favourite clues they are 25a and 9a, good luck everyone I am just glad to have finished this at last!

• mary
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Thanks for hints Dave I needed 3 of them today! :(

• mary
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

All I can say about 18a is thank goodness for Long John Silver!!

• Dinosaur Pete
          Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, that one made me laugh ! as for the rest, I’ve got seven to go including 26a which seems to have Japanese connections ?

• mary
            Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

not sure about the Japanese Pete but if you combine the first word with the two letter abbreviation for right you get a word for wrong

• Dinosaur Pete
              Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, I had the last letter wrong ! What A silly mistake !!
              That’s it, 12.30 ish and all finished – have to go and do some domestics now, heh! ho!

7. Dickiedot
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Great puzzle, do we know the setter? Thanks Mr Mysteron. Liked 25a 13d. Thank you for the hints BD needed 14d

8. Weekend Wanda
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

A joy. Different again. Another setter? lst one I got was 1d and I thought this is going to be easy, but I was wrong! First run through I got about 4, put down and then most slotted into place. Unusually I found the answers easier to get than I found the explanation. Needed dictionary but not the BD’s clues- but needed his clues for some of the explanations! Liked 9a, 16a, 13d.

9. Nubian
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Apart from one or two clues I found it quite pedestrian.I suppose if you are doing the crossword on line in Australia or somewhere you might struggle with 25a which is a bit naughty.
    Thanks to Dave for the hints and one of Capt Scarlett’s foes.

• Digby
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Agree Nubian – C List “celebs” should not be used in a crossword, as you should be to solve it anywhere / anytime. And the person in question will be soon forgotten. I see that Ark Royal V pays off today. No tears from me – not a proper aircraft carrier!

• Nubian
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Indeed the loss of Ark Royal V is no great shakes. I always wondered if it was true that the guy who designed the ski jump got 25 quid as it was entered into the ideas box. I forget the name it, someones name I think.

• Digby
          Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Herbert Lott. And it was £50 – a 2 1/2 Engineer Officer – Richards or Rogers, I seem to recall.

• Nubian
            Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Thats him, thanks for that Digby, I’ve been racking my brains all day.

• Franny
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Yes, 25a was last in for me and I needed a couple of letter hints. And I’m only writing from Switzerland.

10. Claire
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Tricky one today – more on Mr C’s wavelength than mine!! Favourite for me today was 11d, also liked 9a and 25a. Thanks for the hints BD – helped me to understand a few but still struggling with the ‘why’ of 5d and 22d :-/

• David R
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

5d. The first, second, third and last letters are a First World War battle of August 1914 around a synonym of principal.

22d. Long is in the sense of desire or yearn for.

• Weekend Wanda
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

22d is a double meaning. Different sort of long! Not sure about 5d. I thought the first three letters related to the first part of the clue but I think I am wrong about that.

• Claire
      Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Thanks you two – got involved in a massive photo sort out and forgot to come back to look. Now can’t sleep so here I am!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Excellent fun today. Didn’t take long to solve but some cracking wordplay. Thanks to BD and the Mysterious Mysteron.

12. Franny
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Yes, very enjoyable. I needed a good deal of perseveration and a bit of electronic help but I did finally finish it. It took me a while to find 21a and I’d never heard of 14d but otherwise there was no great problem — except of course 25a, as mentioned above. Also, I thought 16a was American. There were lots of good clues, but best for me was 9a.
    :-)

• Nubian
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Franny, 16a is American, English is part of the clue

• mary
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

where would we be without perservation, hope Liverpool have some of it, they are on now v Wolves! I remain optimistic :) big sigh………

• mary
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Yes 3 nil !

13. brendam
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Great fun, loved 9a and 5, 7, 11d along with lots more. Really enjoyable exercise, thanks to compiler and B.D.

14. Kate
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

i loved this one! I’m so glad I found your site, Big Dave!!

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Kate

I’m glad you have found us!

15. Cassidy
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Hello – new to this site (and cryptic crosswords to a degree!). Convalescing after foot op so trying to use brain….. Really struggling with 3d. Any hints?

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Cassidy

3d Fanciful yarn o’ wild wild virgin and earl (3,5,4)

This fanciful yarn is an anagram (wild ) of O’ WILD followed by a Roman virgin and E(arl)

• Cassidy
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD but it’s the “fanciful yarn” that’s also making me feel dim!!

• Qix
          Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

The “yarn” might be told by married women of a certain age…

• Kate Boutinot
          Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Glad you asked about that Cassidy, I needed that answer explaining too!

16. Franco
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

The most enjoyable crossword for some time! Thanks to the setter especially for 9a,16a and 11d.

17. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I was so gobsmacked at finishing before lunch that I forgot to make any comments!
    Thoroughly enjoyed todays offering which needed help from electronics and especially BD’s hints but it’s finished – not a common occurence in this house ! So thanks to both BD and the Setter (be he English or Red !) favourite was still 18a.

18. Geoff
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Ten not yet done and I rather think they will stay that way! A bit on the hard side … Will check the comments for more hints later. Thanks for review, needed most of those hints.

19. Geoff
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Second word of 14d: is this some sort of generic term for climbing plants? I can’t find any references to a specific plant – indeed to any plant.

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

It’s only the first half of the second word!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

The first three letters of the second word are a plant which used to be grown a lot here in Kent!

• Geoff
      Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD & CS. Missed the reference to ‘each’ …

There are some of these growing wild in a ‘heinz 57’ hedge just up the lane on the flood-meadows.

20. Cassidy
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Suddenly twigged! Thanks….

21. lizwhiz1
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Romped through this but then spent ages on 26a!!!!!! Really enjoyed this on a really wet miserable day in Canterbury! Hope it brightens for Monday as alas we have a family funeral ;(

22. Kate Boutinot
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Just finished after quick start that rapidly slowed, needed the hints and comments, thanks. Best clue 13d. Groaners were 16a and 25a.. Last in was 6a, took a while for penny to drop, even when I had put the answer in and it was staring me in the face! Should 14d really be hyphenated or one word ?

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

The Telegraph tends to use Chambers for enumeration and the word is hyphenated there – in the ODE it is one word.

• Kate Boutinot
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks for clarification.

23. pommers
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Great stuff – my thanks to the Mysteron!
    Too many good clues to pick favourites but 18a deserves a mention I think.
    Thanks for the blog BD. Actually, I mean the whole site, not just today’s hints!

P.S. If you think this one’s hard have a look at my previous conversation with Gazza about the Enigmatist it today’s Grauniad – a real mind bender!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Have finally finished after having quite a struggle with this one – I enjoyed it but found it VERY difficult.
    Didn’t understand where ‘initiate’ came into 9a until I read the hint – fairly obvious really – just missed it.
    All I could think of for a distinctive feature of Long John Silver was a parrot and that somehow didn’t seem to fit!!
    Being a Radio 2 addict I got 25a quite quickly.
    I’ve never heard of the 14d insect.
    5d took me the longest – was trying to make the answer an eight letter WW1 battle.
    Favourites today – 16 and 25a and 3, 11 and 13d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints.
    Off for a rather cold walk now. Hope you all have a good weekend.
    :smile:

25. toadson
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Finally got there – needed a few aids today and one or two from BD. Liked 25a, but take the point about knowledge of ‘celebs’ etc. Have a good weekend all.

26. Little Dave
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon fellow cruciverbalists. Grey and dreary in this part of Hertfordshire so DT, 26,456 was a nice distraction wth a cup of tea. Nothing too contentious in my view and the usual Saturday standard – must be Cephas? 6a was my favourite albeit seen before and 18a focused my mind on the forthcoming season to such a degree that I took my soons out to get freshly kitted up for the indoor nets!

Last in was 19a.

Thanks to the Setter as usual.

27. mary
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Computer been ambused again by yet another grandson!! Off to church now see you later!

28. Lea
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed that – a nice change for a Saturday puzzle to have to think so hard. Favcourite clues were16a and 27a.

Thanks to setter and to BD for the hints.

29. Addicted
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Driving me mad to-day even tho got some that others are having trouble with! Needed BD for second word of 9a, and 19a (couldn’t get my brain past “dons”) – so obvious when you see them! Can anyone help with 6a, 8d and 11d please? And I haven’t a CLUE on 16a. I usually find the Sat one easier than this!!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Addicted
      Just fired the blog up after getting bored with the football and seen your post. Hope I can help!
      6a – you need the 4 letters that get stamped on Tax letters etc and spell the unit of electrical resistance – look in The Mine.
      8d – S (soprano, why that’s allowed I’m not sure) ON, top note = G, followed by a word for strain gives a Diva
      11d – What you do to free a seat belt is also what Governments and/or companies give out to the media when something important(?) is happening.

Hope this makes sense – I’m no Blogger!

• Franco
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Pommers, 6a has stopped writing to me! I now receive letters from HMRC!

I wonder how much the change cost the Tax Payer?

Posted January 22, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

They’ve both stopped writing to us! We don’t earn enough to be on their radar!

Posted January 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Sorry, missed your request for 16a.
      Definition is ‘artist’ – an American one in this case.
      A charade of a card game followed by both hands (Left and Right) with E inserted (involving) give the artist’s name..

30. pommers
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

BD – did you just edit those 2 posts? If so, ta muchly! Makes me look less of an idiot!

31. Putt Putt
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Shouldnt the clue to 11d by Pommers be edited?

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Quite right!

Welcome to the blog Putt Putt

32. Peter
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Quite fun today

Thanks to the setter fo a doable puzzle and to Big Dave and everyone else who provided hints

33. Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I found this difficult but ultimately rewarding, Very good.

Thanks to BD and the setter.

34. Geoff
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Good heavens, I’ve finished it! Needed lots and lots of help and a lot of CS’s putting-down-and-coming-back approach (is there a word for that?). 11d was a real struggle until I realised I was trying to fit it into the checking letters of 13d … :oops: Also got stuck on ‘don’ for 19a – was that hint there this morning ??

Hard word, but very satisfying. Thanks to setter and all the hinters.

• Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I have yet to add any new hints, so the answer is yes, it was there.

• Geoff
        Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Just didn’t see it … not due an eye-test until April, but these specs are defnitely past their use-by-date!

• pommette
          Posted January 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Not been to pecsavers for over 2 years now. Perhaps that’s the reason I was blinded today on a few!

• pommette
            Posted January 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

for pecsavers read Specsavers! Sorry – this was a tpying reror !!!!

• Franco
            Posted January 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

“Not been to pecsavers for over 2 years now.” – you should try to get to the gym more often. :smile:

Posted January 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I surrender!

35. mikef
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

When I started this one, I thought it was going to be a disaster and on the first run through only got about 3 clues. I then sat for ages with no advance and then suddenly it all started to click into place. 25a caused me the most grief and I needed a hint.

Very enjoyable.

36. Rod Ash
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Had to wait until this evening to tackle this one…and really enjoyed it. Particularly liked 12a, 16a,19a, 27a, 3d and 13d.
    As a person who hasn’t watch Panorama in years I had to guess the presenter, so not impressed by 25a. BBC presenters are no longer household general knowledge.

37. chris
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I’d like to say that we finished this in xx minutes but a) that wouldn’t be true and b) BD would censor it. Completed just after 6 this morning with fresh eyes courtesy of our 5 week old.. Last one we got was 10a. D’oh! Is there a crossworder’s condition for being unable to see the obvious?

Posted January 23, 2011 at 9:43 am | Permalink

There ought to be a word for it as we all suffer from time to time!
      How about lightblindness?

38. Jan
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Very late doing this as only had a short while yesterday Finished now thanks to a few hints so can pop round for the Sunday now and start all over again :)

39. Addicted
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Pommers – many thanks for your help – 11d SOO obvious once pointed in the right direction!! Only trouble is I now don’t have the second word of 21a – can anyone put me out of my misery so I don’t have to wait a week for the answers?? Am also about to tackle the Sunday Jan.

• little dave
      Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

For second word think of a human cleaner you might have to pay for.

• Posted January 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I struggled on this one, Little Dave. When explaining the clue to my friend in the pub I said ” Cleaner like char or *****. Then the penny smashed me in the face!!. Last in over here!

40. little dave
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Bottom right hand corner was very difficult, particularly 25a and 27a, the former because I don’t watch Panorama so did not know its presenter, and the latter because it took until about 10am Sunday for me to consider the possibility that it did not begin with “un”. Excellent 5 star puzzle.

• Weekend Wanda
      Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

My slowness in the bottom right hand corner was that I got the word but could not work out why. I was trying to put in three letters for a particular institution and then trying to find an obscure meaning for a four letter word at the end, instead of the obvious 7 letter word. Doh! Has the mystery compiler been unmasked yet? Would like to see more of the same (or rather – similar).

41. Weekend Wanda
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Sorry I meant six letter word. Slightly obscure clue here for anyone still not there!

42. Addicted
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Little D – just how obvious was that? Am evidently having a “thick” day, so maybe the Sunday is beyond me!! But at least have at last finished Sat’s, so another paper for the recycling.

43. Franco
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Who is the setter of DT 26456? I really enjoyed this one and would like to see more of the same!

Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Agreed, Franco. The setter is a mystery but he or she is giving us a very entertaining puzzle on alternate Saturdays.

44. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Almost finished except for 6a,10a,12a,16a, 24a, 26a, 27a, 2d, 5d, 8d, 11d, 20d, and 22d. Favourite clue 1a got it straight away.

• Franco
      Posted January 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Robert Stevenson, keep persevering – you’re nearly there!

Do you have a middle name?

45. Robert Stevenson
    Posted January 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Franco – middle initial is L.

Stuck on 8d and 16a at present any suggestions?

• Franco
      Posted January 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

RLS, See the hints from Pommers at comment #29 above.

46. David S
    Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Help with 12a please. Need this to finish off!

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

12a Detectives’ aid to identify culprit impresses (12)
      It is a charade where the definition is ‘Detectives’ aid’. Take a vernacular word for ‘to identify culprit’ followed by a synonym fo ‘impresses’. The whole thing can also be (sort of) read as the definition.

Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Better explanation than mine Gnomey-but you are an experienced blogger!

Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Hi David S
      You need something that is actually analysed by Crime Scene Investigators rather than detectives. They are ‘impressed’ on the crime scene by the criminal, unless they wear gloves, and are said to be unique to the individual.

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Evening Pommers!

Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Evening Gnomey – what you doing here at this time of night? I just thought I’d have a last look before going to bed. Had enough wine now.

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Aren’t you an hour ahead of us?

Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Indeed so, and it’s bloody cold here this evening! Can one say that on the blog? No doubt you’ll edit it if not.

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I’m just about to turn in – have been strumming the Uke (not a euphemism). Bet its colder over here!

Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Current teperatures as reported by airport weather centres:-
              Alicante 8C
              Birmingham 6C
              So not a lot of difference and we have no carpet (tiled floor) and no central heating! Believe me, it’s chilly!