NTSPP – 025 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 025

Solvers by Radler

+– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the twenty fifth in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week we have another themed puzzle from Radler.  Work out who the solvers are and the puzzle becomes a lot easier!

The puzzle by Radler is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 025

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. gazza
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Radler for the entertaining puzzle with a great theme.
    There are a few errors in the enumerations for some of the down clues:
    27d should be (3,4)
    28d should be (5)
    29d should be (4)
    24d (I think) should be (7) rather than (3,4)

• Radler
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Gazza.
      Yes, you’re right about the enumerations. Copy & paste error I suspect. Hopefully BD can correct soon.

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

It all went wrong when I uploaded the clues into Crossword Compiler. One got left out, and I moved the others down one by one, forgetting to change the enumeration (which doesn’t show on the Review/Edit Clues dialogue until you select an individual clue).

It should all be correct now. Please accept my apologies.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink | Reply

Am assuming that yhou are the only person who has completed this. Am still stuck on NE corner, any chance of a hint for, eg, 5d, so that hopefully I can get new inspiration. Thank youl.

• Posted August 1, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink | Reply

Sue

Don’t forget that someone test-solved this!

The morbid accumulations (pathological accumulations of fluid in tissue spaces) are found by reversing words meaning “equivalent” and “to God”

Posted August 1, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink | Reply

I was sure someone had but I was getting quite frustrated with that corner. I will take the helpful hint from both of you and try again.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink | Reply

5d the definition is morbid accumulations – it’s a medical term meaning pathological accumulations of fluid (Chambers). To get it you have to reverse (giving rise) a word meaning equivalent and the Latin for “to God”.

Posted August 1, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks both. I had the wrong solver in 12a which meant I couldn’t get anything else in that corner. Only 8d and 35a to go now.

2. Collywobbles
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Has there been a blog on the Cryptic today or have I missed it?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

You haven’t missed it. It’s still there.

• Collywobbles
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Gazza, But I have been receiving it in an e.mail recently. Has that change?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Haven’t finished this yet. Still got the NE corner to do but I highly recommend it. Never realised how many ‘solvers’ there were until today!