ST 2568 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2568 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

A full review of this puzzle will be published on or after the closing date.

1a    Piano I put in club converted by jazz singer — chance for all to relax (6,7)
To get the first word start with P(iano) and then put I inside an anagram (converted) of CLUB, the second word is the surname of a famous jazz singer, portrayed on film by Diana Ross, and the whole is a chance for all to relax, like tomorrow and Tuesday

16a    Get as reward leading part of Abenazar in theatre (4)
A verb meaning to get as a reward is created by putting the initial letter (leading part) of Abenazar inside the abbreviated form of a theatre with a range of plays and a permanent company of actors

17a    Exited right? On the contrary (4)
A word meaning exited is not right, but the opposite side!

26a    What happens in sales, for example, gets GNP prophesies revised (8,5)
It’s easy to go on one of these during the January Sales – it’s an anagram (revised) of GNP PROPHESIES

1d    Criticize big books I’m into for seasonal entertainments (10)
Start with a word meaning to criticize and follow it with some big books placed around I’M to get these seasonal entertainments

5d    Smallest piggy allowed nothing within brood, mostly (6,3)
This smallest piggy went “Wee! Wee! Wee!” all the way home! – put a word meaning allowed and O (nothing) inside most of a brood (of pigs maybe)

11d    Something put on tomb, say, to honour US patriot (4,6)
A charade of a word that sounds like (say) a cloth spread over a tomb and a verb meaning to honour gives a US patriot who rode from Boston to Lexington in 1775 to warn fellow American revolutionaries of the approach of British troops

22d    Young hero (with start of 1 down) is safe (5)
The first three letters of 1 down are the second name of this eternally young hero – it’s also a name criminals use for a safe

23d    What villains may get to drink, so to speak (4)
This is what the villains get in 1d – sounds like (so to speak) the kind of drinks that are the brought back to the UK after a “cruise” to Europe!

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

1. Digby
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Managed it without the hints in about 40 minutes, which I feel is about the correct level of difficulty for me. Nice to have things confirmed – cheers BD – so I can go and post it with confidence, if no great anticipation. A bracing day in Henfield, but Mrs D & I need some fresh air!

2. gnomethang
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I spent as long on the last four answers as I did on the rest – including 3 pesky four letter words.
    Lovely puzzle from Virgilius – Merry Christmas to him and thanks to BD for the hints.
    Much fun!

• Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

That’s precisely why I put in hints for three of the four-letter words.

• gnomethang
        Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Those weren’t my problems but I appreciate the sentiment!
        Maybe stopping up to watch the magnificent Ashes performance didn’t help!

• Digby
          Posted December 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Gnomey – I have to keep revisiting the scoreboard on the web to make sure that I didn’t dream it. Has there ever been a more one-sided day’s play in an Ashes match?

• Posted December 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I stayed up last night to see Hussey go down before the rain break. I couldnt believe the scor when I woke up this morning!
            Glorious stuff!

• Franco
              Posted December 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I listened to the test last night and thought that I was dreaming!

I definitely remember Geof Boycott saying to Aggers at the end of the third over – “I can’t see any way England are going to win this”

Aggers reply: “We’ve only had 12 minutes .. how can you say that?”

Boycott to Aggers : “I’m supposed to know what I’m talking about – that’s why I’m the expert and you’re commentating”

Sir Geoffrey is very rarely wrong! Hopefully he is , this time.

• Digby
                Posted December 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Franco,
                Sir Geoffrey? He’s a fellow Y’man and I saw his 1st first class knock in Bradford in 19XX. But “Sir”? I VERY much doubt it!! Brucie has more chance!

• Franco
                  Posted December 26, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Reet!

• Digby
                    Posted December 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Arise, Sir Franco!

3. Prolixic
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I managed to dredge the US patriot from the memory cells somewhere to get the last few answers in place. I agree with Gnome about the pesky four letter ones.

Thanks to Virgilius for the treat and to BD for recovering from the turkey and trimmings to write up the hints.

4. Nubian
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Nice gentle !there there! puzzle. Can I go back to sleep now ?
    Thanks Dave and Virgilius.

Posted December 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

As said gnomethang, my last 4 included “3 pesky four letter words”.
    My first chance to look at a puzzle for a few days, and despite the over-indulgences of a liquid variety, I managed this without too much head scratching.
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD; time for another glass of fizz me thinks!

Posted December 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I did this puzzle quite early this morning before preparing for and enjoying a big family gathering. My problem wasn’t the pesky four letter ones but the “conclusions” in 21d which held me up slightly. Thanks to Virgilius for another lovely themed crossword and to BD for the hints. Not sure I need another glass of anything, well today I don’t anyway, so I am going for a nice cup of tea and then a zizzz in the chair.

7. Geoff
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Been out eating (but not drinking, making up for that now!) too much again. Started the puzzle this morning and now finished after a fair bit of head scratching and a bit of help here and there from that nice Mr Google. Plenty of fun, thanks to V & BD.

8. brencar
    Posted December 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I steamed along really well for a while with this one and then got completely stuck on 23d. Really groaned when I read the hint!! Love the smallest piggy picture!

9. Derek
    Posted January 4, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Very late comment from me – I tackled this puzzle yesterday (3 Jan) as I had archived it over Xmas!
    Got stuck with 24a & 21d otherwise no problems.

• Derek
      Posted January 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I finally finished this puzzle – 24a was clearly obvious from the date – must have been in a daze!
      Likewise 21d was in the clue!
      I also altered 23d to the correct answer.