ST 2560 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2560 (Hints)

Hints and tips from Big Dave

– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a few of the better clues and provide hints for them (a few more than usual this week!).

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Friday, 5th November.

1a           House redesigned in scale that’s not silly (14)
One of the Houses of Parliament followed by an anagram (redesigned) of IN SCALE gives a word that means not silly

12a         Prattling away in happy band (10)
This word meaning prattling away is a charade of happy, as was Noel Coward’s Spirit, and a band

15a         Make smaller number of spades, for example (8)
A word meaning to make smaller could also be a bid of six, or any other number from one to seven, spades

26a         After one, late listening broadcast for highbrows (14)
After I (one) put an anagram (broadcast) LATE LISTENING to get these highbrows

1d           Intimidate cast in accommodation not fit for pigs? (7)
A charade of synonyms for to intimidate and to cast gives this accommodation for different farm animals (not pigs)

7d           One source of plastic originally in camera, say (8,7)
One source of plastic is the definition and you derive it from an anagram (originally) of IN CAMERA followed by a word meaning to say

16d         Crazy over a girl recollected in old song (8)
A synonym for crazy is followed by ( in a down clue) over an anagram (recollected) A GIRL to get part-song for several voices, especially one of the Renaissance period, typically unaccompanied and arranged in elaborate counterpoint

23d         Flair coming from France, or from Ireland (4)
This, originally French, word meaning flair is hidden inside the last word of the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

1. mary
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Hello Dave, sorry to rush you but I’ve been waiting to understand 15a, I still don’t quite understand it, though I have the answer, is it to do with bridge? also 4d, is that from cricket? if so it doesn’t seem very cryptic? I was a while getting 7d as I had put ‘turn’ in 22a, it works too doesn’t it, because Chambers C D gives it as a synonym for bias, apart from that I thought it was a really nice one today, especially liked 21a, 3d, 20d,13d, 18a
    Thanks Dave for hints, hope you all had good time yesterday :)

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

15a – yes, the game is actually called ******** Bridge

4d – yes, you run in only one direction to score one of these

22a says biased interpretation, not bias

Yes – I had a great time yesterday.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that :), I know nothing about bridge but I did know that about cricket, is there something I’m missing in this one or is it really just not very cryptic?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Oh I see now, but still….. not very :D

• Nubian
            Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Mary, I suppose if you new nothing about cricket it could also be similar to buying a ticket on the bus when you are only going one way.

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

That’s probably a better explanation than mine!

I only ever buy return tickets.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I don’t like buses but if I did, I would get them free now!

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I do get them free, but only use my pass when in London.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Oooh naughty Nubian, we aren’t supposed to give alternative clues any more :)

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

If you read it as a double definition, Nubian is right.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

but where would the ‘run’ come in then??

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

As the first definition

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Oh, mmmm yea

2. Mr Tub
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

That made my Sunday! What a contrast to yesterday! Full of life, spirit, energy and good clues like 16d, 20d and 22d (which was unexpected as I thought 11a was this week’s trademark clue). All thanks to the setter and I’m already looking forward to next Sunday.
    How’s the head Big Dave?

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

OK now, thanks.

I jinxed the train home again – last time over an hour late due to points failure, this time 45 minutes late due to crew arriving late from another service!

• Mr Tub
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I’ll try that one later: seeing as the pub’s only ’round the corner it’ll be interesting to see if I get away with it…

3. Nubian
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I found today irritating and sat staring at 1a for what seemed like eternity. I had eventually to sneek a look at Dave’s hint and I was off and running.
    Thanks Dave and also to the Setter.
    Sunday mornings…..death where is thy sting ?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Nubian are you saying you’ve done this all since Dave put the hints up????

• Nubian
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I was wanting the hint for 1a, I had completed about three quarters.I have to admit I wasn’t thinking of cricket in 4d as run normally means r and it was not the first letter of the answer.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Yes I was thinking r too, then I thought the only direction with r in it was North, but that didn’t fit, but I liked it better! :)

• Lea
      Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I’m with you Nubian – I too found it quite an irritating puzzle. Although I got the first part of 1a quite easily the last part took me ages and I don’t like the word. There were a few others I thought weak – agree with Mary on 4d – not my cup of tea even though I go with the alternative hint as that’s how I thought of it – not a cricket clue. Bottom half wnet in very quickly but the top half was delayed with 7d and last half of 1a. Not my favourite of the week.

Thanks to setter and to BD.

Any photos going to come from yesterday BD? Sorry to hear about the trains – not nice when you are heading home and all you want to do is get there…..

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I found this puzzle neither difficult nor irritating – and it’s the morning after the night before, although fortunately my train ran perfectly to time :) The 15 letter words were my favourites, even though we only had 2d the other day (albeit with different wordplay). Thanks to Virgilius and BD, not only for the hints but also for his part in the nice time had by all yesterday afternoon.

5. Chris Price
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Found parts easy, and parts puzzling – even when I had the answer. Only one remaining is 18a – so I have all the checking letters – but still don’t see it. Helpful hints appreciated. Regarding 1a the ending is an anagram if in scale, but I agree it is a sttrange word. My favorite was 10a, and it was almost the last to go in.
    Not completely sure of logic of 26a I know the answer fits the definition but not sure where other parts of clue come in.
    Please some strong hints on 18a.
    Cheers.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris for 18a you need a five letter word for shapens followed by the last letter of point (end of point) to give you a word of assurance, e.g. You might reassure someone you are telling the truth by putting this word at the end

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

that should read sharpens, sorry

• Chris Price
          Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Excellent you are obviously _________ to a fault. Many thanks. How did Liverpool do this week. My team – Pittsburgh Steelers – plays tomorrow. Yes a Welshman living in Oz follows the NFL
          Bed time now.
          Thanks again.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

They won last week, we are playing again this afternoon, 4pm kick off away v Bolton, still third (from the bottom!) unfortunately, didn’t realise you are Welsh Chris, where are you from?

• Chris Price
              Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Swansea – more specifically Sketty/Tycoch.
              Cheers
              Chris

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Not far from me then!

• Chris Price
                  Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Where are you?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Carmarthen

• Chris Price
                      Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

My Mum’s sister lived in Lampeter so we used to regularly go thru Carmarthen.

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Anax posted this on Facebook a week ago!

“At John Lennon Airport, Liverpool, the sign reads “Above us only sky”. Scrawled underneath: “Below us only Wolves and West Ham””

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Luckily I have a sense of humour :D, see Spurs lost yesterday Dave?? I must admit I really wanted them to beat Man U and what about that second ‘goal’ then!

• Chris Price
                      Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Left Wales 30 years ago. and moved to USA – hence Pittsburgh/NFL Used to support Swansea (All Whites – rugby) and Newcastle for soccer (mainly because that is where I went to Uni and my window looked out on St. James Park).

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

We don’t pay the bribe money to the ref. Twice he’s cheated us at Old Trafford.

I wouldn’t want to be in Nani’s boots when United play at White Hart Lane – he’ll be lucky to get home alive. But then what do you expect from the creepy little dago.

The United captain would have earned a lot more respect by saying that the goal shouldn’t’ stand – but then fairness and integrity went out of the window at United when Matt Busby retired.

• Chris Price
                    Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

That is a bit low!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

who did/do you support Chris, Swansea and Cardiff are doing really well this season, have you ever been/seen Thwe Swans new stadium I think they share it with the Ospreys, pretty smart

• Franco
                    Posted November 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Reminds me of a similar bit of Liverpudlian humour from the 60’s – I’m sure it’s well known to the oldies but well worth repeating:-

A notice board outside a church in Liverpool says – “JESUS SAVES.”

Someone writes underneath – “But St John nets the rebound!”

(A reference to Ian St John – the great Liverpool centre-forward from the 60’s)

• gnomethang
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Remind me when your hint writing debut is Mary!?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Don’t know what you’re talking about Gnomey!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

26a is an anagram of late listening ind. by ‘broadcast’ with one i.e. i in front

• gnomethang
      Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Chris:
      The first five letters are a word fir ‘sharpens’ as in a blade or a skill. Follow that with The end of poinT.
      Is that strong enough? ;)

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

your spelling is as good as mine Gnomey!

• gnomethang
          Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Yes! It’s easy to fat finger on a phone keyboard!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Oh yea, I couldn’t be doing with that, I’m bad enough texting!

• Chris Price
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you – pretty obvious now I clearly need to **** my xword skills

Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

You do indeed, don’t know if you’re allowed that comment, I’m sure BD will delete you if not ! :D

• Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

You’re right!

• Chris Price
              Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Sorry

6. gnomethang
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

7a was one favorite in many here. Slightly easier than last week with the NE hiding up the longest.
    Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD

7. mary
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Chris, everybody always says Oh yes I know Carmarthen, we used to go through there to get to etc. etc. :) Did you ever stop?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Swans new ground is called The Liberty Stadium

• Chris Price
      Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Only once :-)

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

how long you been gone?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

You ever been back or had the inclination to??

8. Nubian
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Newcastle United 5…Sunderland 1.. get in there !!!!!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I predict the same result for Liverpool! :)

Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Can’t watch last 10 mins! still no score :(

Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Yes, Maxi Rodriguez has scored! two mins to go plus injury time!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Liverpool, Liverpool, sorry folks but a win for us is so unusual these days :) off to eat my chinese now

9. mary
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Off to watch ‘the game’ now – ‘Laters’ everyone. don’t you just love to hate that expression :D

10. mary
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I’m in total agreement with everything you said Dave!!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I am confused, when did this become a football-related blog?? :D

Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Remember Sue, anything goes, well nearly! :D who do you support Sue, you never know when one of these comments will come in handy for an answer!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Sorry Mary not a football fan – No 2 son supports Man U.- I used to be more of a follower of cricket, mainly because my dad was and so that was what was mentioned at home when I was young.

• Jezza
          Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Not long until the Ashes start, Sue… perhaps it will become a cricket blog!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Pleeeeese no!

• gnomethang
            Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Bring it on!

• Jezza
              Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait! I’ll be up all night anyway, with the new arrival due 4 weeks time today, so he or her can watch with me :)

• Jezza
                Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

he or she…

• Posted November 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Good Luck with the Baby.
                  Good Luck with watching the Cricket!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius for another quality Sunday puzzle. The bottom half seemed to go in much quicker than the top, with a handful of clues taking the same amount of time as the rest of the puzzle. Not sure I like ‘wrapped around’ as a reversal in 10a.
    Favourite clue possibly 16d.

Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I found bottom half quicker too Jezza, last for me to L/H corner, half time, no score!

• tilly
        Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Good result Mary!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

13. Edi
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

was rather enjoying this xwrd. but am stuck on 6d and 10a.
    Jezza: i cant see how wrapped around fits in. help anyone please?

• Edi
      Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

just clicked. thought it was that cheese, was being a bit of the other thick. not a great weekend for me. but i do have tickets for the south wales derby on sunday. Bluebirds!

Posted October 31, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

should be good Edi who do you support?

Posted October 31, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

silly question!

14. Derek
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Solved this early this afternoon but had the family here for dinner so was fully occupied ’til now.

Very enjoyable puzzle with some good clues.

Best for me were : 7d 21a.

15. Edi
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

all done and completed not easy though. thanks to BD and virgilius

16. Geoff
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

A lost day I fear, after morning church, midday drinkies and nibbles with a neighbour (always a killer!) and Evensong to boot, not to mention, or do I mean let alone, watching out for double yellow lines on Downton Thingy. I read the hints and (most of) the comments and reckon I might as well give up now. Still a confirmed CCer then … there’s always tomorrow.

17. Michael
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

I think there can be only one possible answer for 3d. But I can’t see the reasoning behind it. Help, anyone?

Posted November 1, 2010 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Hi Michael – welcome to the blog.
      3d Outstanding poetry recital (4)
      The definition is outstanding (as a bill) and it sounds like (recital) poetry.

18. Michael
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Now I see. Thanks, Gazza. I am very “indebted” to you!