DT 26421 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26421 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Friday, 17th December.

1a    Where publicans may be bottled up? (6,4)
A cryptic definition of where publicans may be is a term for being bottled up in prison

18a    New US city a loner’s wandering round (7)
If you put New in front of this French city you get a US city – it’s an anagram (wandering round) of A LONER’S

They just don’t make them like this any more!

25a    Married woman’s ill-will (6)
A charade of M(arried) and a woman’s name give a synonym for ill-will

28a    Go to bed, with painful disorder arising in the morning (7,3)
A charade of a phrasal verb meaning go to bed (4,2) and a painful disorder in which excess of uric acid in the blood is deposited as urates in the joints, with swelling especially of the big toe (4) gives arising in the morning

1d    Shoot nuisance besieging a city (8)
Put a shoot on a plant and a nuisance around (besieging) A to get a city formed in 1873 by the union of cities on the right and left banks of the River Danube

5d    Seems troubled three times during the course (8)
An anagram (troubled)of SEEMS followed by a prefix meaning three times gives an academic half-year course

17d    Stick with New Testament disciple (8)
A charade of a verb meaning to stick followed by the abbreviation of New Testament gives a disciple or follower

22d    Penny turning blue at old American Indian village (6)
Combine a P(enny), an anagram (turning) of BLUE and O(ld) to get an American Indian village

The Saturday Crossword Club is now open. Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments.

1. Sheila
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Hey this is a first for me! Yay!! Finished all bar one – 21d – just can’t get my head round it but LOVED the puzzle today. Any extra clues for 21d??

• Barrie
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Thinks Rabbits

• April
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks Barrie – as soon as I saw the word ‘rabbits’ I got it straight away!

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

21d Caution about entering colony (6)

Put a word meaning to caution around the two-letter abbreviation for about to get a colony of small mammals

Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

21d, you need a four letter word for caution, with a two letter abbreviation for about inside i.e. ‘about entering’ to give you a word for colony, as Barrie says above think rabbits for the whole word!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:39 am | Permalink

That was the last one that I got too. No need to add any more hints as I think that everyone has got there before me! Couldn’t get beyond thinking of ‘care’ for caution!!

2. Barrie
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Excellent start to the weekend, just struggled with 4d then it all fell into place. Some clever clues today 18a, 25a 28a etc. probably far too easy for the experts but I enjoyed it! :-)

3. mary
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Good morning Dave, have just finished, I thought I was going to need your hints but was able to manage without albeit with help from books, machines etc. I found this difficult to get into but once I actually go going it fell nicely into place, 5d I Haven’t heard that prefix for thee times befor, maybe I have something wrong! don’t quite understand 6a or 10a and didn’t think 13d was a term for ‘forecasting’ disaster, thanks for hints Dave will read it all through again to try and understand! Not a bad one for CC today but it does require perservation :)

Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

fav clues 19d and 28a

4. Sheila
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I take it all back. I’ve finished! Forgive me for wittering on but this is such a big deal for me. Was thinking I wasn’t making any improvement until now! Never mind that it’s a misty cold morning, I’m off out to lunch with a spring in my step :-)

Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Well done Sheila, it’s a good feeling isn’t it :)

• Sheila
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

It certainly is Mary, it’s quite a buzz. I’m meeting 3 other women today for lunch. We’ve been meeting together for nearly 20 years, through many changes and events in our lives. I shall tell them about this although I’m not quite sure they’ll understand the pitch of excitement and 24a derived from it.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Never mind ‘we’ understand :) Have a nice lunch

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Well done and have a good lunch.

5. Sheila
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Thanks for the hints Barrie and Big Dave, I appreciate it, but I actually managed to get the clue before they popped onto my screen. I am one happy bunny. Tee hee

6. toadson
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Done this morning, but do we not think the ‘at an angle’ part of 11a is pushing it a bit? Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

agree toadson :)

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

The Compliments of the Season to each and every one of you. I was totally happy with the construct of all the answers except this one but having, checked the Blessed Chambers, I find that the word does exist but I think it’s highly unlikely I’d ever use it in conversation…

• Wayne
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

completed all but 11a, just don’t get it at all. Any clues ?????
      Thanx to all as usual.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Wayne you are looking for a word for very wet, take a five letter word for at an angle or an incline and pur the musical term for gentle or quiet inside

• Wayne
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Thank you Mary, Ouch, didn’t like that clue at all.

• Spindrift
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

The penny drops but mmm…

7. Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:00 am | Permalink

A pleasant solve with a couple of clues that caught me out initially. Thanks to the setter (probably Cephas) and BD.

8. mary
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Re 10a, where does the material come in?

• toadson
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I wondered the same …

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

anyone??

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:09 am | Permalink

as I see it this clue can be solved from the word play in a couple of ways but I cannot see where material caomes in at all!

• Nubian
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Mary, I assume material means any piece of fabric or card etc as cut out implies it in general terms. Cut out being the operative phrase.

• Nora
            Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Isn´t there a material called rep?

• Nora
              Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I´m sure it´s bad form to immediately answer my own point, and it was lazy of me not to look it up first, but anyway rep is a silk, wool, rayon, or cotton fabric with a transversely corded surface.

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

10a Ready with material cut out in advance (8)

A word meaning ready is a verb meaning cut out material from, say, an apple with a prefix meaning in advance

See also below!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Thanks Dave and Nubian but the clue can work without the word material can’t it??

• Dickiedot
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Hi Mary, *** is a fabric with prominent rounded crosswise ribs

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

thanks Dickiedot, I just found that out :)

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Well done Dickiedot – your comment was so accurate I’ve had to censor it!

Put a word meaning cut around (out) a material.

• Dickiedot
              Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Oooops sorry BD

• toadson
            Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Well that explains it. Thanks.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

also 10a – letters 2,3,4, is a word for a type of corded material used in upholstery, this in the word for cut out gives us the same answer???

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

The more I look at this one, the less I like it. Neither explanation given seems entirely satisfactory.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I totally agree Dave, it keeps niggling at me

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Could we be completely on the wrong track here? could the definition be ‘in advance’, ready would be the verb to ready, the first 4 letters of the answer, followed by a material or fabric shortened, afraid I can’t think of the shortened material using those letters though??

• Nubian
            Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I have to say the clue looks obvious to me. The first three letters are ‘in advance’ and the last five describe ‘a piece of material that has been cut’. Put them together and you get a word meaning ‘ready’

9. Nubian
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

A good puzzle today with many enjoyable clues. The top right corner had me stumped for a while but other than that not to taxing.
    Snow is meltng and my bike is winking at me!..fire up the Ridgeback!.
    Thanks to Dave and Cephas

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Don’t forget your puncture kit!

10. peter
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

We finished unaided

27a. Was my favourite

Using my iPhone I cannot access other comments which is a shame

hope everyone liked it though I suspect too easy for some:)

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Peter, what’s the problem with viewing comments on an iPhone?. I use the WordPress mobile format (which it defaults to but you can select it) and the comments follow on from the post after the adverts.There is a link to click which expands them.
      All of this is irrelevant, of course, until you look at this comment from your PC!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

just what I was thinking Gnomey :)

• Prolixic
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Glad it is not just me then. Something must have changed in the WordPress template that generates the iPhone view as it has suddenly started playing up and lots of the usual links don’t work.

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I upgraded the theme to Sandbox 1.6.2 earlier in the week, but was unaware of any change to the mobile app. I have asked, but only major upgrades are announced and there is no change log – bad IT policy.

• Gari
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I have no problems accessing the blog using my Blackberry and since the upgrade it seems to be faster than before. :D

Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:52 am | Permalink

All done over the umpteenth cup of coffee. Agree that it was probably too easy to please the experts but I enjoyed it – just the right standard for me this morning! Also agree that the five letter word meaning ‘at an angle’ in 11a could be pushing it a bit. Liked 14, 25 and 28a and 1, 4, and 22d. I had never heard of the last three letters of 5d meaning ‘three times’ but it had to be what it was. Off to do shopping for my Mum now – she’s FINALLY coming out of hospital tomorrow after breaking her leg in the middle of September! Who knows what the next few days are going to throw at us ….

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Good luck Kath :)

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary – I think that we may well need it! She’s still quite wobbly on her pins – we’ll see! :smile:

12. Zofbak
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Having become an addicted follower of the Big Dave site in the last few months, delighted to say this morning was completed in best time (for me). Can’t tell you all how much your comments and hints both educate and amuse! Many thanks BD for putting together such a great forum and thanks to today’s setter – how on earth do you guess who they are?

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Zofbak

All Saturday puzzles used to be by Cephas, but he told us a few weeks back that he would be appearing less often. It looks, at the moment, like every other week. Many setters have a style that can usually, but not always, be recognised. This one definitely looks like Cephas.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Brilliant site isn’t it? I spend far too long reading it (lots of the regular readers would probably say that I spend far too long commenting too ….?)

13. Rod Ash
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I started late again today and have hit a snag with 23a………I think all the surrounding answers are OK. I liked 14a,28a, 1d and 2d.
    A small push on 23a will be appreciated…thanks

• Wayne
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

A holiday at sea perhaps.

14. Rod Ash
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you Wayne!!

15. Wayne
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you Mary. Ouch, didn’t like that clue at all.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Before I start commenting on the very lovely Saturday puzzle, can I just say Harrumph to the person at the DT who thinks its clever to put an advertisement on the back of the paper. Its not, its very aggravating and today’s advert is worse than those phones, who has wealth to invest these days? Harrumph over. Sorry.

I really enjoying solving this puzzle – didn’t take very long but quite a few clues made me smile. So thank you Cephas (presumably) and BD.

I can heartily recommend the NTSPP, hints and tips for which will appear later this afternoon.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

and I meant to say, remember that material in 10a – it’s appeared quite a lot over the years and is bound to turn up again..

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

This clue is still niggling at me Sue, if the definition is ‘ready’ then it could be an anagram of the two words needed i.e. synonyms for ‘material & cut’ – ‘out’ being the indicator, but either way now where does ‘in advance’ come in, it sounds as though you need to add an ‘a’??? so many confusing ways to look at this clue, maybe ‘the setter’ will put us straight?

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

How about it having two definitions ‘ready’ and ‘in advance’, *** being the material and ***** being the cut. ‘out’ should then be ‘in’ because you put the material in the cut. Bet people are glad its not me doing the review! Perhaps the setter will elucidate later today. I

Iam off to make a quick stir fry and then out for a walk in the lovely sun and relatively, compared with the last couple of weeks, ‘tropical’ temperature.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

‘tropical’ ‘sun’ you sure you’re in the UK Sue! :)

Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Mary – lovely sunshine, blue sky, and no wind. temp approx 8 deg which is much better than all those minus 4’s and more we had last week.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

we have had blue skies and sunshine I must admit but it is dull and overcast today but as you say, much warmer

• Prolixic
            Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

For what it is worth I took it as Ready as one definition and the other 3, 5 as describing material that has been cut out in advance.

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

That was more-or-less my original thought – perhaps I shouldn’t have changed my mind!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

sorry Dave :(

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Just couldn’t and still can’t then see where the material comes in then

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I suppose to pare a material is to trim it down, so——–yes, I give in, maybe, sort of! sorry to have caused trouble :)

• paolors
      Posted December 12, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Totally agree about the advertisement on the back page. terrible idea

17. Geoff
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

All done, with much relief after a complete disaster with last Saturday’s puzzle. Pleasant enough, with one I didn’t like, 11a. Like Kath, stuck on ‘care’ for caution in 21d for ages and putting the answer for 25a in 23a didn’t help much! Lots of help needed, one or two hints and needed the toys for 23a as could neither sea the relevance of main nor the word itself.

Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

really well done Geoff :)

• David R
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

One definition of main is the open ocean

18. hometown47
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Think I’m done apart from 19d!. Assuming that I’ve got 18a, 24a,26a and 28a there don’t seem to be many words that fit in 19d – problem is that I can’t seem to get the clues ‘to fit’ in with the answer (or vice-versa!). Anyone able to enlighten me on 19d ?

• Zofbak
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Abbreviation for second + a big mountain?

• Upthecreek
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

S [second] + highest mountain. OK?

Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

The usual one word abbreviation for ‘second’ followed by the highest mountain in the world (I think, and am sure that someone will tell me if I’m wrong!) whole word meaning most dangerous or harshest.

• john
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

How about (S)econd and then a large peak creating a synonym for most dangerous…….

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog John

• John
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

• hometown47
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Doh! Easy when you know! Shouldn’t always trust the online tools….

Thx for help.

19. Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Big Dave, your use of the Gary ‘U.S.’ Bonds track to illustrate 18a brought back some memories… In the late 60s, The Scorpions – a Crewe soul band who used the name before the German outfit – invariably opened with this song but used three saxes – two baritones and a tenor – and gave it a fuller sound. Those were the days…

20. Little Dave
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid after some recently improved and challenging Saturday puzzles, normal service has resumed – DT 26,421 is the easiest puzzle of the week by miles. 28a was the best of a bad bunch in my view. 1a quite clever.

The crossword was also again off the back page so this also irked me a tad.

But at least I am avoiding Christmas shopping. BAH!

A West Brom win today will help me cheer up.

• Upthecreek
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Dave. Did you realise Little Dave’s is an anagram of ‘Detest Villa’

21. Little Dave
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

WOW! Never realised that! Honest. Wolves are our big rivals of course. I do prefer cricket though.

• Upthecreek
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I will have to work on that one, its only 22 letters!

22. Upthecreek
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Quite an enjoyable puzzle today, done in quick time with no ‘last clue blues’ at last. i was waiting for Mary’s tips but I wasn’t 10a for the above avalanche. Favs were 1a and 1d but also liked 4 14 19 21 26 and 28.

23. Pete
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Why have we been kicked off the back page again by some advert, I cannot tell you what for so it doesn’t work.
    Apart from that an enjoyable work out. I find it better to sit down with the puzzle and see it through rather than do it in bits the way I have done recently.
    What is Caravaggio talking about? Who or what is Gary Bonds!?
    Thanks to setter and the bloggers, great fun

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

A sixties US artist who had a couple of hits – the one in the YouTube video in the hints and this one: “Quarter to three”

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3lkD1dCxRg&rel=1&showinfo=0&w=309&h=250]

• Libellule
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Slightly more than a 60s singer… I have a couple of his albums – namely Dedication and On the Line, highly recommended – as they feature Springsteen and the E Street Band.

24. mary
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Off for a while back later to see if setter has been to explain 10a it’s still bugging me!
    LATERS :)

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Mary

This is a prize puzzle, so there is no chance of an explanation from Cephas until after the closing date – if at all.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Of course, duh!

• Upthecreek
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Mary. Do you realise you have made 26 posts today, I think you should go for a lie down to prepare yourself for 5.30!!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Your concern is touching UTC! but as I’ve just explained to Nubian at 5.30 I shall be tooting my flute in Church!! but thank you anyway :-D

• Collywobbles
          Posted December 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I think that we should ration Marys’ posts

25. Little Dave
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

1- 0 down. It’s getting worse!

26. Nubian
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Mary, may I wish you well in the forthcoming confrontation which I hope will be played with quality and panache. I”l check my hubcaps later. Toon Army!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I accept your sincere wishes Nubian!!

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

unfortunately I will be in Church when the game kicks off!

• Nubian
          Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Are you that desperate to win ?

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The power of prayer, we need all the help we can get :)

• Collywobbles
              Posted December 13, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

That’s now 30 posts. When will it end?

• Franco
            Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Nubian, am I not right in thinking that Newcastle is a city?

Why the “Toon Army?” Does “Toon = “Town” ?

As I am a neutral, I just hope that the best team wins! (And the best team is Liverpool!)

Hubcaps on the Ridgeback?

• Nubian
              Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

It’s a Geordie thing Franco, football here is a religion, and if I am not mistaken even our capital city is often refered to as London Town.

• Franco
                Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

A religion? Was Chris Hughton sacked or excommunicated?

• Nubian
                  Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Who?

• Franco
                    Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

St Christopher (Last Year).

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Back to 10a – when I first wrote it in it didn’t occur to me to think about it very much but there have been SO many comments that I’ve been looking at it all ways up. Could there be THREE ways of looking at it?
    1. Everyone agrees that the whole eight letter answer means ‘ready’
    2. The material is the second, third and fourth letters of the answer with the first letter and the last four letters meaning
    ‘cut’ and the ‘out ‘ bit meaning outside the material,
    3. Cut out in advance – the last five letters mean ‘cut out’ and the first three mean ‘in advance’ ie before
    Or is this just fogging the whole thing and making it all much more complicated than necessary? :grin:

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

no I think we have looked at it this way too Kath, it is just all gettting mixed up now :) and I think that is a plausible solution too, we will just have to wait!

28. Al
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Big Dave – don’t know if something has changed on the tech side, but just to let you know there seems to be a problem accessing the comments on the “mobile version” of your site.

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

It has been mentioned – I’ll try to find out.

• Al
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Apologies for the repetition – just couldn’t see the previous comments until I cranked up the PC! In the middle of enjoying today’s puzzle – thanks again for a fantastic site that has really helped my standard improve.

• Prolixic
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Whatever the issue was, it seems to have been corrected. Mobile version on iPhone is now working correctly.

29. Little Dave
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

10a is quite simple – fully explained I think Mary.

Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I think we can take our pick now Little Dave :)
      |Anyway I’m off now UTC is counting my comments! :)

• Upthecreek
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

• Collywobbles
        Posted December 13, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

So am I – 31

30. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Quite agree with Sue & others about the back page being sold to a bank for the day – still at least it’s not one we own !!

Apart from that, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this weeks puzzle and amazingly got most of the answers by myself – but I did enjoy watching and listening to 18a’s hint – thanks BD !

Just one problem remains can someone give me a clue for 3d please ? Then I’ll go away !!

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

3d Una’s as troublesome in the capital (6) An anagram (troublesome) of UNA’S AS gives a Caribbean capital

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks, BD – I’ll sleep now ! I could not for the life of me get it – Dooooh !!

Finished and a lot happier than last week !

Good Night

31. Nubian
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Sorry Mary and Franco but 3-1.3-1.3-1.3-1.3-1.3-1.3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Toon,Toon,Black and White Army !!!

• Franco
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Well played, the Toon!! Thoroughly deservered!

• Franco
        Posted December 11, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Nubian, I meant to say “Thoroughly well deserved!

I don’t know if it’s me, or the latest version of the “WordPress Sandbox theme” installedd by BD but Mozilla Firefox SpellChecker doesn’t seem to pick up my typos as well as it used to?

BD, What is WordPress Sandbox ?

• Posted December 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

How long have you got?

In simple terms any WordPress blog consists of the underlying software together with a theme. The one I use is called Sandbox, a very basic theme which allows extensive customisation. Most of what you see is what I have added to the theme by means of CSS (Cascading Style Sheet).

• Wayne
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Interesting anagram of new managers name.

32. mary
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

you were obviously praying harder Nubian :(

• Franco
      Posted December 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Can we all, please, offer up a prayer for West Ham? …………but, maybe, it’s too late!!

• Collywobbles
      Posted December 13, 2010 at 11:48 am | Permalink

33. Al
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Finished off this morning and enjoyed this one. Can anyone enlighten me as to the references in 9a and 2d meaning “two” or “a couple” – its clearly a crossword land connection which I can’t figure out.

Posted December 12, 2010 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Al,
      Both clues require you to put together two words. In 9a it’s two male names; in 2d it’s two ways of referring to a journalist.

34. Al
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Of course! Many thanks Gazza.

35. Bob sare
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 8:54 am | Permalink

2d I take to be ‘******’ comprising two words for journalist, namely a ‘****’ and an **(****).
    Similarly 9a I believe to be ‘******’ as in ‘he has a ****** tendency for…’, comprising two men’s names – **** and **.

Any ideas for 11a?

Posted December 12, 2010 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Hi Bob – welcome to the blog.
      I had to censor your comment – please read the sentence in red at the bottom of the review.

Posted December 12, 2010 at 9:05 am | Permalink

11a Gently at an angle outside, it is very wet (6)
      See Mary’s response to Wayne within comment #6 above.

36. Robert Stevenson
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

West Ham were always a good 2nd division side.

• Franco
      Posted December 12, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Apart from 1966 when they won the World Cup! :smile:

37. paolors
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword but I have to say far to easy for a prize puzzle.

38. Chadwick Ong'ara