NTSPP – 045 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 045

A Puzzle by Isla

– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the forty fifth in our series of weekly puzzles.

Today we have a first puzzle from a new setter. Isla, neither Scottish nor female, is a fan of Chilean footballer Mauricio Isla, the 22-year-old right-back who plays for Udinese in Italy. This puzzle is on the tough side, but well-worth the effort.

The puzzle by Isla is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 045

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. Collywobbles
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Come on BD, when will we get the cryptic comments

• Posted December 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’ve changed the name of the post to what it should have been. Thanks for pointing it out.

2. Radler
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I thought this one of the best puzzles in the NTSPP series. Very good surface readings throughout and cleverly disguised definitions. Difficult to choose favourites among so many good clues, but 2d is excellent (particularly its use of “cups”) and I especially liked 20a too

3. Posted December 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

2d really is an exceptional clue. It screams ‘Must have been used before!’ but it’s new to me – nothing short of perfection.

4. gazza
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I thought that this was excellent – Toughie standard but with a few easier clues to let you get a toehold. Favourite clues 11a, 20a and 2d.

5. tilly
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Really excellent puzzle to crank brain up again after a 2 week gap. Favourite was also 2d. Many thanks Isla.

Posted December 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Superb – very proud of the fact that I achieved it all on paper without having to go on line to the ‘reveal’ letter thingy. Same favourite clues as Gazza – 2d is as Anax says exceptional so clever but so simple. Thanks Isla – more please!

7. Tilsit
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable debut and some really entertaining clues.

8. Posted December 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Some lovely clues, and some others that I am still scratching my head over having checked the answers!.
    A very fine debut, Isla.

9. isla3
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 9:03 am | Permalink

From a long-time lurker and nervous debutant: Thanks for the comments, I’m glad if you enjoyed it.

In truth I had a bit of help, a more experienced cruciverbalist reviewed it and pointed out (many) shortcomings in the clues, and suggested a few good ideas. Even last week Big Dave made a handful of excellent suggestions in the final edit.

Thanks to all.