NTSPP – 023 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 023

A Puzzle by Prolixic

+– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the twenty third in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week we have another puzzle from Prolific Prolixic.

The puzzle by Prolixic is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 023

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. gazza
    Posted July 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Prolixic for another very entertaining puzzle. I didn’t help myself by putting in “ignores” for 22d (possibly the easiest clue!) thus creating a real mess in one corner.
    Favourite clue: 7d
    I was a little puzzled by 5d – I think the SA (Sturmabteilung) were normally regarded as the stormtroopers rather than the SS.

2. Posted July 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

I enjoyed this too, although I must qualify that by revealing that I solved the earlier version. Lots of good stuff in here – I really enjoyed the witty take on 7d so I’m with Gazza on that one.

The only doubts I had were 12a which appears to miss O from the wordplay, but I sense I may be missing something (rather than the clue), and 25a where I initially thought Prolixic had made a fairly common setter error in thinking of CR as “about”; took me a while to separate it to C and R (take). Nice bit of deception!

To be absolutely honest I didn’t notice the faux pas of repeated elements of two answers, even though they cross-checked, and I think the puzzle would have held up equally well without the change. Indeed – and funnily enough – those two answers were quite difficult to spot and it’s only now (having seen why the amendment was made) that I can kick myself for not having used one answer to help with the other; in a way this sort of “error” can actually be a plus point.

• Prolixic
      Posted July 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Anax,

In respect of 12a, “on” is not a link word! Glad that you spotted 25a – Fortunately when BD raised the same issue, I had kept notes on the grid explaining the wordplay – otherwise I would have been sweating on that one!

Had a comment not been made about a repeated word in one of this week’s Toughies, I would have let the puzzle stand. However, given the “history”, I thought it prudent to make the last minute changes when BD pointed out the problem yesterday evening. Fortunately, the grid could be amended without too much disruption, though 20a was a little tricky to fill!

Posted July 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

I really enjoyed solving this. Some very good clues – lots to make me smile including 7d and 18d for the eureka moment when I finally got it! My favourite clue however is 3d which made me think and also learn a new definition of the solution word. Thanks to Prolixic for a lovely Saturday diversion.

4. Posted July 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very good indeed. An enjoyable solve, which took me about **mins, much of which was spent on the SE quarter. Last to go in was 21d. Clues I particularly appreciated were 18d and 13a……

5. Radler
    Posted July 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Prolixic for another enjoyable puzzle. Although I don’t often like cryptic definitions, my favourites were 7d and 18d