NTSPP – 041 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 041

A Puzzle by Gazza

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the forty first in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week we have a special treat – a debut puzzle from our very own Gazza.  After a string of wins in the DIY COW clue writing competition, Gazza has been persuaded to set a whole puzzle – and it’s a cracker!

The puzzle by Gazza is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 041

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. tilly
    Posted November 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

A new star is born! Well done, Gazza on an excellent puzzle. Thanks for the fun. Lot of clues I liked but favourites – 5d, 15d (happy memories of a visit to that town), and 17d. And as for 23d, just before lunch …!!

• Spindrift
      Posted November 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

23d! And we’ve got home made sausage rolls for lunch – nice! Seriously though, cracking quiz Gazza – well done!

Posted November 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Well done and thank you Gazza – an excellent Saturday puzzle – some wonderful clues, no obscure theme and a very entertaining lunchtime diversion. Too many favourites to list. Looking forward to the next one.

3. Prolixic
    Posted November 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Brilliant – many thanks for a super crossword. Hopefully, the first of many.

4. Mr Tub
    Posted November 20, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Well done Gazza! They’ll be toasting you in The Town Arms tonight!

5. Radler
    Posted November 21, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. Congratulations on an enjoyable first puzzle. (Must be BD’s turn try his hand soon.)

6. Franny
    Posted November 21, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Bravo, Gazza! I printed this out and really looked forward to attempting it — but, alas, I find it is a bit too much of a struggle for me. I’ve only managed to find five words, which just goes to show how Clueless I still am. Could you possibly give us an analysis at some time, so that the likes of me can climb on to your wavelength and improve our puzzling skills?

Thanks, and Bon Dimanche! :-)

• tilly
      Posted November 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Anything I can help with in the meantime, Franny?

• Prolixic
      Posted November 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I will try and get a review with hints tips up some time today.

• pommers
        Posted November 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic – I too am lilely to need a little help the way things are going!

• Prolixic
          Posted November 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

About 2/3 of the way through. Taking a break to cook Sunday dinner – leg of pork with roast veg (including the dreaded Jerusalem Artichokes – gale warnings for the area tomorrow undoubtedly!)

• pommers
            Posted November 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Lucky you! We had pizza and salad while watching the X Factor results! Deep joy – NOT!
            I see the review is there so thanks for that as I’ll probably need it in half an hour or so when I give up. Done the bottom half but otherwise struggling. I’ll keep trying for now.

• pommers
              Posted November 21, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Given up and now going to your review.