ST 2546 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2546 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Another excellent puzzle from Virgilius – enjoy!

Peter Biddlecombe’s full review of this puzzle will be published at 12.00 on Friday, 30th July.

1a    Unusual quality seen in all today’s answers (7)
Very clever! All of the answers are either 5, 7 or 9 letters long – what quality does this demonstrate?

12a    Part of flight in helicopter is erratic (5)
… part of a flight of stairs!

13a    Race that goes to American’s head (5)
A famous horse race that is also a bowler hat in America (pronounced badly in typical American fashion!)

23a    Craft encountered rescue ship carrying bird back (9)
… the rescue ship was captained by Noah!

28a    Issue for year, filled with information (7)
Issue here refers to offspring – take a word meaning for or in favour of and the abbreviation for Y(ear) and fill the gap between them with a short synonym for information

1d    Asked for whisky, for example, neat (7)
A double definition – asked for a drink (whisky, for example) and neat and tidy

2d    Person who locates liquid assets, more capital (7)
… the liquid assets are located underground

4d    Author, nevertheless, seen in street before noon (9)
The author of such classics as Treasure Island and Kidnapped is built up from a two word phrase (4,2) meaning nevertheless being sandwiched between ST(reet) and N(oon) – I hadn’t until today realised that he was only 44 when he died in Samoa

24d    Line in essay in foreign language (5)
Doesn’t look at first like a charade, but it is! – L(ine) IN and an essay or attempt combine to give a general word for a foreign language

Sorry the hints are a bit late, but I was watching one of the two Spanish cheats that have been “victorious” today.

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. Barrie
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Ugh what a nasty puzzle, far too difficult for a pleasant Sunday stroll.

• Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Well I enjoyed it!

• Nora
      Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I liked it too. It took a while to get going but I took a break and when I resumed, pennies started dropping as they often do when you come back with a fresh head on! Maybe it was Senor Nora’s beetroot soup that kickstarted the old brain cells.

2. Mr Tub
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find that too tricky at all: it was a proper ‘day of rest’ crossword. The only downside was that because I finished it so early Mrs Tub said I had to go out with her for a walk.

11a, 13a, 26a and 14d were my favourites.

• Nora
      Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Could you not have sighed over the crossword a bit, and pretended you were struggling with a few clues?

1a was my favourite.

• Mr Tub
        Posted July 25, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’ll try that next time. The trouble is she saw me doing my victory dance when 25a went in and it gave the game away.

3. Lea
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

When I first read throught his I thought – uh oh but went and had a cuppa and worked corner by corner and lo and behold it was done. There were several I liked – 1a, 7d and for the picture it makes 21d.

• mary
      Posted July 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I agree Lea It was a kind of ‘corner’ by ‘corner’ puzzle – just who are you thinking of in 21d?!

4. gnomethang
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

*sigh*
    I struggled on this and enjoyed every minute, eventually.
    Not too sure on the palindrome (I assume) on 22a.
    That OK Nora?!
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD for the notes.

5. mary
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

A puzzle worthy of a toughie for me but finished it in fits and starts, with a little help from Dave on 1a, although i had the answer right, i couldn’t see why! 4 or 5 new words in this for me today but i thought nearly all the clues could be worked out with a bit of effort, would you believe it is actually hot and sunny here this afternoon, quite a shock after almost 4 weeks of rain :) fav clues 4d, 10a

Posted July 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed it a lot too. It wasn’t the easiest Sunday puzzle – took me three times as long as usual – which is still probably quite quick,but I didn’t need to cogitate. I liked the fact that it needed a lot of lateral thinking and making sure of the right word – eg I originally had moment as the short time in 15a which didn’t help. I liked 22a, and 23a and lots of others too. Thanks to Virgilius for the puzzle and BD for the notes.

• gnomethang
      Posted July 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks for 22a, crypticsue!

7. Nubian
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this greatly. Some answers were arrived at almost arithmetically. 23a and 28a.
    Fav was 11a and 25a

8. Sarah F
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Just having first look at it—a long way to go but no rush—probably have to return to it several times over the week, and enjoy it that way.

9. mary
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

why is it do you think that Saturday puzzles attract so many comments and Sundays so few?

• Posted July 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

The Sunday puzzle attracts a lot less interest – only a bit more than the Toughies. Not as many people buy the Sunday Telegraph, and they don’t know what they are missing!

10. Digby
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed it, and I don’t usually get to do the Sunday puzzle, so I’ll try harder in future. I’d love to see a hose race, but I think you mean the 4-legged variety Dave (13a). Probably still recovering from the wedding?

• Posted July 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for pointing that out – now sorted!

11. Prolixic
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Fantastic fun from Virgilius. Many thanks to him for the crossword. Too many top notch clues to select favourites.