Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ***

The biggest hint I can give is to check today’s date before starting this one. Another entertaining puzzle from Jay, with a topical theme.

Leave a comment telling us what you thought. You can also add your assessment by selecting from one to five stars at the bottom of the post.

1a    Deception by Spain at being reformed by such a good man (5,7)
{SAINT PATRICK} – a deception follows an anagram (being reformed) of SPAIN AT gives a good man who is celebrated today

9a    Issue denial about the sweet I consumed (9)
{REPUDIATE} – a word meaning to issue a denial is a charade of RE (about) a colloquial term for a sweet, as a meal course, I and finally a word meaning consumed

10a    Evidence of liquidity between banks (5)
{RIVER} – a cryptic definition of what flows between two banks – nothing to do with finance!

11a    Upset, sadly, about first of exam hold-ups (6)
{DELAYS} – an anagram (upset) of SADLY is placed around E (first of Exam) to get these hold-ups

12a    Out of control, dad loses heart in winter sport (8)
{SKIDDING} – this action which happens to a vehicle which is out of control is created by putting D(A)D without the A (loses heart) inside a winter sport

13a    Weaves traps, exchanging one king for another (6)
{SNAKES} – a word meaning weaves, as in follows a winding course, is derived by changing the R (Rex) for a K (King) (exchanging one king for another) in a word meaning traps

15a    One may joke about the press being taken in by hoax (8)
{COMEDIAN} – someone who tells jokes is a general name for the press, and other forms of communication, inside a hoax

18a    Surprise surrounding a gentleman in clover (8)
{SHAMROCK} – put a surprise around A MR (a gentleman) to get the kind of clover that will be worn by many today

19a    Wanders around in chains (6)
{RANGES} – a double definition, the second of which refers to hills and mountains

21a    The type of income that might endure an upset (8)
{UNEARNED} – this type of income is highly desirable – it’s an anagram (upset, again!) of ENDURE AN

23a    A 10, for example, left sounding dubious (6)
{LIFFEY} – the answer to 10a is the definition – L(eft) followed by a homophone of a synonym for dubious gives this Irish example

26a    Information about soldiers lacking experience (5)
{GREEN} – put a short word for information around these soldiers to get a word meaning inexperience (which is also the colour of the day)

27a    Came across one eating a sailor’s bones (9)
{METATARSI} – start with a word meaning came across and I (one), and then insert A and some of Crosswordland’s sailors to get these bones

28a    Boy, ten, learns about a special place in Ireland (7,5)
{BLARNEY STONE} – BOY TEN LEARNS is an anagram (about) of a special place in Ireland

1d    Walks when street is up (7)
{STRIDES} – a synonym for walks is a charade of ST(reet) and up (on a horse)

2d    Urge to start pushing in exciting mile (5)
{IMPEL} – a word meaning to urge is generated by putting P (start pushing) inside an anagram (exciting) of MILE

3d    Toy train initially getting whirlwind support (5,4)
{TEDDY BEAR} – to get this toy, string together T (Train, initially) with a whirlwind and a word meaning to support

4d    Nearly open for a drink (4)
{AJAR} – today it could be a glass of Guinness

5d    How to tie up on rocks at sea? (4,4)
{REEF KNOT} – a cryptic definition of this means of tying two pieces of rope

6d    Preserved cheese, ultimately, in its original form (5)
{CURED} – a word meaning preserved is constructed from E (cheesE, ultimately) inside the part of milk from which cheese is made (its original form)

7d    Victor gets sick after a helping (8)
{AVAILING} – V(ictor) in the NATO phonetic alphabet is followed by a word meaning sick and preceded by A to get a word meaning helping, as in taking advantage

8d    State’s gone bust supporting gold (6)
{OREGON} – this US state is an anagram (bust) of GONE after (supporting, as this is a down clue) the heraldic term for gold

14d    Became conscious of a trail, half-ruined (8)
{AWAKENED} – became conscious is the definition – to derive it you need a charade a trail (like the one behind a ship) and the latter half of rui(NED)

16d    Grows thin, as mice eat in a frenzy (9)
{EMACIATES} – a word meaning grows very thin is an anagram (in a frenzy) of AS MICE EAT

17d    One yells, starting to see powdered milk (8)
{SCREAMER} – this person who yells comes from S (starting to See) followed by powdered milk

18d    Mused worriedly about origin of greasy spot (6)
{SMUDGE} – put an anagram (worriedly) of MUSED around G (origin of Greasy) to get a spot, possibly a greasy one!

20d    Broadcaster (cable) getting Horizon (7)
{SKYLINE} – someone should find it easy to work out this broadcaster of satellite TV! – add a cable and you get the horizon

22d    Right way up (of the kidney) (5)
{RENAL} – R(ight) is followed by a country way reversed (up) to get a word meaning of the kidney

24d    In favour of travel, but give it a miss (5)
{FORGO} – a charade of words meaning in favour of and to travel gives a synonym for to give it a miss

25d    A bit of a nasty ear infection (4)
{STYE} – hidden inside (a bit of) naSTY Ear is an eye infection

A gently themed puzzle, especially for today’s celebration.

1. mary
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Can’t believe there were four answers all to do with 17th March, on St Davids day there was nothing! come on crossword editor, surely Wales shouldn’t be only one missing out :) ?
    Liked todays crossword very much, thank you setter, only one I thought belonged in toughie was 13a, my most unfavourite type of clue, where you have to find a word for another word, so to speak, anyway nice one for CC today I think?? finished nice and early but the weather in West Wales is not nice today!

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

or is it 5 clues about 17th March if you count 26a?

• Barrie
      Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I knew you were outgrowing the CC, todays was a right b….h! Managed about a quarter even after I realised it was all to do with St Patricks Day. Far too difficult for me I’m afraid.

• Peter
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Me too

2. Ann B
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

After a few days Brain Dead really enjoyed this one & back on track
    Liked 1a,&18a.

• Nora
      Posted March 18, 2010 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Me too. I’d had an awful week so far, and breezed through this one. Maybe it’s that’s spring is well and truly here in Spain so the brain is coming back to life after a long cold winter!

3. Franny
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Sure and Begorrah, it’s a lovely puzzle for St Patrick’s Day! I’m wearing my green and would put a shamrock for a smiley if I could :-)

Sorry, Mary, but I did think of all my Welsh friends and got my daffs out on St David’s Day. I wonder what they’ll do for St George? I hope the spring comes for you soon.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

it’s been spring for the last 3 weeks here Franny, just disappeared today :), as children we always celebrated St Patricks more than St Davids having Irish grandparents !!

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

How about a shamrock smiley Dave? to be sure you could do it?

• Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink

The available smileys are, I’m afraid, controlled by WordPress

This is the nearest you are going to get – :mrgreen:

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

thanks for looking :)

• Franny
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

We’ve been having a spell of icey winter here in Geneva with freezing winds, but today spring seems finally to have sprung and I hope it stays. When I was a child in New York they painted the stripe along Fifth Avenue green for St Patrick — don’t know if they still do.

• Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I’ve painted the top of the blog green – will that do?

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Funy BD, it’s very nice & thoughtful :)

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

my keyboard is on a bad spelling day!

• Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Mary

The good news is that I have done a special format for St David’s Day.

The bad news is that you won’t see it for 11½ months.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Hee, hee, thank you Dave, how about a preview? :)

• Shrike1313
                  Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Top Man!!

4. NathanJ
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

I have just got back from PJ Reilly’s Irish Pub in Canberra after celebrating St Patrick’s Day here is Australia.

I have just finished this puzzle and really enjoyed it – loved the St Patrick’s Day theme – although I was born in Wales, my mother hails from the Kingdom County – Kerry.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Love Kerry Nathan, was there last year, beautiful :)

• NathanJ
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Yes – I’ve only been there once in my life – back in 1973 when I was only seven years old. I turn 44 in April and have never been back to Ireland. Mind you, I have never been back to my birthplace of Newport, Wales since leaving with my parents in 1967 when I was only a 1-year-old. Lived in Canada 1967-75, New Zealand 1975-77 and Australia since 1977 – have spent three-quarters of my life in Oz.

• Nora
      Posted March 18, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

And it’s the big 19 day Fallas fiesta in Valencia – the city was full of Guinness hats in honour of St Patrick

Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:23 am | Permalink

A nice straightforward themed puzzle today. The only clue that caused me any problem was 19a. Thanks to Jay and BD.

6. Nubian
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Good Wednesday puzzle with lots of shamrocky things going on.
    4d must be a clue Big Dave remembers from the fifties as weel as Anna

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

have you seen Barrie, Nubian?

7. Vince
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

As others seem to have, so far, I quite enjoyed this. But, I feel the need to be pedantic coming on. The press is a “medium”. The “media” being the radio, TV and, I suppose, the internet, as well as the press.

Along with the themed clues, I also enjoyed 9a & 13a.

8. Prolixic
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Jay for an enteraining puzzle for St Patrick’s day and thanks for the notes BD. Favourite clues included 9a, 3d, 13a and the themed ones.

9. gnomethang
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

6d favourite for me today – lovely simply presented clue.
    Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and BD for the review

10. weetie
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Only needed Big Dave’s help on 13a, otherwise completed without puting the paper down. It normally takes two or three sessions, so some sign of improvement. Theme helped sort out anagrams quickly. Thanks BD.

11. Meadowman
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle. I too struggled to see what 13a could be, but looking at BD’s explanation it seems clear and fair. Thanks.

12. mary
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

re 24d, always thought it was spelt with an ‘e ‘ i.e. forego?

13. BigBoab
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and not too difficult. I liked 14d and 13a.

14. Wingnut
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Finished today’s in my lunch break with no help apart from looking to see it there was such a river for 23a :). Starting to complete about 1 a week now having been at it about 3 months. Thanks for the site; it’s a great learning aid.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

well done Wingnut, I am still waiting to complete without any help, i do complete without the blog 75% of the time but not without help from books etc. until then I remian in the CC :)

• Chablisdiamond
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Me too!!!

15. soldier
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I also struggled on 13a, entering snares (having gone through the king exchange in reverse). I’m not yet sure which way round these go as the first word is not always the overall meaning!

Mary, I see at least 7 across clues that could have Irish connotations, if you include river and Liffey as 2 clues.

16. Collywobbles
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Very satisfying puzzle today but I’m not sure of the second half of 1d

• Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Up is used in crosswords to indicate at University or, as here, on a horse. Hence RIDES a horse is up on a horse

17. Derek
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

It is a long time since I solved a cryptic as quickly as I did for this one!
    1a was a bit spoiled by the Aer Lingus ad on the RHS!
    I liked 10a plus 23a as well as 13a & 27a. 6d, 20d & 22d.
    Laughed at the delusion in 25d.

18. Chablisdiamond
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzel completed without the blog and in spite of some moments of blinding stupidity!!!! Liked 3d, 6d and 27a which made me laugh… It’s great to have something achievable for the CC.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

well done Chablis

19. Mattparry7
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Only needed hints for a couple of answers but other than that all done. Spent ages looking for a word for “walks” by taking a word for street, adding IS and then putting the whole thing “up”, I.e SI-TEERTS. hate it when you’re just not along the right lines at all!

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

i’m often down that road myself Matt :)

• Chablisdiamond
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

And me!

• Mattparry7
          Posted March 18, 2010 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Glad it’s just not me, though you are both nearer the top of the class!

• Mattparry7
            Posted March 18, 2010 at 2:44 am | Permalink

I think “not just me” was what I meant.

20. Geoff
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I thought today’s would be quite easy after I solved three while the porridge was in the microwave! It was quite straightforward too, although, as ever, there were several I couldn’t get. Think I’ll be in the CC for ever! Right back to the keyboard … notes to learn.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

some lovely people in thhe CC :)

21. Little Dave
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed todays and overall fairly straightforward and not too much to angst.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

what is angst little Dave? Mary asks showing her ignorance!

Posted March 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

off to watch Eggheads

22. Collywobbles
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave

23. Shrike1313
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Only half done – still learning! Some standards but appreciated the themed clues. Again, many thanks for the excellent hints.

24. Shrike1313
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Sorry – could someone explain the hint for 13 across please – I don’t follow it. I don’t understand the “traps for a king” bit. Many thanks in anticipation.

Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

shrike1313
      Start with SNARES (traps), then change the R to a K to get a verb meaning weaves (as in traffic) (and are also reptiles associated with St. Patrick!).

• Shrike1313
        Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

No wonder I couldn’t get it. I know about the snakes and St Patrick, but the wordplay is well above my game. Many thanks, Gazza.

• Posted March 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

It’s a lot easier to explain when you can use the words themselves! I will try to make the hint a bit clearer.

25. Shrike1313
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

No sign of Helen tonight – hope she is feeling OK.

26. Little Dave
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – angst = sense of anxiety. What I usually experience following West Bromwich Albion.

27. Griff
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

nice one today. Happy Pats day to our Irish colleagues!
    Anywho, nice puzzle today but have to admit to cribbing at 13a :-?
    Fave clue today? 23a. Great one.
    Gotta be 4* for fun today as my footy team docked 9 points today :-(
    play up Pompey!

28. Lea
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed it – all except for 7d as had to get a hint for that – even with the cross letters. Luckily clued up tells you when you are wrong as put the wrong ending letter for 27a and therefore took time to get 20d. Kicked myself when I changed it. I likedf 28a.

29. Griff
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

sorry for late posts. I attack the crosswords over a few jars :-)

• Mattparry7
      Posted March 18, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink

I would go as far as to recommend a swift half to activate the lateral thinking.