NTSPP – 020 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 020

A Puzzle by Anax

+– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the twentieth in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week Anax has provided a difficult puzzle with a hidden theme.

The puzzle by Anax is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 020

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle.

1. Prolixic
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Strewth. I think I have got there but there are still three or four clues where the wordplay eludes me. This is a tricky crossword with some brilliant clues and some less than brilliant words (though Anax did give us fair warning in the introduction that there were a lot of obscure words. Many thanks to Anax for the crossword. When I have spotted the theme I will probably kick myself but my brain is now in shutdown mode after solving the clues!

• Posted June 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I know what the theme is, and I still can’t see it!

1 across – the key is to split it (1,2,3).

2. gazza
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Even though I spotted the hint in 1d, I’d still finished the puzzle before I actually saw what the theme was. Brilliantly done – thanks to Anax for a very entertaining puzzle (and I still can’t understand the wordplay for 1a).

• Posted June 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I gave it away in my answer to Prolixic.

Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Doh! Thanks.

3. tilly
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

All i can say is 9a!! Wow, that was a real journey. Although I have finished, I am still not sure how some of the answers are worked out. Thanks, Anax.

4. tilly
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Oh! just worked out the theme – very clever. Obvious when you know how …

5. Posted June 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I finished it online having left my paper at work although I had to sneak a few letters in at the end – close to bedtime and I was feeling beaten!. Some great stuff in there. I am still clueless as to the theme but will need to reproduce the grid as I have not taken a screen dump of the solution.
    I actually got 1a straight off and the NW was fine – the others were a bit fiendish though!
    Thanks for the puzzle Anax!