ST 2547 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2547 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

It may have been me, but I found this a little more difficult than usual!  Perhaps it was because I was watching the Hungarian Grand Prix at the same time.

Peter Biddlecombe’s full review of this puzzle will be published at 12.00 on Friday, 6th August.

1a    Primate giving bishop a blessing (6)
This primate is built up from B(ishop) A and a blessing or godsend

13a    Cut off one part of rising scale (7)
My favourite today, by a long way – a word meaning to cut off is built up from I (one) and three consecutive notes of the diatonic scale

14a    Make enlargement of early photograph that’s not unappreciated, for instance (6,8)
… not unappreciated is an example of this linguistic construct

27a    Obsequious NCO standing in front of troops (6)
A word meaning obsequious comes from a senior NCO in front of a large body of troops

1d    Status of issue raised by those in unholy alliance? (8)
A cryptic definition of the status of children born to an unmarried couple

6d    Soundly understand wine, such as Bordeaux (7)
Combine a word that sounds like a synonym of to understand with a type of wine to get a town or city with a harbour for ships, like Bordeaux

22d    With key, locks a piece of furniture (5)
Combine a musical key and locks, as in tresses, to get a common piece of furniture

Sorry the hints are a bit late (again), I rebuilt my laptop last night and had forgotten how much software you need to reload.

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. Mr Tub
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

15d was my favourite today, and I’m feeling pretty 27a about having finished!

2. Cross toon Rick
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

For 13a, I had part of risING plus a word meaning to scale or assess giving a cut off person (or one) but your solution is obviously the correct one!

Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Cross toon Rick – welcome to the blog.
      Sorry for the delay in getting your first comment moderated.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m feeling pretty pleased with myself – this is only the second time that I have ever finished the Sunday cryptic. The first time was last week so I MUST be learning lots from this blog, all the hints and explanations, and all the comments. I say that I have finished this one – I have an answer for 9d but am not entirely happy with it as I can’t quite see what the last three words of the clue have got to do with it. Any help would be much appreciated. Favourite clues – 4, 14 and 17a and 6 and 19d.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Kath,
      9d Revealing lots, since strain significant (7-7)
      To see the relevance of the last three words split the answer as 3,4,7.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh – thanks. Just after I posted the question I went to take our dog for a walk and, in the middle of the walk I thought I had come up with the relevance of the last three words (I think that would be what Crypticsue would say was allowing the brain to cogitate!) – it’s totally different to yours, although I do see what you mean. My reasoning was that in ‘……. …….’ (the answer to 9d, or mine at least) a hot beverage would need to be strained first. What do you think? Suspect yours is right although I was originally quite pleased with mine!!

Posted August 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Kath,
          Good thinking! I suspect it’s not what the setter intended, but it could be. It’s a bit of a jump to get from strain to revealing things using the particular method you have in mind.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK – I give in …. !

4. gnomethang
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

14a, 13a and especially 1d were my favourites in this splendid puzzle. The excellent surface readings gave very little away which made this a good one to finish.
    Many thanks to BD and Particularly BG!

5. Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Customary high-quality Sunday cryptic, as they have mostly been for some time now. 14a probably favourite for me.

6. Kate
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

With a bit of help from dictionaries and the blog (thanks Big Davie) I have completed all but five. I have two possibles for 18d, but need 24a to be sure which is the correct solution. Any hints gratefully received.
    PS My favourite so far is 14a too.

• Kate
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry Big Dave for the name change, I’m not getting familiar, just a typo!

• Lea
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

18d is a word meaning change course and is made up of a word for failing around crossword abbreviarion for learner.

• Lea
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

24a – one switch made in train carrying old theatrical type (9).
      A switch of the end letters of train are placed around a word for old to get a theatrical type.

• Kate
        Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Lea, got it and have solved the problem of 18d too.

7. Lea
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

That one took me longer than normal but was an excellent puzzle. I did it in quarters – SE first NW second and then split between the other two with my last one going in as 8d (kept putting an “r” as the final letter – stupid). My favourites were 13a and 20d.

8. Kate
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Can anyone explain the “shot for host” part of 19d. I get the couple of animals, but am lost by the rest of the clue

• Kate
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Or looking at it again, is it just that “shot for host” explains the solution?

Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes – the solution word tells you what you need to get from shot to host!

Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

shot is an (as in answer) of host.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

It wasn’t just you who found this a little more difficult than usual. The men of the house did suggest that perhaps I had been overstretching my cryptic brain cells lately! I liked 1a, 14a and 20d.

10. Franny
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

My cryptic brain cells weren’t working too well today either, and I found this a struggle. Thanks to Big Dave and all of you for helping me finally to finish it. The clues were all very good and fair, and my favourites were 13 and 14a and 15 and 20d.

11. mary
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Struggled to do this today and with 2 left to go, I left it for the afternoon cos i couldn’t ask anyone for help the comment page seemed to be playing up, I still have those 2 to go so anyone please 10a AND 2d they are probably so obvious i will kick myself but am brain dead from looking at caravans and motorhomes all afternoon :)

• mary
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

also so many i don’t understand even though i have answers!

• mary
        Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

fav clue 20d

• mary
          Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK I missed you all this am and you’ve obviously all gone on to other things, but yeeeeeees I have finished it all by myself (with my books etc. of course) job well done :)

Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

10a Promoted one internally in firm (5)
      The definition is firm or stable. Put the letter for one inside (internally) inside a verb meaning promoted (in the sense of gave publicity to a product in order to increase its take-up)

• mary
        Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

thanks Gazza I was beginning to feel deserted but Gnomeys law worked again once I posted I could see the answers thanks anyway :)

Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

2d In last part of winter months, class beset with difficulties (9)
      Take the last three letters of the names of three months around the end of the year and inside that put a category or quality of excellence ( e.g. she was in a ______ of her own) to make a verb meaning to beset with difficulties or put in a difficult situation.

• mary
        Posted August 1, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Cheers Gazza

12. Geoff
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looks beyond me today. Have done SW corner and a few more. I’ll wait for more comments but might to cogitate for a few days!

• mary
      Posted August 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Geoff I thought that too but it is doable depends on how much time you want to spend on it i suppose, i was really thrilled to finish this one at last :)

13. Sarah F
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am keeping this, together with Sat’s puzzle and tomorrows one for when I am away this week, to save carrying a book of DT puzzles!

14. Gemini
    Posted August 2, 2010 at 3:06 am | Permalink | Reply

I didn’t like 5d at all. The answer isn’t a financial business. Whilst HCs are used in finance, they aren’t exclusively. And by their very nature, they are not ‘businesses’ as they don’t trade.

Did like 6d though….

15. Nora
    Posted August 2, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink | Reply

I really surprised myself today by flying through this in one sitting – that’s very rare. With the help of the Blog, I’ve improved so much and clues I used to gaze at endlessly are now making much more sense.

Posted August 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Catching up on the weekend puzzles, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Not a quick solve, but once I got the long anagram across the middle, the rest fell into place. Favourite clue 13a. Many thanks to setter (Virgilius?)

17. Geoff
    Posted August 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have revisited this several times and, as of this afternoon, just have the NE corner a blank, apart from 11a. If someone could give a really big hint for 4a, please, I might actually get there. And 7d, think it’s what the Israelites ate in the wilderness and if so what has it got to do with ‘married woman’?

18. Libellule
    Posted August 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Geoff,
    4a, the answer is hidden between duchess and mendaciously – definition, the type of castles you might see on a game board.
    7d. m is an abbreviation for married – now add a womans name and you have the answer you originally thought of :-)