ST 2535 – Hints

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2535 – Hints

Hints and tips by Big Dave

I really enjoyed yesterday, and it was great to meet three cyberfriends for the first time.  I have a few pictures to put up on the blog soon (unless the people concerned send money in a plain brown envelope!).

A few hints to get you started.

Peter Biddlecombe’s full review of this puzzle will be published at 12.00 on Friday, 14th May.

1a    Make intelligible point , after censure (7)
To make intelligible, in the sense of to unscramble a code, is a charade of a two-letter abbreviation for a point after a word meaning to censure or disparage

5a    Error that’s dangerous on flight (7)
… of stairs

11a    Monies distributed, including record coinage (9)
Put an anagram (distributed) of MONIES around a record or journal to get a word meaning coinage, in the sense of a new word

28a    In a suit, oddly, in African country (7)
An anagram (oddly) of IN A SUIT gives this North African country

1    Diabolical arrest shortly after protest (7)
A synonym for diabolical is built up from a colloquial term for an arrest without its last letter (shortly) after the kind of protest that might be attended by 9 across

6    E.g. bloody weapon hidden in clothes? Just the opposite (5-4)
Clever surface reading can send you off in the wrong direction here – bloody is an example (e.g.) of this, as are many other words I can’t use here! – then you have to reverse the wordplay (just the opposite) and, instead of putting a weapon inside clothes, put clothes inside a weapon

7    One vehicle or another heading North on peak (7)
To get this farm vehicle put a horse-drawn vehicle reversed (heading North, a down-clue only construct) before (on, again a down-clue construct) a mountain peak

18    Be in supervisory role, as bishop is (7)
A bishop supervises a diocese – which in Crosswordland is a three-letter word

24    Stop working for nobleman (5)
A charade of to stop, as in to block, and a synonym for working gives this nobleman

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. yoshik
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

An excellent puzzle with some testing clues.

The enjoyment level was high as the mixture of clues allowed for various approaches to thinking.

As of late the standard on a Sunday is solid.

2. gnomethang
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

lovely to meet you and all the others yesterday, Dave.
    Another excellent puzzle today from Virgilius. There are some thoroughly misleading wordplay and definitions which made this hard but scrupulously fair.
    6d, 11a and 12a were among many favourites.
    My thanks to BD and BG.

3. mark
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Dave – thanks for the hints – helped me with a few, although I was doing pretty well already.

4. nanaglugglug
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ploughed through this one and finally finished it with a little help from our friends on 6d. Did enjoy it though and think it may have more to do with an addled brain than the puzzle! Excellent challenge!

Anyway, great to hear you had a good time yesterday -one of these days, who knows, we may even make it!

5. Prolixic
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another brilliant puzzle abounding with niceness. Many thanks to Virgilius for the crossword.

Can’t possibly think what BD means about money in brown paper envelopes. ;)

6. Nora
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

I needed the hint for 6d – one of those ‘kick myself’ moments when I saw what a great clue it was. That sorted out north-east and brought my Sunday afternoon to a happy conclusion.

7. Geoff
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

Phew, finally got there, after struggling with 4 in the SE corner! 20d was one of the 4 and I only got that after giving up the conviction it began with MO. As usual, I look forward to PB’s review, to explain the constructs that baffle me – and there are quite a few.

This one involved some blood, sweat, tears and red wine, but was most enjoyable. Thanks to setter and BD.

8. Posted May 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another excellent Sunday Cryptic. I see the answer to 17a gets yet another airing with the space of a few days.

9. mark
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Struggling with 19a. I am thinking that it is the singular of a word that’s more often used in the plural meaning information and therefore “fact”. Am I barking mad?
    mark

Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

You’re correct.

• mark
        Posted May 10, 2010 at 7:11 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Gazza!

10. Nigel
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry to be a bit negative here. But despite the help I can’t decipher most of the clues,even those that Dave has given help on. Past record is finished every Sunday Telegraph puzzle for the last six months or so.
    Whats wrong with me?
    N

Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Nigel – welcome to the blog.
      It happens! Is there a clue that you’re having special problems with?

• Nigel
      Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

errrrrrrrr quite a few. Very unusual……..Managed 10 clues only. Damn…… can’t understand why. I’ll look at it tomorrow and see if it clicks.

Nigel

11. gnomethang
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nothing wrong with you. This ( and the last few Sundays) have not been easy.
    The setter spears to be on the top of his game!

• gnomethang
      Posted May 9, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Appears! Not Brittney!

• Jezza
        Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:59 am | Permalink | Reply

… I don’t know… Toughie 351 by Britney has a nice ring to it !! :)

12. Theunisse
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Completely stuck with 16d & 20d. All done bar these two. Toughie though today.

Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Theunisse – welcome to the blog.
      16d Doctor settled if check needed in operating area (5,4)
      It’s an anagram (doctor) of SETTLED IF to make a type of check on how something is operating.

Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

20d. Moves with pained expressions after short time (7)
      The definition is moves (in an emotional way). Put expressions of pain after an abbreviation of Time.

13. Claire
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Finally got there but needed all the help I could get so thanks BD, Mark, Gazza etc for pointing me in the right direction – definitely a toughie for me but particularly liked 23a, 6d, 18d :-)

• mark
      Posted May 10, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Flattered to be mentioned alongside BD and Gazza. [blush]
      Thanks Claire!

14. Claire
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh, and 6d!

15. Derek
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

ST 2535 was very enjoyable – a shade harder than usual.
    The very best clues for me were 11a & 6d.
    I also liked 17d, 21d & 23d. 5a, 12a & 15a.

16. Judith
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable but still stuck on two., 19a and 21d. Any clues please.

Posted May 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Judith – welcome to the blog.
      19a Cause current stoppage without union, in fact (5)
      You want a verb meaning to stop up a stretch of water (current) and inside put the abbreviation for Trades Union, to get a piece of information (fact), which is normally seen in the plural.

Posted May 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

21d. Famous singer to perform in unexpected benefit (7)
      The answer is a singer and actress. Put a verb meaning to perform inside a benefit which is normally seen in the phrase “***** from heaven”.

17. R1kx
    Posted May 13, 2010 at 10:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Last one and I am rushing to catch the post 23 across any pointers ?

• Posted May 13, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink | Reply

23a Conservative has to keep secret before spring (9)

The definition is conservative, and it’s a charade of to keep secret or conceal and a spring or leap

• R1kx
        Posted May 13, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

For some crazy unknown reason I had decided the answer was two words 3-6 god knows why I have had the answer for ages written down but ignored it doh!!!!!!