DT 26379 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26379 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Thursday, 28th October.

4a           Might Peter return after short sleep? (5,3)
A synonym for might or strength is followed by a famous Peter, who never grows up, reversed to get a short sleep

9a           Note new verses in piece of narrative music (4,4)
An anagram (new) of NOTE is followed by some verses to get a piece of narrative music

12a         In Channel Islands, get impression of event (8)
You need IN, the first two letters of the clue, followed by the abbreviation for Channel Isles and finally a four letter word for something that makes or is an impression (particularly if you bump your car!) to give you a word for an event [thanks to Mary for the explanation]

13a         Most restless but not starting to be most catty (8)
A word meaning most restless is derived by removing the initial B (not starting) from a word meaning most catty

24a         Conclude independent has alternative subordinate (8)
The definition is subordinate (lower in the pecking order): start with a verb meaning to conclude or deduce and add the abbreviation for independent and a conjunction used to introduce an alternative [thanks to Gazza for the explanation]

26a         Arty gets revised plan of action (8)
An anagram (revised) of ARTY GETS gives this plan of action

1d           Old man lying about gas (7)
The old man has a word meaning lying or prostrate around to get a flammable hydrocarbon gas used as bottled fuel

2d           Welcomed Bill and Edwin who had accepted demand (9)
The definition is welcomed or praised publicly; put the abbreviations for bill (or invoice) and Edwin around (accepted) a demand (for compensation, for example) [thanks to Gazza for the explanation]

5d           Blow hit cone (8)
A blow or breeze is followed by a word meaning to hit hard to get a light, flexible cone mounted on a mast

7d           State sun’s over abyss (7)
A verb meaning to state is followed by SUN reversed (over) to get a little-used word for an abyss

15d         Too particular about Italian city, not very English (8)
A word meaning too particular, or too fastidious as given by Chambers, is built from a synonym for about (as in they had a row about the something or other – thanks Kath) followed by an Italian city without (not) its first two letters V(ery) and E(nglish) – and it’s not Verona!

22d         Greek character revolutionary atheist is excluding (5)
This character of the Greek alphabet is an anagram (revolutionary) of ATHE(IS)T without IS (is excluding)

The Saturday Crossword Club is now open. Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments.

1. Barrie
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Too tough for a Saturday AGAIN!! Even with the hint I just don’t get 9a. I can make a word from NOTE but the second word has me totally stumped and what on earth has it got to do with Also Sprach Zarathustra!!
    Unfortunately the hints are for the easier(!) of the clues and not the more difficult such as 21a and 15d. However, of course, easier is in the mind of the beholder :-)

• toadson
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Same here Barrie – stuck on 12a and the second part of 9a!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

12a, toadson you need the first two letters of the clue followed by the abbreviation for Channel Isles and a four letter word for something that makes or is an impression, particularly if you bump your car! to give you a word for event

• toadson
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Thanks Mary, can see it now. I can get on with the very uncomfortable task of insulating the loft now. Lucky me. By the way, 7d is a new word to me too.

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Mary

Would you like to write next week’s hints?

You could do a great job.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

No thanks Dave, I struggle to do the crossword, I would really be in a panic, if it was tough!!

• FrogOne
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

You did ‘spell out’ this clue brilliantly indeed! I’m really” impressed” by the “impression one gets when bumping their car” thing! It also sounds as if coming from experience, doesn’t it??!! ;-)

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

funny frog! :)

• FrogOne
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I guess you mean ‘funny ahah” and take it as one of the best compliments ever… Thanks!! However, i’m not very quick today as I still haven’t found half of the clues!!! May bother you later and plead for help! ;-(

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

ok, no problem, here most of today :)

• Chris Price
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Mary
              Help please on last three. 16a, 24a (think I know ) and 17d.
              Cheers
              Chris

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris, for 17d, it is really funny, its an anagram i.e. ‘out’ of ‘the rain’ the definition is ‘lock keeper’ think of somethiing an old lady might wear to keep her hair tidy at night!

• Franco
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

17d – Mary, thanks for the full explanation – I missed the anagram! I was going to complain that this item of headgear doesn’t usually keep out the rain – all is revealed!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

24a, see Gazzas hint at comment 17

• Chris Price
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Got it thanks, had spent out trying to find the name of the guy who operates the looks on canals!. What was also complicating things was I had “er” not “ed” on end of 2d. Once I corrected that 16a became obvious – before then I was working on something-rival
                  I enjoyed this puzzle alot – unlike yesterdays (:-(
                  Favorite was 4d – I spotted that anagram.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

well done Chris :)

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

16a, definition is ‘satanic lady’ think of a four letter word for ‘dropped’ as when an animal drops? its hair, followed by a four letter word for wrongdoing such as it is pure ****! put the two together and you get you answer

Hope that’s not too confusing, I have been known to make things worse :)

• Chris Price
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

All done and dusted. Can go to bed happy now.
                  Thanks for your help. Cannot believe I missed the anagram in 17d
                  Cheers
                  Chris

• steph
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

i still dont see it?

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

OK Steph, you are looking for a word for ‘event’ – take the first two letters of the clue follow this with the standard abbreviation for Channel Isles then add a four letter word for impression or something you might get on your car if you bumped it, together giving you an eight letter synonym for ‘event’

• steph
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

ha got it at last – Thank you could you guide on 24a and 13a I understand the b***** bit but not much else!

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

13a Most restless but not starting to be most catty (8)
                Definition: most restless
                B + definition = most catty – the B (not starting) = definition

24a Conclude independent has alternative subordinate (8)
                conclude (5 letters) + I (abbreviation for Independent) + an alternative (2) gives a word meaning subordinate

Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I thought of you as I was solving this puzzle! For 9a – the second word is another word for verses – put it with the word you already have and then look it up in the dictionary – Chambers has it as a piece of music conveying a poetic idea or literary theme. 21a is really obvious. Think of what a group of, eg, piglets or kittens, would be called when very young. It means the same as a thing people used to be carried on. Can’t help you with 15d as I am not sure what to put in there either :)

• Barrie
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thanks Sue, got 21a just after writing the question but thanks anyway. I think I get 9a but I have never heard of whatever a ****/**** is (I assume the second word is what you would call a set of rhyming verses such as the Ancient Mariner). Is Also sprach Zarathustra a ****/**** then? Glad I am not the only one stuck on 15d which is my last clue.

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Barrie

Read the Wikipedia article on Richard Strauss

• Barrie
            Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Thanks Dave; amazing, you learn something new everyday from this Blog :-) . Got 15d at last but not all that happy with it but there we are, finished at last now I can go and do some work.

• Franco
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

15d – The Italian city forming the second half of the solution is famous for its canals (minus a few letters)

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

9a – Also Sprach Zarathustra is an example of this type of music

Ask yourself what contains a number of verses, and don’t say a hymn!

• toadson
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Got it now .. thanks Sue and BD.

2. Barrie
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Having said all that I loved 17d, very clever and made me smile.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

15d is very gettable – it was just me having a senior moment!

3. Claire
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I’d have said 15d was more 4-4 than 8 – too particular

Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Its 8 in Chambers.

• Claire
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Must get chambers one of these days……..

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Put it on your Christmas list!

It is really essential for most crosswords, especially those in the Telegraph.

4. Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I’ve added a hint for 15d

5. Claire
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Thought this would be a complete nightmare at first but Mr C & I managed all but 2 in the end! Thankfully 2 of the ones BD posted tips for – 13a (doh! – should have got that!) and 7d (never heard of it butgot it from the clue) Thanks BD!! now I can get on with clearing the kitchen in preparation for the builders. Favourite was 17d, made me smile too Barrie :-))

• Lea
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Claire – let’s hope youhave better luck with your builders than Kath did.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Definitely – still an ongoing saga – getting seriously fed -up with it now! Watch your builders Claire!!

• Claire
          Posted October 24, 2010 at 1:00 am | Permalink

Oh no – here am I getting all excited about my new kitchen and you tell me to watch my builders!!! I think I missed your saga Kath, sounds like a long and sorry story – do hope it resolves!

6. gnomethang
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this today and spent a bit more time than normal solving. Thanks to Cephas and BD (there is a Y missing in the anagram fodder at 26a but I am not at my PC to correct)

7. mary
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

As Claire, I thought I would never get this one today and putting clapping in for 10a didn’t help at all or wombat for 21a!! Eventually came together and even liked a few of the clues, loved 17d, 14d, 23a in fact liked all the s/e corner, never heard of 7d very obscure word, thanks for hints Dave :)

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

7d was new to me, but Cephas was very kind with the wordplay – other setters should take note when they clue obscure words.

• tilly
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Ditto!

8. Lea
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I agree with Barry – I liked 17d when it finally clicked. I didn’t like 15d – neither the clue nor the answer. I did like 16a and of course the 4d which helped a lot getting it first off.

Took me longer than normal – brain on go slow I think.

Thanks for the hints BD and Cephas for the puzzle

9. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Depression strikes again ! Last week I sailed through in a couple of hours and felt so smug I didn’t even bother to worry you at all.

This week is different – very, very different ! B.D.’s clues have confirmed to me that this is going to be a struggle – in those immortal words, “I may be gone some time” !!

See you all once desperation is confirmed ……………. !!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Don’t despair Pete, it is not an easy one today, I thought I would never get going on it, I have just got out of the CC after nearly 18 months!so don’t worry just enjoy :)

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement Mary, I need it today ! Still, now finished the shopping and repaired one of my “bits of wood” that someone kindly dropped during an exhibition last night so can return to this with a clearer mind ……………. no less confused, just fewer things on it !!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

What do you make out of ‘bits of wood’ Pete?

• Dinosaur Pete
            Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Sculptures, mainly based on the shapes of sails but as I get more and more bored with those shapes, so they’re drifting further towards abstract but still nice flowing curves.

Because they’re often pointed it doesn’t do them much good to be dropped point first !

P.S. why do I have to keep entering my name & e-mail, Dave?

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

There was a problem with having to re-enter details but that was supposed to have been fixed by WordPress.

The best way is to acquire a WP logon and stay logged in all the time – see the FAQ.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:53 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable crossword which took a little longer than usual due to my senior moment with 15d. Thanks to Cephas for the entertainment. Agree with BD about Mary’s hints – I may pinch her 12a wording for the review.

11. AnnB
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Some good clues for a miserable Sat Morning here in Northumberland & now for lunch & home made watercress soup to warm us up. Thanks to setter today Good CW.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

The sun has just come out here Ann, hope its heading your way too :)

12. Geoff
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Needed some of the hints and a couple of prods from Mary, but it fell into place quickly enough. Once I realised 9a wasn’t an anagram of ‘versesin’ it was easy enough. Didn’t know 7d either.
    Enjoyable enough and thanks for the helps.

Big day today, annual festival of three welsh male voice choirs in the town hall, 100 voices!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Brain on a bit of a “go slow” today so have made more heavy weather of this than I need to have done. I STILL can’t quite explain 15d – maybe my answer is wrong. I also have never heard of 9a or 7d but once the brain got into gear managed to work them out and look them up. Like Mary, I started off putting ‘clapping’ for 10a which didn’t help with anything! Made 17d more difficult than I should have by trying to think of some mythical lock-keeper – what a lovely clue. I think this is, in general, more difficult than the usual Saturday crossword, but maybe it’s just me … ! Off to do some autumn tidying in the garden – husband already out there so beginning to feel a bit guilty!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Kath 15d is a four letter word which is a synonym for about, plus the Italian city which has all the canals without the V for ‘very and the ‘e’ English :) i.e. ‘not very English’

14. flounce
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Completed with Mr Roget’s help for 9a and 7d. :)

I know the answer for 15d is right but I’m not happy with it at all – if I take the name for the Italian city out I’m left with ** (**) not **. I don’t think I’ve ever used **/ ** as a synonym for about.

Maybe I shouldn’t be looking at ‘***’ as an alternative for ‘not very English’……

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

flounce,
      For 15d you want a 4-letter synonym for about followed by a 6-letter Italian city from which the abbreviations for very and English are dropped.

• Franny
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

And yet you have that Italian city with two extraneous letters first and fourth!
        It does seem an odd clue, but since I’m a Jane Austen fan the word came to me without much thought, and then I tried to see how it fitted.

• Chris Price
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

If you remove V and E from the city with canals then you get a city in France and then stick a synonym for about in front. I was not real happy with the synonym but the end product does mean Too particular.

• flounce
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you Gazza……….

I did in fact realise while vacuuming where I was going wrong.

(Apologies for having to be edited)

15. Nubian
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

After my few days in the fair city of Edinburg with the paper version I found todays puzzle hard going. It might be all the haggis and venison and bagpipe music I have been enjoying over the last few days. Mrs N enjoyed lots of retail therapy and her stock of cashmere scarves has increased. Thanks to Big Boab for his suggestion of Stac Polly, wonderful place, as was Mary Queen’s Close.
    Thanks to Dave for the hints and Cephas for the crossword. Fav was 4d.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Glad you had a nice time Nubian, todays crossword was not an easy one, at least not for me!

• BigBoab
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Glad you enjoyed our lovely Capital Nubian, I was in Stac Pol last week, it’s very good. I think this was probably the best Saturday crossword for a long time.

16. Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I too enjoyed this puzzle but I’m late in posting a comment as I’ve been completing the crossword in 20-minute stretches throughout the morning. The house was rewired on Thursday [plasterers yesterday] and I’m still attempting to put the house back together again… I have freed up four extension cables and nine [yes nine] triple adaptors but I’m not doing any more today. That’ll do for now. Mary, I hadn’t realised that you were a Liverpool supporter as well and they, like Wales, play in red too. Is red your favourite colour?

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

It is as far as football teams go Cara…, except of course for that team from Manchester that play in red, can’ t stand them, nothing to do with them being way ahead of us at the moment of course! all that fuss about Wayne Rooney…..boring!

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Every team is way ahead of you at the moment, Mary.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

OK OK I know, but as a true supporter I will be sticking with them, at least if they do impossibly go down a division, they will be close enought o go and see the games, that is always allowing that Swansea and Cardiff don’t go up of course!

• Franco
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Not if you support West Ham United! Oh! Dear!!

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

West who?

What are the odds on all three relegated teams starting with W this season?

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

see Spurs are drawing with Everton Dave with five mins to go!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

You could be right though

• Franco
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

West Ham United

Across Clue : “Going West”

Down Clue: “Going Down”

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

who do you support Franco?

• Franco
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it obvious? The team that won the World Cup in 1966! Not England but the ‘Hammers”

Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

No?? Sorry I like West Ham, what can I say you are just keeping us off the bottom :)

• Franco
                      Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Is there an emoticon for crying?

We haven’t kicked off yet (17:30 versus Newcastle) but I think I might need a box of Kleenex!

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Try :cry: :cry:

• Franco
                      Posted October 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

:cry: West Ham 1 – 2 Newcastle :cry:

Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Aren’t there 4 teams beginning with W in the premiership Dave?

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Yes – perm any 3 from 4!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

we’ll leave WestHam out then

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

No, well never mind, onwards and upwards as they say, we live in hope etc. etc. etc. :)

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Mary, Big Dave wasn’t so smug on Wednesday night when Tottenham were 3-0 down in 14 minutes and were minus their goalkeeper too! The Liverbird will metamorphose into a phoenix…

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

You with me then Cara….?

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

If only it had been a two-leg game, with three away goals!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

but it wasn’t! Ifs and ands and all that :)

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry, Mary, I’ve been seeing how often I can sneeze [see my previous comment regarding the house being rewired] and I’m now convinced that it is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open! Yes, a Liverpool supporter since the days of St John, Yeats, Callaghan, Hunt et al.

• Claire
                Posted October 24, 2010 at 1:05 am | Permalink

If you sneeze with your eyes open they could pop out so I’m told. Scarey emoticon??

17. April
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Afternoon everyone from wet Bristol.Thanks to all for the help thus far – but can anyone help me out with 2d and 24a – I just cannot see my way through.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

2d Welcomed Bill and Edwin who had accepted demand (9)
      The definition is welcomed or praised publicly. Put the abbreviations for bill (or invoice) and Edwin around (accepted) a demand (for compensation, for example).

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

24a Conclude independent has alternative subordinate (8)
      The definition is subordinate (lower in the pecking order). Start with a verb meaning to conclude or deduce and add the abbreviation for independent and a conjunction used to introduce an alternative.

• lizwhiz1
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I got stuck on 2d.. last to go in! Its taken me 55 minutes and I spent most of that on the top left corner :x

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

More whinging from Oxford!! I am STILL lost with 15d despite all the help and hints etc in the comments. I have an answer but however I look at it I can’t make all the letters make sense – the last four letters are the Italian city famous, among other things, for canals minus V(very) and E(English) at the beginning but I don’t understand how my first four letters mean ‘about’ – must be really dim today.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Think that I’ve finally got there – the first four letters are a synonym for about as in “they had a row about the something or other”. I was thinking more of about meaning roughly or around etc etc. Sorry folks – absolutely hopeless today!! :oops:

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath, I had exactly the same problem !

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Kath it’s a synonym for about

19. Kate
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Today’s crossword does seem harder than ususal and I have had to resort to BD’s clues and the comments on the blog. I have finished all but 2d, for which I can only think of one word which would fit but I can’t understand why that would be the solution. Can anyone help? Sorry to be so dense …

• Kate
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I have just seen Gazza’s explanation and all has been revealed – thank you. My browser is obviously not updating automatically (at least I think that’s the technical explanation but my knowledge of computers and internet technology is roughly equal to my crossword level, ie about one degree above zero).

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

It does get harder and harder to keep up with all the comments – I might add a few of the extra hints to the main post.

• Chris Price
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

If the clue for 15d read “Too particular above Italian city, not very English” it would have been a lot less confusing.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

agree Chris but it wouldn’t have ‘read’ right

• Chris Price
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I know but it would have saved me an hour or so on the SW corner
              :-)
              Off to bed now – nearly midnight here.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

where?

• Chris Price
                  Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Brisbane, Australia

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Good night then, it’s a funny world you are off to bed , my brother and his family are just getting up in Alberquerque, Kate is sitting in the sun in Barcelona, Franny where are you today? and Froggy? and Libelulle? and who else isn’t putting up with this dismal day?

• Franny
                      Posted October 24, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Revisiting the site in the small hours of Monday morning. I’m in rainy Geneva.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

mine never does Kath, I have to keep using the refresh button!

• Kate
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Yes, I’m going to have to do that in future. Crossword finished, so out into the Barcelona sunshine to enjoy some tapas and a glass of wine or two.. I do love weekends!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

So would we if we lived in Barcelona! East Kent is sunny-ish but with a particularly biting wind.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

forgot you lived in the sunshine Kate, lucky you :)

• Kate
              Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Yes, we are very lucky. Barcelona is a great city and we enjoy living here, and the football team isn’t bad! I do hope everything gets back on track at Liverpool now the takeover’s happened Mary.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

we will wait and see Kath, I really don’t know what’s wrong with them!

• Dinosaur Pete
          Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

So that’s how you do it ! Now you know why I chose “Dinosaur” Pete !!

20. Mr Tub
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the hints and tips today, particularly the help with 7d. I sense that 15d hasn’t got too many fans and it’s not on my Christmas card list.

21. Franny
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Well I hardly dare say it, but I found this pretty easy today and only really got stuck on 7d, for which I’m most grateful for Big Dave’s hint. So thanks to him and the setter, and a Happy Weekend to everyone else.

Oh. Favourites were 13a and 4d. :-)

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Well done Franny, I must admit I found it tough today and agree with everyone that 15d is a confusing one, the fact that the city is in the answer and then leaves you with ‘or’ thrown in is the way most people are reading it!

22. FrogOne
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Just finished and so pleased!
    Found 13a a bit irritating indeed and liked 16a, 17d best. Have a nice day everyone!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

nice one froggy :)

• FrogOne
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary! Almost asked you for help with 8a : ‘Car crashed….’ I must admit !!! ;-) Actually, it’s a French word too…

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

You are funny today! not :)

23. carole
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Haven’t trawled through all the answers but sailed through today’s crossword until the last three and in my typical non brainy way, can’t get head around them even though I have most of the letters. 7d just defeats me – 24across and 15d (although think I’ve got this one but can’t fit it with 24a) are also non-Carole friendly!

Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Carole, have you looked at all the comments etc. above, hints for your three clues are all provided if not in Daves hints then in the comments above, ggod luck, it’s not easy today

24. Edi
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

At first glance thought this was going to be a real stinker. but i buried my head in my trusty thesaurus and struggled through. thankyou to Cephas for one of the best saturday puzzles in a while. And thankyou to BD for the hints, would never have got 7d. Favourite clue17d.

25. carole (carmalee)
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I went back and put thinking cap on again and have got them all now.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

well done carole, isn’t it strange how once you have the answers you sometimes can’t understand why you didn’t ‘see’ tem straightaway!

26. mary
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I am looking out of the window at the 4th rainbow we have had today, beautiful :) Off now to visit Ebay to see if anyone has put in a bid for our boat! back later

Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Not so far, fingers crossed!

27. Peter
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

TFD today.

9a and 15d I would never have managed without coming here.

28. Little Dave
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

By usual Saturday standards I found today’s puzzle quite a tough probably not helped by the fact that I was out with work colleagues last night and I consumed a tad too many! Anyway, after a slow start I have finished it last in being 15d – clumsy? 12a and 5d my favourite. Not tuned in today but I can only blame myself!

Thanks to Cephas.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Just got around to this late in the day. Quite a nice puzzle, with the exception of 15d (which I don’t think I have ever heard in any context before – possibly with ‘ly’ after the 4th letter)
    Thanks to Cephas, and to BD.

30. Penny and Louise
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Found this much harder than last week. Have just finished now thanks to your comments- we hated 7d, 17d and 5d which in our estimation were grubby little clues! Would be useful to have a search engine on this site as it is hard to find the posts about clues as opposed to the ones about the weather or football! Love the site though

Posted October 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Penny and Louise – welcome.

• Posted October 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I did copy the best of them into the main post!

• Franco
      Posted October 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Penny and Louise,

Could you be a little bit more precise? What is your definition of a “grubby little clue”?

Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

If you are in Internet Explorer, press Cntrl F and a little box will come up with Find next to it. Type a word or clue number into it and you will get all the matches highlighted. You will be able to see if there is the hint you are looking for, but miss out on the great joy of this blog: the weather forecasts, health updates, guides to Edinburgh, comparisons of holidays, discussions on beer and so on.

• Franco
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Sue the Review, Thanks for the (IE + press Cntrl F) tip – you learn new something every day!

The great joy of this blog is NOT knowing that some bloggers are in Barcelona and other agreeable climes – I’m green with envy!!

Posted October 24, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

thanks for that Sue, I didn’t know about it either :)

Posted October 24, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Hi Penny & Louise its all good fun as well as the most helpful, friendliest blog around as you will find out if you visit regularly, certainly cheers up a wet dismal day, oops, another comment on the weather :)

31. Al
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one and managed it in good time despite serious jet lag. The only answer I’m not totally clear on is 21a – I’m sure a Chambers definition would explain but if anyone can drop a hint I’d appreciate it. Thanks as usual to Cephas and BD.

Posted October 23, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

21a Carrier of young (6)
      Double definition. An old method of personal transport in the form of a bed or seat carried on men’s shoulders, and a group of young animals (kittens, for example) all born at the same time.

• Al
        Posted October 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Gazza – hadn’t heard of the “personal transport” meaning. Always something new to learn!

32. Gari
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Hi all,

Lovely comments today, enjoyed reading them all. Fantastic CW today I had to persevate a liitle but finished quite quickly after dinner, last in 24a.
    Don’t see the paper until after work on a Saturday as my paper shop doesn’t open until after I go to work although I get the comments on my Blackberry and can’t wait until I get home to do the CW, many thanks to Cephas and BD. :D

33. Rod Ash
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I sort of liked today’s puzzle. I only had 15 minutes this morning to start it and filled in over half very quickly. Then this afternoon I had a bit longer and filled a few gaps but was left with 15d and 24a for which I’ve now got, thanks to the contributors here. I liked 4d and 17d best this week.

34. Prolixic
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Cephas for the crossword – I found this harder than last week’s but not overly difficult. Most of the clues were straightforward enough. No particular favourites this week.

Thanks too to BD for the review.

35. Derek
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

At last after all those comments I can submit mine!
    This was a rather easy puzzle and the clues I liked best were : 13a, 15a, 21a, 25a, 1d, 4d, 5d, 7d, 15d & 18d.

Re 15d – this is a bit in red herring land!! I know that part f Europe very well.

36. Drcross
    Posted October 24, 2010 at 12:02 am | Permalink

It wasn’t too bad today after I erased a number of incorrect answers inserted by a friend who thinks he can do these better than me but puts in the wrong answers! There- what a B-13a I’m being!

37. Michael
    Posted October 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Two anagrams; one brilliant (17d) one pathetic (26a). I also like 14d.

38. Bob
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Appreciate all the help I get from this excellent site. as still new to the world of Cryptic crosswords. However still stuck on 14d. No idea at all. Please a small hint would help. Also not convinced about 25a as well.

Posted October 26, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Bob – welcome.
      14d Bring in a book of great significance (9)
      Bring in relates to goods being brought into the country from abroad.
      25a Landowners attempt to get primary info (6)
      The definition is landowners. You want a synonym for attempt and before that (primary) put an informal word for information.

• Bob
        Posted October 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Ahh see it now but cant see significance of book in the clue.
        But now messed up 13A, thought it was ITCHLESS. Sorry, sure its obvious but brains gone to sleep.

Posted October 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

14d the book is the second half of the Bible – you want A and its abbreviation.
          13a you’re on the right track but the word you have would mean “not restless” whereas what you want is a superlative meaning most restless.

39. Bob
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Got it. Too late to send it in now. Possibly better luck next Saturday. Thanks for your assistance.