ST 2567 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2567 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

A full review of this puzzle will be published on or after the closing date.

7a    Newspaper in LA translated for singers in 15 (3,6,6)
Put a newspaper inside the translation into English of LA, the American city, to get these singers – replace 15 in the clue with the answer to 15a

15a    Inspirational book – frantically cram with it as scholar (1,9,5)
This seasonal Dickens book is an anagram (frantically) of CRAM IT AS SCHOLAR

19a    Ruler given one-page report on Boxing Day (9)
This ruler was given a report by a page on Boxing Day, which is also St Stephen’s Day!

26a    Geezer, once sober, transformed (8,7)
A character from 15a is an anagram (transformed) of GEEZER ONCE SOBER

1d    Pack in point-to-point (4)
A word meaning to pack is created by replacing the points of the compass

5d    Small present – for 19 across, it was 3 and 13 and 22 (4)
A charade of S(mall) with present, as in at this time, gives something 19a saw when he looked out of the window – this should give you three other answers as well!

12d    Move to another place a problem for rail passengers? Not I (9)
To get a word meaning to move to another place take a problem for rail passengers (6,4) and remove the I (not I)

14d    Behold river up North in preliminary survey (5)
The Latin for behold is followed by R(iver) and then all is reversed (up North, in a down clue) to get a preliminary survey

25d    Winter transport Santa primarily has guided (4)
This winter transport is a charade of S (Santa primarily) and a verb meaning has guided

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

1. Derek
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I found the puzzle to be exceptionally enjoyable – very much in the Christmas Spirit!!

Best clue for me was 19a but of course 7a, 15a & 26a set the tone.

Great work from Virgilius?

Posted December 19, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I do love a festive themed crossword and this was a fine example – didn’t take me long to solve but I did smile a lot while doing so. Hard to pick a favourite clue out of so many. Season’s Greetings to Virgilius and thank you for the fun. Thanks to BD too – love the animation for 7a.

3. Wayne
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

For me the Christmas Theme made this very predictable and didn’t inspire me at all. Lost interest half way through.
    Thanx to BD.

• Posted December 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

“Bah! Humbug!”

• Wayne
        Posted December 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Nice one !!

4. Upthecreek
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Needed a harder workout today due to lousy weather but still most enjoyable. All very good clues of which 7 and 16 were best. Now to the GK which looks very similar!

5. Nathan J
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Great stuff from Virgilius – loved the Christmas theme. My favourite clue was 26a – brilliant!

Finished this after watching Australia wrap up the third test – pretty happy about that – have been an Australian cricket supporter for over 30 years. Not confident even now though. Apparently the MCG wicket will be more like Adelaide and England won there easily.

Seasons greetings to Virgilius in Oregon – I have really appreciated his puzzles this year – top class.

• Franco
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

BD Is it possible to asterisk-out such comments about the cricket?

Bad loser? What me? :smile:

• gnomethang
        Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

We were rotten. We done the Ozzies (and I could asterisk these comments out!

• Franco
          Posted December 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

gnomethang,

I agree that we were rotten!

But, without being too pedantic, “We did’nt do the Ozzies – the Ozzies did us!

It was very close! Australia only won by 267 runs!!

Well Done, the Aussies!!

• gnomethang
            Posted December 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry! I meant WELL but fat fingered the iPhone!

• pommers
        Posted December 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

One each with 2 to go – I can live with that! Melbourne should be good for us and Sydney is anyone’s guess. Keeps life interesting!

• Nora
        Posted December 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Why are there all these cricket comments? Isn´t this a crossword blog?

• Franco
          Posted December 19, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I may be wrong, but I thought that comments on subjects other than the Crossword have always been welcome on this Blog – especially at the week-end.

• Posted December 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Quite correct- as long as they don’t get out of control!

• pommers
          Posted December 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it’s because of the frequent allusions to cricket that come up in the clues! I know some of the ladies object but the female setters could retaliate by using netball allusions! God help me then!

6. pommers
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Although i was a founder member of the “Bah! Humbug!” Society in the village pub where I used to live, I really enjoyed the Xmas theme!
    Favourite was 5d. I actually solved this before any of the other clues it refers to so it rather gave the game away!
    Seasons greetings and thanks to Virgilius – excellent puzzle!

P.S. Still struggling with Friday’s Toughie, may have resort to Tilsit’s hints soon!.

Posted December 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

One of the easier Sunday puzzles for a while, but great fun, and thoroughly enjoyable.
    Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

8. Prolixic
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Highly enjoyable seasonal fare from Vigilius. Compliments of the season to him and thanks to BD for the review.

9. Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t able to get the ST today due to snow.

Nice clue for 15A.

10. Geoff
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Not finished yet, but what I’ve done has been great fun! Church twice, off to rehearsal for carol service this evening and two drinks parties – busy day!

• mary
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

have fun :)

11. mary
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Just finished this after starting it this morning and then having to do some shopping, once I got into it I enjoyed it but although I have answers for 16d, 21a, and 19d, I don’t completely understand them?? 19d I thought it was only chickens that had a ‘what we would like’ bone?? maybe I have 21a wrong I just can’t see the ‘unopened enclosure ‘ bit?? and 16d I can see the first part but don’t know where the rest comes from!! So yes I’ve finsihed, yes I enjoyed but no I don’t understand all of it :)

• mary
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Can anyone explain these please?

Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

16d A three letter (scottish origin?) for knowledged inside a word meaning raced like a rabbit-like animal.
        21a remove the first letter from an enclosure you would put a budgie in. That’ll give you the first part of the word which should then make the wordplay make sense.
        19d All birds have those bones – its what we want and we make them when dividing the bone in question

• mary
          Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time Sue all is now clear, I can’t believe I thought only chickens had that ‘magic’ bone :)

Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks crypticsue – can now do 21a – now that means that I’ve got 12d wrong damn it – wasn’t very happy about it anyway!

• mary
            Posted December 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

You are looking for a word to mean to move to another place, not a word I would have used for it Kath!

• mary
              Posted December 19, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

see Daves hint above

12. gnomethang
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

A lovely seasonal puzzle.
    26a and particularly 19a were faves
    Thanks Virgilius and BD.

Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this very much – not as difficult as some Sunday puzzles but some of the seasonal clues certainly helped. Am completely stuck on 21a – have alternate letters, assuming they’re right that is, and STILL can’t do it – any help anyone? Thanks to Virgilius and BD. Where is everyone today by the way – thought that lots of people would be snowed in and therefore doing crosswords and writing comments.

Posted December 19, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

have a look at the hint I gave Mary (11) above and see if that helps.

• Franco
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Kath, ….”Where is everyone today?” ……….Snowed in, but I still managed to reach the newsagents! Unfortunately, I arrived before the papers! Must try “Clued-up”/”Screwed-Up”. I will definitely try the free(?) seven-day trial of Telegraph Puzzles.

As it’s free, why not!

Regards, Scrooge!

• mary
        Posted December 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I tried it and kept in Franco, I have had very few problems with it and it is really good value for money :)

14. brendam
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Good fun today! Liked 19a the most. Thank you Virgilius and B.D. for confirming what I thought. Happy Christmas, everyone! I’m confined to the house AGAIN until today’s snowfall clears, and it isn’t icy underfoot. Boring!

15. Geoff
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Back from carols and drinkies, slightly the worse for wear, but ever mind! Down to four I don’t quite understand: 11a and 6d, unless 11a happens after 31 inst; 24d, are we looking for some initials here, on which a 14a often appears?; and 18a, I don’t understand at all. Anyone still awake ??

16. Posted December 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Geoff, You are correct in your placement of 11a: A word for ‘not far’ around (across) a UK river.
    6d – You need a word for ‘judge’ around a standard abbreviation for cold then add “be right”
    24d – correct. A diamond is an axample of one of these things (as is a heart!)
    Hope that helps!

• Geoff
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Jolly good, I’m done then, in spite of today’s excesses! Thanks, and glad you still up and about! 18a just dawned on me …

• Posted December 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

I’m up and strumming my early Christmas present – A Ukelele!

• Geoff
      Posted December 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Forgot to say thanks to setter and BD, delightful puzzle, so enjoyable!

17. Qix
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Eventually got hold of the puzzle – for which many thanks to “the GB”.

It was a thing of beauty. None too tricky, but the setter worked on this one, I think. I enjoyed it immensely.

My favourite clue was 14D, for memories of youth and Cornelia.

18. Claire
    Posted December 20, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

After a day of church and family I didn’t get down to this until I went to bed but then – what a delight! A super end to the day, many good fun clues but my favourite was 12d. Thanks setter & BD for a fine start to my Christmas hols :-)