ScrewedUp News – Jun 10

ScrewedUp News – Jun 10

Edition 25

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Today the CluedUp site was ported to a different server.  Unfortunately, as Gazza reports elsewhere, it seems to be powered by a Sinclair ZX-80.

I will be out for the rest of the morning, so today’s blogs may be a bit late.  In anticipation of problems, we have secured, courtesy of Phil McNeill, copies of the two puzzles, together with the Quick crossword.

Toughie 369

1. Posted June 10, 2010 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Strange that – it was fine at 5a.m. UK time.
    I have just dive in now and gor two prints and also opened the online play option in about 60 seconds. The only thing that I noticed was that it told me I started playing 4h 40 minutes ago (which was about the time I first got my print outs!.

Happy days and looking forward to the reviews (particularly for the Toughie on which I am struggling at 50%.

• Posted June 10, 2010 at 10:02 am | Permalink

The clock always starts running when you print out a puzzle.

I thought today’s Toughie was one of MynoT’s easier ones – horses for courses!

• Posted June 10, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Thanks BD – I didnt know that but it makes sense!

Ah! Mynot! That explains my travails!. Wonder if BigBoab is having the same issues!

2. Fallingstarr
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I finished the cryptic but it says on the puzzle page that it has not been played. I also didn’t get any points for it. I have just done a suduko and the same has happened. Anyone else having this problem?

3. Posted June 10, 2010 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Worked fine for me at about 10.45 BST. I hadn’t logged out yesterday (as advised) and was still logged in this morning. That was for the interactive Cryptic only so far….

Posted June 10, 2010 at 11:21 am | Permalink

It seems to be ok now. I sent an email of complaint this morning and got a reply saying that it was working fine, but (spookily) the site burst into life just before their reply arrived.

4. Fallingstarr
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Nup – not working for me still. Just did the quick crossword. No points, says is hasn’t been played and doesn’t appear under submitted puzzles on My Accounts Page. I have sent an e mail but won’t hold my breath waiting for a reply.

5. Nubian
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Cluedup worked fine for me this morning in France, mybe it’s a UK prob.
    The puzzle was very enjoyable too.
    Fav clue was 2d

6. PJ
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Downloaded without problems in Germany. Excellent puzzle. Looking forward to seeing if my solutions for 14a and 23d were correct.

7. Posted June 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I have tried many times and still can’t get either puzzle to load.

• Posted June 10, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

But when I tried IE8 instead of Firefox, it worked first time. Typical of poor testing using only one browser, especially such a quirky one as IE.

8. Fallingstarr
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Did a quick puzzle using Internet Explorer and it submitted and I got my points. I did another on Google Chrome which I normally use and hey presto……………..No points and puzzle not submitted. Do you reckon this problem might be rectified? As I don’t like using IE.

9. Posted June 11, 2010 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Just a quickie re:Toughie 370 – the two combinations 2/13 and 19/17 only show (7) and (8) respectively while both words are 7 and 8 – is this deliberate or an error on Clued Up?

• Posted June 11, 2010 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Got all the numbers wrong anyway – i am assuming should be (8,8) and (7,8)

• Posted June 11, 2010 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Im thick sometimes!!!!

• Prolixic
          Posted June 11, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

2/13 is (8,2,6) and 19/17 is (7,8)

• Prolixic
            Posted June 11, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

And having looked at the enumeration, I have just got 2/13 and am still sniggering. A clue that is certainly 8d.

• Posted June 11, 2010 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Thanks – I was just dense – the second part of the enumeration is, strangely enough, on the second part of the clue!. I would have got 2/13 earlier I think – and it certainly was 8d. COD for me though was 1a. Excellent lift and separate!.

10. Phil McNeill
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Dave, are you still having the problem with loading? We heard from one other subscriber who had a similar problem, which the helpdesk was able to resolve quickly. So please contact the helpdesk if it is ongoing. Thanks. Phil

• Posted June 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Phil

Yesterday was a disaster until I tries using IE8. I have now set the site to run in an IE tab within Firefox and it’s OK. I just checked in “raw” Firefox and it now appears to be working (and then I tried again and it wasn’t!).

If anyone is interested, the following Firefox add-on runs within Firefox so you don’t have to switch browsers. It also supports Adblock Plus.

11. Maagran
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Still a problem with me. Always crashes in Google Chrome 5.0.375.70, although works fine in Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18928
    I emailed the helpdesk who asked me to send all my O/S details etc to an e-mail address that my ISP advised was non existent. I despair

• Maagran
      Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Glad to say that with the assistance of the helpline I eventually solved this one. In Chrome I went to tools /Options/ Privacy/ Clear Browsing Data…../Empty the Cache/Last Week

• Posted June 17, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks – that could prove useful. I switched to an IE window inside FF, but tried native FF successfully yesterday.