ST 2564 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2564 (Hints)

Hints and tips from Big Dave

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Friday, 3rd December.

1a    Fare for Italians from Mediterranean island (7)
A double definition – Italian sausages and an island to the west of Athens

11a    Frenchman demonstrated about short measure (9)
This Frenchman is from the southeast of the country and is a charade of a word meaning demonstrated and the short form of the measure of the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C , a two-letter abbreviation for about and a short measure [Thanks Mary, I got the wrong measure there]

23a    Places where people can read overlapping signs (9)
These places where people can read is formed by overlapping two signs of the zodiac

28a    Island city in uproar about dreadful nude (7)
A city and port in the South Island, New Zealand, is constructed by putting an uproar around an anagram (dreadful) of NUDE

1d    Person who shoots fish (7)
A person who shoots photographs and a fish related to the basses

6d    Graves may be opened by this gang from part of Ireland (9)
It will open Sauternes as well!

14d    A great number upset about much agricultural business (5,4)
Reverse a very large number (6) and then insert another word for much (3), in the sense of in a great degree, to get an agricultural business

24d    Like many flying from Russia via Norway (5)
An adjective meaning relating to birds is hidden inside the last three words of the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

1. mary
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave, big game for us today, I have money on Liverpool to win! I put a little money on them to win v Chelsea and they did, I have now put that on them to win against You (The Spurs) :) This was a tought ‘in places’ crossword. lots of clues I liked and lots I thought should be in the toughie such as 14d, the 3 letter word here is a bit of a ‘loose connection’ to much IMHO! I needed lots of help but not the hints, worth the CC perservating today, if you have the time! a sense of satisfaction when finishing it :)

Come on Liverpool :-)

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I’m inclined to agree about 14d (but not about the football!)

If you replace “much” in the phrase “much greater value” with the word in question it has the same meaning, but it’s hard to work that out without knowing the answer.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I agree (but not about the football) :)

• Franco
          Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

May the best team win! And the best team is Tottenham!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Sorry to disagree again :)

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

What’s the score, Mary?

2-1 it’s a win for Spurs!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I’m saying nothing!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Feeling fairly smug as this is the second Sunday in a row that I’ve finished the puzzle – having said that there are some that I don’t understand – 15a – middle five letters, fine, but where do the first and last two come from? 8d – I can’t work out at all but think that what I’ve got has to be right, if only because I can’t think of anything else that would fit!! (it does mean we can hear everything within it but don’t understand how it fits with the first bit of the clue) Lots of clues that I really liked – 23 and 27a and 4d (dead clever about alternative French and Spanish articles) 6d and 21d. Very cold here – down to -5C last night and is still only -2C. Off for dog walk – brrrrrrrr!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

PS Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave. Where is everyone today – hibernating?

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Kath 15d – it’s contained in the clue

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I mean 15a sorry

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

8d is an anagram of others with A for acre in it

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

-17 not too far from here last night!!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Sundays are usually much quieter Kath, don’t really know why, enjoy your walk

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks for 8d – why didn’t I see that? I didn’t mean 15a I meant 17a – any help in explaining it gratefully received.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

17a Opposition accepting rule by king, one from another country (9)
                  The definition is one from another country. Put a word meaning opposition or enemy around a synonym for rule, then finish with an abbreviation for king.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Thank you Gazza and Mary – I had the right answer but had got in a muddle because I had the five letter word in the middle meaning ‘rule by king’ rather than just ‘rule’ which left me with a spare ‘king’ at the end if anyone sees what I mean! Anyway all is now clear.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Yes, its a five letter word for rule inside a three letter word for opposition or enemy i.e. opposition accepting king, ‘by king’ means to put the abbreviation for king (1 letter) next to it

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

left out rule by, sorry
                    That’s why Gnomey :-D
                    I would only make people more confused

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

When giving hints I find it best to put “to rule” if, as here, it is a verb or “a rule” if a noun.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

thanks Dave I’ll try to rememberbut it is all a muddle in my head, I understand what I’m trying to say but it doesn’t quite come out right, bit like on COW!! :-D

3. pommers
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle today, as I’ve come to expect from Virgilius (presumably it was he).
    Favourite 8d for its very cleverly hidden definition.
    Too many other good clues to mention individually.
    Thanks to the setter and BD.
    BTW, weather here is back to normal service. Not a cloud in the sky and warm enough to dispense with pullover.

4. mary
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Dave I thought 11a was a 6 letter word for demonstrated, with a 2 letter abbreviation for about followed by one letter for a measurement i.e. short measure or is that what you’re saying?

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I think you’re right – I couldn’t see where “about” came into it as I only tried the one-letter abbreviation.

• Nubian
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I thought it was in two parts with demonstarted and then a shorter version of the units I am trying to loose on my diet.

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

So did I, but that doesn’t account for the “about”

• Nubian
            Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Is the clue to the first part not ‘demonstrated about’ . Thats the way I read it.

• Nubian
            Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Unless of course the ‘about’ should be the latin definition but then you have to justify the ‘short measure’

• Nubian
              Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

No, jthe last letter justifies it if you use the Latin two letter definition. sorted

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I think that about is, as you say, the latin followed by the one letter abbreviation for a unit (measure) of volume.

5. Digby
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

A very nice Sunday work-out, with lots of excellent clues such as 8d, 23a & 11a. Lovely sunny day in West Sussex, so a walk in the woods beckons. Thanks to our setter & BD for the confirmatory hints.

6. brendam
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Lucky Pommers! Temperature here about -3! I’m told the snow is 1 ft. deep but being a bit disabled I’m not about to test it! Enjoyed this crossword on the whole though not sure about 2d Why “miss”? My answer might be wrong. Perish the thought!

• Posted November 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

It’s a charade of a young Miss and a dictionary – the rest is the definition.

7. Nubian
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I must say I found a lot of these clues were double definitions with one part cryptic and the other general knowledge. Most of the time I just looked at the general knowledge part and justified it with the cryptic part so it proved to be a slightly easier puzzle.
    Anyway I have just experienced the ‘big society’, as I went out to clear my drive in our cul de sac, several other men were doing theirs and someone suggested we do the whole cul de sac. Two hours later and lots of stiff backs and cold feet and we were finished. You can’t beat a bit of male bonding of a Sunday morning.
    Thanks to Big Dave and the Setter

8. gnomethang
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

2d wad my favourite – lovely clue.
    Thanks to BD and Virgilius.
    Mary, tell me again why you aren’t reviewing?

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

You do keep on Gnomey! :)

9. mary
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Off to get ‘ready’ for the big game, I would wish you luck Dave but you’d know I wouldn’t mean it :-D

• Nubian
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Sorry Mary I’m for Spurs today, we just held Chelsea to a draw and if you win we will get kicked into the bottom half of the table.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Just watched your guys but, unfortunately, on Kanal 6 which is a Danish channel. Still, the players names are the same in Danish and the result was still as good! Thanks, your guys did mine a favour!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

no problem :(

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

yesw well done you I didn’t want Chelsea to win, I only want them to win, when they’re playing ManU!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

What did I ever do to you?

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Suppose I should be supporting Liverpool as they seem less of a threat in the title race. However, as a Mancunian, I somehow can’t get behind the Scousers – come on you Spurs!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Sorry pommers but I would really have to support Spurs in a title race v Man U

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

or Arsenal or Chelsea or just about anyone :)

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Repeat previous reply!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

sorry Pommers its not personal, its just that Man U is a team everyone loves to hate :) nothing against Mancunians!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

OK, I understand but I was born in Stretford about 200yds from Old Trafford ground so I’ve been a supporter since before I can remember!Also Lancashire CC was about quarter of a mile away so ditto!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a magnificent Sunday puzzle, lots of good clues – I have ‘spots’ by lots of favourites. Thanks Virgilius for the great entertainment and BD for the hints and other assistance this morning!

A few snow showers here in E Kent but it didn’t stick around long. Nice wet roads now to make ice rinks for the morning drive to work.

• gnomethang
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

We didn’t get any snow 30 miles up the road CSue!

11. Upthecreek
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Just got round to the xword and finished it without Mary’s hints. Equal favs were 2 and 8 but I also liked 3 6 12 [put spick in for starters] 20 21 and 25. I wondered what Mary and Kath thought about our exploits in Oz, as I know it is their favourite game!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Exploits in Oz looked pretty good last night after a dodgy Day 1. Still, you can’t argue with a hat-trick and one of them does rather make a mess of an innings! A draw in Test 1 will do for me!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Was about to reply and say “What exploits in Oz” but then even I realised what you were talking about! Who knows or cares would about cover it as far as I’m concerned but I suspect you already knew that!

• Franco
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thank God that Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Adam Gilchrist (et alia) have retired! Day 4 of the test must be the greatest rearguard action by England for years!

Let’s have more cricket references in the Cryptic, please!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on all of that Franco!
          Shame about the rugby!

• Upthecreek
            Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Mary will be able to comment on Oz as she will still be in shock after the Soccer.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

OK OK we lost but I wouldn’t say the best team won!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I would!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

who? what? Oh cricket !

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

My sentiments exactly Kath, now soccer that’s different :)

• Upthecreek
          Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Sure is. Players rolling round in agony, threatening the ref and trying to get each other sent off. Cricket must be really boring!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

It really is UTC at least for me, one of the few sports I don’t watch, did u have a good day out yesterday????

• Upthecreek
              Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Not really – went to bottle bank and shopping. Just think of all the clues you would be able to answer about no-balls and bails and things like off side and leg side. You really should take an interest!!

12. Libellule
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I know this is off topic, but does anybody else have a go at the Sunday GK Crossword? After the last few Sundays I feel like I am in the hands of a pangram addict who doesn’t care about General Knowledge. The more obscure the clue, the better so long as it contains a Q, X or Z and fits the grid. I am beginning to wonder what is the point…. my 2c, hope Mr. McNeill picks this up!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Never tried it but after your post I may have a look in the morning!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I didn’t buy a paper this week so can’t comment on today’s GK but agree that the last few Sundays have been exactly as you describe. One clue last week was so obscure that I couldn’t even track down the answer on Google!

• Upthecreek
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

What about 14a then? I think it is something one drives round a menagerie!

13. AnnB
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Good CW today finished ….so now doing the dinner so hubby pleased with that & the Toon result.
    Still very cold here -9c now .

14. Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Another fine puzzle from Virgilius as we come to expect on a Sunday. I found most of it straightforward, although the NW held me up for a while.
    Many good clues; I liked 17a, and 6d.
    Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

No baby yet then? Good luck to all concerned when something does eventually happen ..

• Jezza
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath. Still nothing! The last couple of days have really dragged, waiting for something to happen. Lamb Madras is on the menu tonight, but not overly confident that it will make any difference. Still… washed down with a bottle of wine to myself could make for an enjoyable evening :)

Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

How will you drive to the hospital???

• Jezza
            Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Mary

I have that one covered… my sister-in-law staying with us does not drink :)

15. mary
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Going to cheer myself up now by watching Stictly and X Factor, now where’s my bar of chocolate…………

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Pommette insists on that as well – and the chocolate! What about Wagner? I’ve heard it said that his music is better than it sounds but I think that the comment was made about a different Wagner!

16. pommers
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Sorry, been unusually verbose today! There’s not much to do on a Sunday in Spain (if you’re not a Catholic churchgoer) apart from watch footy and keep the blog open!
    Off to the telly now.
    See y’all again.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoy your Telly and yes that must have been a different Wagner! apparently X Factor Wagner has a huge fan base, I’m not one of them! :)

Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Neither am I, nor the Widdi thingy on Strictly!

17. Geoff
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Got there eventually, with lots of help, after being sidetracked by The Lion in Winter on telly. Lovely puzzle, some of it quite tricky and have to agree that 2d is a very good clue and 5d was a very hard clue!

Don’t understand 3d and 20d, can’t see how blood transfusion is relevant. If someone can explain … ?

Thanks to Virgilius, I presume, BD and several comments by Mary, Kath.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Geoff really well done, thought you’d gone missing today :) 20d is a word for wound with the initial letter of blood being put in (transfusion) to give you somewhere to rest

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

3d the first 3 letters are what a bishop may be, the last two are two points of the compass, this gives you an ecclesiastical rsidence at least that’s how I think it works

• Geoff
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Doh! I read it as wound, as in injury … These puzzles can be really tricky!!

• Geoff
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Hmm, maybe 3d, along with 13a, aren’t the greatest clues. I’m with Gnomethang, why aren’t you reviewing these ???

• Upthecreek
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

3d Think of chess and geography
      20d Think of wound as rhyming with hound. Then put B [initial] into it [transfusion] to get somewhere to sleep
      Think Mary must be watching striclly!

• Upthecreek
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Mary wasn’t watching strictly!

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I can multitask :)

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

but my notebook is a bit small, prefer my desktop computer :)

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

On 20d It’s significant that ONE can rest there, rather than two.

Posted November 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

yes, I completely missed that Gazza, thanks

18. Geoff
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

How rude of me … thank you to Mary and UTC for the explanations. No snow here today, too darned cold! The frost didn’t melt even on the cars where the sun DID shine!

• Upthecreek
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Its a pleasure but Mary’s were better as usual!

19. Nora
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Great crossword but it seems the blog has become more of a weather and football forum rather than exchange of views on the clues.

• Upthecreek
      Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Nora
      What did you think about tha cricket?

• Upthecreek
        Posted November 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Even the cricket.

• Nora
          Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I´m not a cricket fan – 5 day games that often end in a draw brought about by bad light or other such phenomena are tedious in the extreme. However, I find the vocabulary hilarious and usually I am not stumped by the cricket clues which crop up in so many cryptic crosswords.

20. Geoff
    Posted November 28, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

It’s a weekend, especially Sunday, thing. Personally, I can barely spell sport and was astonished that I got 22a so easily.

21. Derek
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle from Brian presumably.
    Best clues for me : 11a, 23a, 6d & 16d.

For 1a no trouble re the food but to locate the island I had to consult my copy of Chambers’s World Gazetteer & Geographical Dictionary – original 1954 edition – edited by Collocott & Thorne.

Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:12 am | Permalink

That sounds an interesting book Derek

• Derek
        Posted November 29, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

It is useful – particularly if you are searching for former names of places – eg look at Africa – how place and state names have changed since WW2. And not just Africa but just about everywhere else on the planet (Earth). In GB they mucked about with the county boundaries several years ago stuck little Rutland into Leicestershire – drowned half of it – and later put it back again.
        My son was born in Warrington which then and traditionally was in Lancashire – now in Cheshire –
        You can go on for pages about this “tommyrot”.

Plus ça change plus ce n’est pas la même chose

22. paolors
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

V good

23. paolors
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

In fact now I have finished it, no time for it yesterday, I have to say its one of the most enjoyable crosswords I have done in a long time. Lots if good clues, some quite tricky ones but managed it unaided. Many thanks to the setter, (not that anyone will see thus being a day late…)