DT 26307 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26307- Hints

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

A full review of this puzzle will be published on Thursday, 5th August.

1a    Conservationists after ten years in decline (8)
In crosswords conservationists are usually the National Trust – put their abbreviation after a period of ten years to get a word meaning in decline

11a    Mournful linesman’s mood? (7)
A word meaning mournful could describe a poet’s mood

12a    Fully dressed American vocalist? (7)
Pause between the two syllables of the name of this American bass-baritone and it sounds like fully dressed, like a member of the House of Lords

23a    New editorial aid in bits, missing from lounge (6)
New indicates that an anagram of EDITORIAL, without the letters making up AID will give a word meaning to lounge

26a    Transfer revolutionary energy scheme (8)
A word meaning to transfer from one area to another is a charade of a Communist revolutionary, E(nergy) and a scheme, as in a cunning plan designed to turn a situation to one’s own advantage

1d    Label — cut it, do you hear? (6)
A label listing the contents of a consignment sounds like to cut, or remove, it

2d    One living with intent, say (6)
Say “with intent” out aloud and then think about who might live there

8d    Friend in few lines produced rare recantation (8)
A charade of a friend, IN and a few lines of poetry gives a rare or unusual word for a recantation

20d    Inferior not even in cast (6)
A word meaning inferior is built up by putting a synonym for not even inside to cast or throw

The Saturday Crossword Club will open at 10.00 am (after Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2). Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions before that time.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. garfield
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:50 am | Permalink | Reply

Good morning. I enjoyed todays puzzle but am stumped with 19d. Caveman in the Hebrides? Usually I would leave and return later but a weekend jaunt in the lakes beckons. I presume I’m looking for a Hebridean Island. Can anyone help?
    ………. Wow what do you know it’s true. I’ve read before that as soon as one requests help the answer just slaps you across the face and it’s done just that to me. Have a good day y’all.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:56 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi garfield – welcome to the blog.
      This is an example of what we now know as Gnomethang’s First Law.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:22 am | Permalink | Reply

Enjoy the Lakes :)

2. garfield
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ll remember that. Thanks. ‘Seeking is not the only way to find’ as someone (probably gnomethang) once said.

3. mary
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink | Reply

Morning Dave, Gazza, Gnomey, I am stuck on 19d, 20d annd 26a even with above hints!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink | Reply

Gnomethangs law just kicked in and its only 19d I am stuck on now :)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink | Reply

would I be right in thinking its part of a fish on another word for girl??? If so I really don’t understand the clue?

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink | Reply

The cave is in the Hebrides, and is best known for The Hebrides Overture by Felix Mendelssohn.

• nanaglugglug
            Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

The only one that really foxed me – surprisingly as had far too many 6d’s last night – not good for a Friday night! Lovely bit of poetry, Dave, thanks!

4. mary
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink | Reply

OK think I’ve finished if 19d is correct, a few things today I didn’t like or understand, those I didn’t like were 1d, 23a,17d those I didn’t understand though got the answers, hopefully, were 20d, 14d, 11a, my favourite clue today was 12a , a year ago I would just have been so thrilled to have finished this (and I still am) but now I find myself actually criticising some of these clues! just who do I think I am!! :)

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:08 am | Permalink | Reply

20d & 11a – read the hints again.

14d is a charade of a short(ish) distance and to strike

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink | Reply

would I be right in thinking the 5th letter in 14d is not an S?

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink | Reply

ok, never heard that word before, but then there’s lots of words I haven’t heard, my brother has a mind like a dictionary and in several different languages, I struggle in one!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:09 am | Permalink | Reply

though I don’t quite understand 11a, I think it’s a lovely word, some words just are

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Try Googling this:

The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
        The lowing herd winds slowly o’er the lea,
        The ploughman homeward plods his weary way,
        And leaves the world to darkness and to me.

Now fades the glimmering landscape on the sight,
        And all the air a solemn stillness holds,
        Save where the beetle wheels his droning flight,
        And drowsy tinklings lull the distant folds:

Save that from yonder ivy-mantled tower
        The moping owl does to the moon complain
        Of such as, wandering near her secret bower,
        Molest her ancient solitary reign.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:18 am | Permalink | Reply

That is beautiful, thank you, will do

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink | Reply

Think I remember it as ‘An ***** in a country churchyard’ , from school,
            by Thomas Gray, I see where 11a comes from, it was the ‘linesman’ bit I stupidly could not see!

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink | Reply

It was in the hint!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink | Reply

Sorry Dave, you think I’d know better by now, Just shows I got the answer without the hint :)

• Lea
          Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Thank you Dave – wonderful reading for Sat morning.

5. garfield
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:07 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Mary think of a cave made famous by Mendelssohn

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink | Reply

Garfield

If you select “REPLY” on the comment to which you are responding it keeps everything together.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Garfield I think I got it right :)

6. Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink | Reply

An enjoyable start to the morning with no real problems experienced other than 3d, because it took a long while for the penny to drop, but, in mitigation, I was watching the athletics from Barcelona at the same time.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:29 am | Permalink | Reply

Britain doing quite well in the track events Caravaggio have been watching on and off this week

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

and you have made an appearance in today’s Weekend General Knowledge puzzle too!

7. Mr Tub
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:43 am | Permalink | Reply

After making a silly mistake with 9a I had to go and sit on the naughty step and think about what I’d done, but it’s all finished now. 12d was probably my favourite today.

8. Nubian
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink | Reply

Fairly plodding sort of puzzle today but as Giovanni said yesterday, the bread and butter puzzles still have to be written for those who are not of this parish (Big Dave Crossword Blog).
    I suppose we have to accept that and praise the fact we have in personal degrees progressed to the level of being able to criticise. Pity the poor cruciverbalists who have not yet discovered this bog and don’t have that option.
    Fav 11a, 23a

• Lea
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Again I agree with you Nubian – except my only favourite was 11a. And Dave – thank you for the excerpt – that made the day.

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink | Reply

We now have bread-and-butter puzzles and Marmite® puzzles – what next?

• Lea
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

How about champagne for all those puzzles with masses of French clues??

• Collywobbles
          Posted August 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

and cricket clues

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s not very flattering to call this site a bog :D

• Lea
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

Didn’t notice that – goes to show first and last letter yield what you expect…

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

As we illustrated a few weeks back Lea

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink | Reply

No its not!

• Nubian
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink | Reply

Mea Culpa mea culpa, I was too busy concentrating on ‘cruciverbalist’
        Mea maxima culpa
        Sorry Big Dave

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink | Reply

I agree Nubian I don’t know where I’d be without it :)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink | Reply

Does cruciverbalist come from the latin for cross and the latin for word – anybody?

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink | Reply

ORIGIN: L crux cross, and verbum a word

• Nubian
          Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink | Reply

mea culpa…my own fault
          mea maxima culpa…my own most grievous fault

9. Kate
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink | Reply

Pity me then – I have discovered the blog but have so far managed to do just the north-west corner and a couple of others. Ah well, I can always go and watch the marathon through Barcelona instead.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

don’t give up Kath it is doable for us CCers and you can always ask for help

10. Peter
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink | Reply

Well I have done eight answers AFTER taking the hints into account.

11. Kate
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Peter, I’ve managed two more than you, so it’s pretty dismal really. I am consoling myself with the excuse that I haven’t got my crossword head on.

12. Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Peter / Kate

I try to do hints for he first and last across and down clues and any others that, in my opinion, may prove troublesome. Feel free to ask for any ones you think I may have missed.

• Kate
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Dave. A hint for 12D would be good – it probably is very obvious but I can’t think where to start.

• Digby
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Kate, Please allow me – Big D might have slipped away to put the kettle on. The answer is a synonym for deplorable, made up of a 6 letter word for grief, followed by the sort of board that you sit down at to eat.

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Digby – you were exactly right! The Hungarian Grand Prix practice could distract me as well!

• Kate
          Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Digby, got it. I think I need to do one of those lateral thinking courses. I was equating “on board” with a nautical theme, obviously. Enjoy the GP pratice BD

• Peter
            Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks

I had IMPINGED fort 24a which was a problem

• Kate
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hurrah -a quick (and cheaty) check on Crossword Solver gave me 3d and 8d. I must say I have never heard of either of them. That means that the others have fallen into place and I now have the top half done, so a few in the bottom to get now. Gnomethang’s Law does work!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Isn’t it great Gnomey has a crossword law named after him :)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Without wishing to show off, it was me who named that law, as I email him quite a lot daily with questions such as Am I being thick not getting 24d or whatever, and as soon as you press send, bingo you know the answer. Enjoyed this puzzle today, I found it slightly trickier than bread and butter, possibly bread and butter with runny home made jam!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Sue, yes I do seem to remember you starting it off not too long ago :)

• gnomethang
                Posted July 31, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

True, Sue, true!

13. Pete
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thoroughly enjoyed this puzzle, I thought it bread and butter with honey! I am continuing to be educated though, 11a another new word for me.

14. Peter
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Right I need help here.

Any hints for 14d, please?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

14d Trek short distance and strike (8)
      The definition is trek. It’s a short distance (more than an inch but less than a yard) in front of a verb to strike in the way a tailend batsman might.

• Libellule
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looks like we are doing it again :-)

• Collywobbles
        Posted August 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

I like cricket clues, and French ones

• Libellule
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

The defintion is trek. Its a measurement of 12 inches, followed by a cricket stroke usually played to cow corner.

• Peter
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

thanks both

I’ll try the SW corner now.

15. KDINNY
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

For 22a – am pretty sure I have the correct answer – can see the small lake element for the first four letters – but the last three letters/their relevance to somehow being “…in the mountains” has me stumped.
    Please put me out of my misery.
    Thanks – and congrats re the wedding of the year.
    KDINNY.

• Peter
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

it comes from LIKE a small lake.

I think this crossword is poor-ish

• KDINNY
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks. Got it now – although I agree with you about today’s puzzle being somewhat poor-ish.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

22a Go dull like a small lake in the mountains (7)
      The definition is go dull. It’s an adjective which, if it existed, would mean like a small lake in the mountains. I think that this clue could do with a question mark.

• KDINNY
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks gazza. Question mark would surely have helped!

16. Peter
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

23a I think is a word meaning hang to around on street corners – with intent (shades of 2d). If I’m right I don’t understand the clue!

17d – I see a word meaning having had quite enough. But I really don’t understand the reference to consumer goods.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

23a see BD’s hint.
      17d Having had quite enough of consumer goods? (7)
      In other words having consumed enough.

• Peter
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

sorry missed that on 23a.

thanks for explaining consumption.

I am stuck on:

9a

26a

3d

6d

7d

any help gratefully received

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

3d is in ‘product I left’ ind by ‘some’ – for a word to mean yielding

• Peter
            Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

crumbs. I was looking for an anagram of yielding minus i.

thanks.

• Peter
              Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

and I see 9a – yawn!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

6d is the type of plant Basil is inside set

• Peter
              Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

oh I see.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

7d anagram of leg pains indicated by suffering to give you a word meaning slipping away as in time?

• Peter
                Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks. I did not spot the anagrind.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

26a see BD hint above don’t know that i can think of anything to add to that
                Revolutionary as in colour for communist
                Next E for energy
                Next a four letter word for shceme
                You are looking for a word for transfer not as in paper patterns etc. to transfer from one place to another
                Hope those have helped ? :)

• Peter
                  Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

yes, thanks. I did not understand BD’s hint above.

Was also trying to work CHE into it until I did 12d.

Well I’ve finished. With a lot of help. Thanks all.

Is the normal Saturday compiler on holiday?

17. Franny
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Well, I’ve finished now except for 3d, for which I have alternate letters and no idea. The last two I managed to find with your help, but never heard of 14d (where is the cow corner?) and don’t understand what’s unscrupulous about 25a.

Apart from that, I quite liked the puzzle, appreciated the hints and enjoyed reading everyone’s contributions. Now, ‘bon dimanche’ as they say here. :-)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Franny see just above for 3d, its not a word i’d heard of but it is included in those words

• Franny
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Don’t mind me — I never could spell 11a, let alone notice when a word is contained in the clue. That’s why I’m Clueless, I suppose. But thanks, Mary. :-)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

As before lots of nice people in the Clueless Club – Bon Dimanche :)

• Libellule
            Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

But today is Saturday?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

we were getting ready for tomorrow Libelulle mais bon Samedi :)

• Franny
              Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, but around here they start saying ‘Bon Dimanche’ almost first thing on Saturday. A funny lot, the Swiss! :-)

• Peter
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

cow corner is part of the cricket field, where the ball goes if a cow shot connects.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

what is a cow shot????

• Libellule
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mary,
        This may help.
        Cow corner
        the area of the field (roughly) between deep mid-wicket and wide long-on. So called because few ‘legitimate’ shots are aimed to this part of the field, so fielders are rarely placed there – leading to the concept that cows could happily graze in that area.
        Cow shot
        a hard shot, usually in the air, across the line of a full-pitched ball, aiming to hit the ball over the boundary at cow corner, with very little regard to proper technique. Very powerful and a good way of hitting boundary sixes, but must be timed perfectly to avoid being bowled, or either skying the ball or getting a leading edge and so being caught.

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mmmmm thanks Libelulle just going to read that again very slowly!

• Collywobbles
          Posted August 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice one Libelulle

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s a cricket term

18. Beangrinder
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

22a never heard of this word for lake but google explained why….Scottish hillwalkers like me call it a corrie loch or lochan! Could also be why 19d jumped out right away.

• Peter
      Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

very much a Lake District word I think.

19. Peter
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

26a?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

just written it above :)

Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

You OK now Peter

• peter
          Posted July 31, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes thanks Mary

20. gnomethang
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Had to work today so was a bit late. I certainly found this one trickier than usual but thought it a good and fair challenge.
    Thanks to the setter and also to BD for the hints

21. Geoff
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I did all the easy ones (for me) this morning, including 19d – obvious, I’m a musician! Am finishing now and have big gaps in the SW corner. Libellule and CCWizard provided 14d, as can’t spell cricket. Thanks to several others for helpful comments.

Help needed with 16a, please, then I might be able to fill in the rest, or will I see it as soon as I press ‘send’ ??

Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

16a Commands inclusion of rows with regularity (11)
      The definition is regularity or method. It’s a verb meaning commands around (inclusion of) a synonym of rows.

• Geoff
        Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks, couldn’t get past ‘tiers’! And no, it didn’t come to me.

• gnomethang
          Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Took me a while to get away from ‘ties’ as well Geoff. Think of tows as in ranks.

22. Geoff
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, thought that would do it. All done now, perhaps a little trickier, but quite enjoyable. Different strokes and all that, with 3d one of my easy ones this morning, but 22a was far and away my favourite – still chuckling about it now!

Thanks for a good puzzle, good hints from BD and helpful comments from various others, with just a little ‘research’ here and there!

23. Geoff
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Couldn’t help recalling, re 17d, an All Creatures Great and Small episode fro years ago, where a travelling rep was being fed and refused second helpings, saying that he had ‘enjoyed an elegant sufficiency’. What a lovely phrase!

Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

well done Geoff goodnight all :)

24. Al
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 7:39 am | Permalink | Reply

Big Dave – thanks so much for a great blog. Have used it many times – but this is my first post. Being driven to distraction by 25a and am not convinced that I’ve got 15a correct – any hints?

Posted August 1, 2010 at 8:17 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Al – welcome to the blog.

25a Spring uncrupulous person mentioned (6)
      The answer is a hot spring which gushes and emits a jet of hot water intermittently. It sounds like (mentioned) an unscrupulous person (but this word is normally used to describe an old guy).
      There’s no 15a – do you mean 15d?

• Al
        Posted August 1, 2010 at 8:33 am | Permalink | Reply

Thank you Gazza – that’s what I thought it might be. I must have 15d correct but not 17d. Strange because the clue fits – perhaps a different spelling.

25. Al
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 8:43 am | Permalink | Reply

Ah yes! No sooner posted than realised my spelling mistake of 17d. Think I was too focussed on “consumer”! Thanks for your help. Happy Sunday all.