DT 26193 – Hints

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26193 – Hints

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a few of the better clues and provide hints for them. A full review of this puzzle will be published on Thursday, 25th March.

1a    Blue waste material about to be returned to tall building (10)
A charade of something blue, some waste material found in a yard, and Crosswordland’s abbreviation for about, the last part being reversed, gives a tall building

10a    Cultivate land, distant meadow first (4)
A verb meaning to cultivate land is a charade of a synonym for distant and the first letter of Meadow

18a    From 10 across, foie gras or soft cheese (7,5)
An anagram, indicated rather weakly by from, of the answer to 10a together with FOIE GRAS gives this soft cheese – very close to being the dreaded indirect anagram (an anagram where part or all of the fodder is not directly contained in the clue)

27a    Spring put in a good position (4-6)
Another charade – this time of a spring, as in a water source, and a word meaning put gives a synonym for “n a good position”

1d    Wild one of magi protected Virginia (6)
An adjective meaning wild is derived by putting a wise man (magus) around the abbreviation for the US State of Virginia (all of these abbreviations can be found in The Mine)

8d    Frenzied evil spirit has the first clue (8)
… and the first clue today is 1 ac(ross)

14d    Claret’s served in enemy living quarters (10)
… on a ship

23d    Old friend’s a gem (4)
Our final charade – an abbreviation of old is combined with a friend to get this gem – one might say that the clue is also an old friend!

The Saturday Crossword Club will open at 10.00 am (after Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2). Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions before that time.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink

It looks as though I’m in pole position today! I found this puzzle testing but I particularly enjoyed 24a – I think that there was a little subterfuge with the word ‘bit’ – and 8d. Mary and the Minx will no doubt join me in expecting Wales to score a few tries against Italy, who have declined to have the roof shut…

2. mary
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Thought maybe i was going to get a day out from CC today but after speeding along have come to a halt with 7 clues left and am afraid i will have to us ref books cos i don’t know that silly cheese :) yes , hopefully Wales will get a few today roof open or not, we are becoming real softies wanting it closed all the time!!

• mary
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink

stupid me deserve to still be in CC reading 18a as 8 & 4 – duh!

• Barrie
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

HORRAY!!! I have finished one at last. After the last 2 weeks I was beginning to lose all hope and thought Alzheimers was kicking in. For me the best puzzle for a very long time, esp loved 24a (dead clever I thought) and 9a although there were some other clever clues as well. Well done to the compiler for giving us in the CC some encouragement. :-)

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink

It’s a momentous day when you and I agree on the quality of a puzzle Barrie!

• Barrie
          Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

There we are, it had to happen one day -)
          By the way, thx for all the hard work you and the others put into this blog, I really do appreciate even it I am a miserable old git at times!

• Nora
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Mary, that soft cheese is French, if that helps.

3. Mark
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Made quite a good start, but now I am a bit stuck. Thanks for the hints (I have now got 18a). Some of the hints still failed to enlighten me!!
    I liked 15a.
    mark

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:35 am | Permalink

One or two of the hints are a gentle nudge in the right direction!

• Mark
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Yes, thanks Dave. I’ve read through the comments and got a bit further!
        mark

4. Claire
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Good luck CCs – a manageable one for us today I think, though quite challenging. Liked 9a particularly for it’s sound play (if you imagine an s) or is that just my weird mind? I also like 24a Carravaggio – and 7d & 14d. We’ll be rooting for England (somewhat hopelessly I feel but you never know!)

5. Chablisdiamond
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Fairly easy I thought, having said that, I’m not sure I’ve got 24a right. Obviously I can’t say what I’ve put but a few confirming hints would be useful…. Please :)

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

If you put the missing BIT in front of your answer, you should get another bird!

• Chablisdiamond
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

OMG! What a ‘Make officer’. It came to me as i was in the shower. Wish I hadn’t posted…… :(

• Nora
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Chablis
      I got this wrong at first. I put teal, thinking that ‘another’ might be ‘alter’ as in ‘alter ego’, without the ‘r’ (bit missing). However, the bird is not a duck. The correct bird is a small seabird, and the answer comes from taking the first and last letters off its Latin name.

6. mary
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

so annoyed would have had a day out fron CC today but for two clues i needed to reference! my best effort ever without using books, machines etc. don’t really know why 8d would have 1a!? or if 17d is correct why it is this? anyway well done Barrie, and good luck rest of CC if you get out for a day today, maybe see you tomorrow :)

• mary
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

dunce again – see 8d now :(

• sarumite
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hi mary … for the answer to 8d you need to read 1a as 1 ac :smile:

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:58 am | Permalink

8d Frenzied evil spirit has the first clue (8)
      Look at the last three letters!

17d Officer’s material not English (8)
      Put E(nglish) into your answer and you get a word meaning material, as in physical

• mary
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

thanks Dave, obviously in right place in CC :) thanks Sarumite

• Prolixic
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:00 am | Permalink

You remove the letter E (not Engilsh) from a word meaning material (as opposed to a ghost which may be non material) to get an “officer” – though in the Army they would be an NCO (I believe)!

• mary
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

thanks for taking time Prolixic, thought you would have been busy on COW today :)

• Charlie
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Rank used here has nothing to do with an officer! Confusing for a while.

• sarumite
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:01 am | Permalink

For 17d the addition of E(nglish) to the answer 7th letter, should give a synonym for something of a material nature.
      Hope that makes sense.

• mary
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:03 am | Permalink

yes thanks sarumite

7. sarumite
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s offering .. whilst not too taxing there are some well rounded clues.
    Might have been simple, but my favourite was 6a.

8. Nubian
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Great puzzle today,18a a bit cheesey, had me thinking, but the rest were quality

9. Helen
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Finished – my best ever. Fairly certain all are correct but as usual a couple I can’t quite explain why (9a for example!) I loved this one.

• sarumite
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

9a .. For pound think slang for £ :smile:

• Helen
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Of course!!! Thanks.

• Nora
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Helen

9a starts with a 3-letter vehicle, then put she (lady) within a slang word for a pound (money)

10. Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

About right for a Saturday, imho. Last to go in was 6a – and, just to be sure before I post it, I assume that there is a cricketing connection, unpopular though this might be to some of our members.

Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Digby
      Yes, there is a cricketing connection in 6a.

• nanaglugglug
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

No wonder I have no idea what this is? can you give me more of a clue please?

Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

nanaglugglug
          See responses to comment 17 below.

• nanaglugglug
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

should have read further down before panicking!! Got it now! Thanks everybody!

• mary
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

what is imho Digby?

• Libellule
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

“In my humble opinion”

• Lea
          Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Faster fingers Libellule – my typing has gone to pot today!!

• Lea
            Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

And my brain as well –

• Lea
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Mary – in case Digby isn’t around – it is “in my humble opinion”.

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – sorry, I didn’t mean to confuse you with acronym soup, but I see others have de-coded it for you. I expect you’ll be quite pleased with the result agaianst Italy, and presumably hoping that the French put England to the sword later today?

11. Lea
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I really must practice more with 4 letter words – 6a, and 26a were the last two to go in so I am back in the CC Mary – it shows you never really do leave it.

I liked13a and 15a.

• mary
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 11:52 am | Permalink

at least you’ve had a few days out :)

• Better late than never
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I’m struggling with 26A too!
      Have you had any inspiration?

Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Better late than never – welcome to the blog.
        26a. Make officer a blockhead (4)
        The definition is blockhead. You want a synonym for make followed by a 2-character abbreviation for an army officer.

• Better late than never
          Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Wow!
          Got it now!
          THanks ever so much Gazza!

12. BJ
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one and managed to complete with only a little help. But not sure of 21ac. Have an answer but don’t get the clue!

Posted March 20, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

BJ
      21a. Inescapable revolutionary avoiding awkward ban for principal (8)
      Remove the letters of BAN (not in order, hence awkward) from INESCAPABLE and make an anagram (revolutionary) of what’s left.

• Claire
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Hey Gazza thanks for this. I too had the answer but had persuaded myself to it by another route entirely – makes much more sense this way!! :-)

• BJ
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Gazza. Don’t think I would have got this without help. Didn’t like the clue.

13. Collywobbles
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Look. – Is E in or out of17d because I’m struggling with the SW corner. Prolixic says take it out and Sarumite says put it in?

• Prolixic
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

We were looking at the hint from different directions. Sarumite’s response was to put the letter E into the answer entered in the grid to make a word for material. My response was to take a word meaning material and take the E out to get a word meaning officer that you enter into the grid!

14. Gordonbennett
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Hi, I love all your comments and they are a great help. However, I am still stuck on 21ac, 24ac, 26ac, adn 16dn!! I, too , need to practise the four letter words. Can’t fathom the bird with or without the ‘bit’! Plainly I am in the class below CC!

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Gordonbennett

The across clues have been explained elsewhere, and some will become more obvious after you get 16d

Pretended to be moved emotionally (8)
      This is a double definition – the first one is pretended in the sense of phoney or simulated (Chambers also gives la-di-da and hoity-toity); the second is moved motionally in the sense of had an impact on.

• mary
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

No we are as low as you can go Gordonbennett :)

15. Robbo
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Hello folks, hope you are all well

Just a quick question, thought I’d post it on today’s blog as only got round to dt 26191 yesterday. For 5a I had stabbed, which I think just about works with the clue. S(on) + TAB (belt) + BED (next to sea?) = attacked.

I was wondering, when setting (maybe Anax knows?) whether the setter tries to solve with alternative answers as a check. This was the first time for a while that I have had a wrong answer that really convinced me – which I guess is quite remarkable. What I’m saying I suppose is how do they normally avoid this so well?

Cheers, keep up the great work guys, Rob

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Robbo

We do pick up comments on other posts!

A lot of setters have test solver(s) and the Crossword Editor to help identify alternative solutions. However, when a setter has a particularly good clue he takes some shifting. I advised Anax that his “Good milk” clue would be troublesome two weeks ago, but he still went ahead with it!

• Robbo
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Ah, didn’t realise that. Cheers Dave.

Well done Wales, time to smash South Africa and New Zealand later this year!

Rob

16. Charlie
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Hi. New to cryptic crosswords but very pleased to have done most of 26193 with no help – including all of above. Just can’t get 6a and I don’t understand the cricketing analogy – preferring rugby! Any clues?

Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Charlie – welcome to the blog.
      6a, Out, say? Standing out (4)
      It sounds like (say) one of the ways a batsman can be out at cricket, and here’s a visual hint to the definition.

• big Palooka
        Posted March 21, 2010 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Thanks gazza. For a while there, I thought your visual clue was a link to a webpage with a far too obvious answer and BigDave had blocked it.

Well, it is 02:15…

Thanks!

Paul.

• Prolixic
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

The answer sounds like (say) what the umpire might say if a batsman was dismissed when the ball hits the wicket. The other definition ( standing out ) might be what you do to type on a WP to make it stand out.

• Charlie
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Gazza / Prolixic… ah right, got it. Thanks very much.

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted March 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic, got it at last . Really struggling with this one – only a dozen to go now !

Well done Wales, sorry you had to put up with a shower of rain though – and well played England good effort !

17. Shrike1313
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one – quite tough for me. I think 27 across was my favourite.

18. brenda b
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed todays crossword. Much easier than Fridays!! I only needed help from the blog for 8d, 17d and 26a. Thank you, it stopped the frustration.

19. Mark
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Can’t do 22a or 11d. :(
    I enjoyed this puzzle – might have another look at yesterday’s in a bit. I didn’t get far (and I can’t blame it on the madame / mademoiselle thing lol!)
    mark

Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Mark
      22a. Pig and strangely one that flies (6)
      Pretty poor clue. You want a bird (one that flies) and the setter’s given you the first three letters for free!

• Mark
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. Funny how the blindingly obvious can totally escape me at times!!
        mark

• Mark
          Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Got 11d now. I am really pleased with getting them all done (albeit with some expert help).
          Thanks!
          Going to have a go at NTSPP later!!
          mark

Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

11d. Passage to Scottish island learner took was temporary (12)
      The definition is temporary and it’s a charade with 3 elements: Synonym for passage/ name of a Scottish island/ usual abbreviation for a learner.

20. Carina
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I got all the clues today fairly easily today, but just can’t get 14 down. However it seems no one else is struggling with this. Is it me??

Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Carina – welcome to the blog.

It’s living quarters on a ship. You need a synonym for enemy with an anagram (served) of CLARET’S inside.

• Carina
        Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you – and thank you for explaining the clue. I had to use an anagram solver to solve it. Never heard this word before, but you live and learn. Cheers Gazza

21. Geoff
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I’m stuck on 22a as well,and found I had got 24a wrong when I realized 17d from earlier comments. Otherwise fairly straightforward.

• Geoff
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

22a OK now, thanks. I wondered if there was an anagram involved, but didn’t see it earlier!

22. Mattparry7
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I am stuck on both the “officer” clues, even with your glaringly obvious hints in the comments. I’m tearing my hair out!

• Mattparry7
      Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Done it. Needed to look up NCO and all became clear, though I’ve never heard of that word for material before, presumably the opposite of ethereal?? Couldn’t get a certain extinct bird out my head for 26a so glad I didn’t write it in!

23. Willie Eckerslike
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Finished finished finished! yay! Read your hints on the ones I was stuck on but cos I’m so thick they didn’t help. Used my little electronic friend for a couple and then you couls hear the penny dropping on the soft cheese one (still annoyed at myself over that one as my kids have it all the time). Anyway the outcome is that this one has restored my faith in myself as I had a disaster yesterday.

Scotland have just scored – what is it that turns the mild mannered gentle man that i married into a beer-swilling, foul mouthed thug the minute Scotland play anyone.

Well done Wales Mary – although defeating the italians is like playing a team of boy scouts so not sure that counts…! haha xx

There’s another Helen on the blog so to save confusion i’m gonna change my name.
    Hx

Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Willie/Helen – welcome to the blog.

• mary
      Posted March 21, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

that’s quite a change of name Helen, yes good result for Wales now to make it a good weekend just need Liverpool to do the double on Man U, come on you real reds :)

24. Geoff
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Finally … 24a dawned on me … it will be nice to see them and the swallows coming back, now that it’s officially spring.

25. weetie
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Just completed without any help. 8d the last to go in. I spent ages trying to figure out the connection to the answer to 1a until realisation crept over me like syrup what the clue actually meant. Doh!

26. Peter
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Well we finished!

I liked 14d and 18a

Disliked 21a because I don’t think the meaning is correct. In fact I rejected the answer before being persuaded it was indeed the answer.

Still 4stars though.

27. anne
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

like afew of you we have finished but for 6a ,cannot get our heads round the cricketeing term .point us in the right direction please

• Libellule
      Posted March 21, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Anne,
      See Gazza’s reply to comment 16. Thats the best and clearest hint.

28. Little Dave
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Just back from Bournemouth and the sea air helped to lubricate the brain cells although I found this quite a challenge for a while. 24a was clever and my favourite of the day.

• Dinosaur Pete
      Posted March 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Hey little Dave, was just across the water from you in Swanage – what a lovely day to be out and about !

29. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Just over three hours since my initial whinge about struggling with this weeks puzzle and with a lot of help from all manner of electronic gizmos, your hints and a good walk along the cliffs with the dog and ………. finished !!

Must say that I really didn’t enjoy this one much and found many of the clues just plain confusing !

30. Little Dave
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Dinosaur Pete – was there on Saturday too – thoroughly rain-drenched with the family as out cycling. Beautiful today though. Now back in Hertfordshire.

• Dinosaur Pete
      Posted March 22, 2010 at 8:43 am | Permalink

glad you got one good day – I’m lucky, I live here and can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be !!

31. Wingnut
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Finished it, a day late in know but I was busy yesterday. My wife had to give me the answer to 6a when i had just 2 left and then i got the last 8d. And now to Sunday’s. (I should add that my wife cannot do cryptic crosswords and she got the answer in about 1 second flat. oh well :( )

32. Derek
    Posted March 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Late comment from me – comme d’habitude – I was too busy shopping Saturday to do this puzzle and today I enjoyed tackling the ST2528 effort. So started tonight.
    I liked 6a, 13a, 18a, 21a & 24a. Also 7d, 11d, 14d & 17d.
    Good laugh with 22a & 24a!

33. Newtothis
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Hi, as I say, I’m new to this! Need help/clues please with 3d and 5d

Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Hi Newtothis – welcome to the blog.
      3d. Out-of-town ball? (7,5)
      (Barely) cryptic definition. It’s a social occasion (ball) and it’s in a rural location (out-of-town).

Posted March 22, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

5d. All over each point at this place (10)
      The definition is “all over”. It’s a charade of a synonym for each, the abbreviation for one of the four main points of the compass, and another word for “at this place”.

34. Newtothis
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, 5d solved. I had the same idea as you for 3d, but I’ve got ***** as the second word, and I’m still stumped. Perhaps I’m being really dim!

• Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

As you are new to this, a gentle reminder – please don’t give whole or partial answers in comments, except where the word(s) being referrred to are in the actual clue. The letters you gave are correct and are what you do at a ball!

35. Newtothis
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Sorry about the partial answer. Pleased to report that the penny’s dropped!

• Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:22 am | Permalink

They are only easy when you know the answer!