DT 26062 – Hints

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26062 – Hints

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

BD Rating – Difficulty ** - Enjoyment ***

As Saturday Prize puzzles go, this one is about the same difficulty as you have come to expect. What is different is that there are none of those names – boys, girls, obscure places, they have all been given a rest this week. OK there is a name involved in the wordplay, but that’s all. I am not too happy with the anagram indicator, or rather the lack of an anagram indicator, in one clue but the rest of the puzzle is an excellent introduction to cryptic crosswords.

By the way, the only palindrome on view today is the number of the puzzle – a missed opportunity?

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a few of the better clues and provide hints for them. A full review of this puzzle by Tilsit will be published at 12.00 on Thursday, 22nd October.

1a Carbon copy for head (4)
The chemical symbol for Carbon is followed by a word meaning to copy to get a headland

11a Gareth, go inside with the continental grotesque figure (8)
Start with a shortened form of Gareth, put go inside and follow this with the French definite article and you get a grotesque figure projecting from a roof-gutter and acting as a rainwater spout

17a Reported poet, one working in hospital (8)
A word that sounds like the surname of the poet who wrote The Shropshire Lad describes a recent graduate in medicine holding a junior resident post in a hospital

21a Remove cattle from Ulster (6)
A word meaning to illegally remove cattle is an anagram of ULSTER – “from” just doesn’t work as an anagram indicator; how easy it would have been to say something like “from a troubled Ulster”!

1d Protection of original work, imitation being correct (9)
Here a word meaning the protection of original work is a charade of an imitation and being correct

3d Use printing machine with feeling? (5-4)
… without looking at the keys

13d Jet-propelled weapon? (6,3)
… which is better known in the UK as a water pistol

18d Meantime not starting arranging performance (7)
Arranging tells you that an anagram of (M)EANTIME will give you a performance at the theatre that sounds as if it ought to be in the morning but is usually in the afternoon

The Saturday Crossword Club will open at 10.00 am (after Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Radio 2).  Membership is free and open to all. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions before that time.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

If you missed Later… with Jools Holland last night, then you missed Seasick Steve – but you can make up for that here:

1. Prolixic
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Another one for the weekend drivers. A Morris Minor of a puzzle giving a gentle ride and some good scenery but not going to get the pulse racing.

By the way, you have broken your own rule an put the answer in 21a! In terms of an anagram indicator I generally read it as X (derived) from Y, which in my convoluted logic makes some sense. Not the greatest anagram indicator I agree.

Was 8a really a cryptic clue?

Thanks for the blog.

• Libellule
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Prolixic. Corrected. Thanks.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 10:27 am | Permalink

That’s what can happen at 3.00 am!

2. Posted October 17, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Enjoyable but not taxing. I like Prolixic’s analogy of the puzzle being like a Morris Minor which, if I’m not mistaken, made its debut in 1948 – the year I made mine…

3. Emandan
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

another easy workout for a saturday it seems to be coming the norm for the prize crosswrod to be easier than the rest of the week, only one i am not sure about 25a let rip.
    13d had me thinking for a while until i got the rest of the acrosses never heard it called that before
    just hope tomorrows offering is a bit more challenging

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

25a is simply a double definition – to let a room or a rip in a piece of material

4. Nubian
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 10:53 am | Permalink

13d answer was a bit naughty I thought, it started me off on my high horse about foreign words and phrases. Is it just being lazy about thinking up a better clue ?

5. sarumite
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Agreed BD … it would have been an excellent opportunity to play with e.g. “never odd or even” answers, in line with the puzzle number! :smile:

A mixture of gimmees plus a few more difficult clues, I particularly liked 6d and 13d, although the latter was a new term for me. (S)

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I withdrew a section giving examples of palindromes and semordnilaps (words which make other words when reversed like part and trap) from the Crossword Guide, and have yet to add them to The Mine.

6. mary
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

lovely crossword :) never heard a water pistol called that before
    favourite clue 6d … least favourite 17a

• mary
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

by the way incase i haven’t said before :) this is a great site

• Lea
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Mary – I was brought up in Canada and that’s what we called them but I have lived over here so long that I didn’t get it until I put in 13a.

7. Claire
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one – largely because I could do it!! Two most tricky 17a and 13d (silly name for a water pistol!)

8. nanaglugglug
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle – easily completed for once!! Didn’t much like 13d as I think its a made-up name. I think I’ll call myself GrumpyGlugglug from now on!

9. brenda b
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Pleased with myself today. Managed it all in good time with the exception of 1a. Managed it with your help. Thank you. Needless to say I enjoyed it, because I found it realtively straight forward

10. raz.frew
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I thought 7d. was an elegant clue and 22a. witty, but far toooooo easy, im not normally on this site till ive given up on monday !

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

A somewhat belated welcome to the blog Raz

11. Little Dave
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Once again the easiest of the week by a margin. Little to tax and overall disappointing. Yesterday’s was far superior. I can now go and take the children to see “Up” in the knowledge that the Prize Crossword has been successfully tackled barely out of mental first gear. I quite liked 6d but otherwise forgettable.

12. Edi
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Felt a bit let down, was expecting a palindrome. 7d scuppered me and im not sure if ive got 25a correct. Bythaway thanks to Gazza for replying to my query about toughie 235, couldnt reply as my laptop is getting slower everyday. Now im off to the pub. Cheers :smile:

• Peter
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Think of the middle of an apple and go from there for 7d

• Peter
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the pub, perhaps that is what your laptop needs too!

13. nabob
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Being a relative newcomer to cryptic crosswords I liked this one, but it seemed a little too easy!

14. Lea
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

That was fun but mainly because I beat my own time on doing it, Liked 6d as my clue of the day.

15. Jane
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

So much easier than yesterday. All the answers just seemed to flow except 13d which eluded me for a little while.

• Peter
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Me too until I got the poet.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I bet a lot of you thought the poet’s name was spelt the same way as the answer!

• Peter
          Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Now that’s an eletist remark, rather than a Shropshire Lad drumed into me at school etc I must admit I tend to associate the name with the raspy voiced actor whose name does match the answer.

16. Peter
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Actually got this one done comparatively quickly for me. Was a bit stuck on 11a until I realised that 3 down could end in something I associate with binder, rather than the form of tobacco I had.

17. Franny
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Lovely:-) Though I ripped (****?) through it almost too fast. If all the week’s puzzles were this straightforward most of you would probably be bored, but I’d feel very intelligent.

A couple of tiny quibbles. In 20d, surely ‘falsehoods’ should be singular, and 25a seems to have a confusion of tenses. It took me a moment to realise 21a was an anagram and I didn’t much like 23a. Is there such a term? 13d took me back to my childhood in the US, and the clue that amused me most was 18a.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

20d could conceivably considered as a plural noun (the habit of telling falsehoods), but I agree it’s not brilliant.

25a If you consider rip as a noun then it’s ok.

23a is in Chambers

18. Edward Bear
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

13a – is that what I think it is from the first word of the clue – if so what is the relevance of the second word ? Thanks.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

The second part, signalled by “say”, is a homophone (sounds like the answer)

• Edward Bear
      Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

dont worry the penny just dropped gawd elp us

19. Lizwhiz
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

:( Far too easy…

20. Barrie
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Must be me, thought this was the most difficult Saturday for ages. The left side – easy, the right tricky esp that totally stupid definition of a water pistol, had to resort to google for that one. Some very clever clues though, loved 15a and 3d!

21. Trevor
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I am still uncertain as to the answer 25a. I have two options one beginning with R and the other with V anybody help??

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Trevor

Did you read the hint I gave in comment #3?

• Trevor
        Posted October 17, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I have now, I think I have the answer. I am new to the daily telegraph crossword. This is an essential site to gain the basics of the crossword. Thanks

22. Little Dave
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

It’s great to see so many newcomers to the DT crossword challenge. Although I have been doing it for years it still presents lots of challenges -I have found this week’s examples particularly tough save today’s.

23. Marlie
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Good Evening,

Stuck on 6 across and 6 down. I’m not so clever as all the other bloggers!
    Some hints please.
    Thanks.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Good evening to you Marlie

6a Writer’s cut (4)
      This is a double definition. The writer is a derogatory term for a journalist and the other definition is to cut with rough blows

6d All of us in a hurry? (5,4)
      All of us means you, me and everybody else in the world – get that bit and the hurry reference becomes obvious

24. Ian
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

agree it was easy, but this suited me today as only had short time between chores! 3a made me smile with a hint of shoulder shake – unusual for me!! Thanks for blog

25. Marlie
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that, got them now..

Is it a different compiler on Saturday? It seems to be easier than the Monday to Friday crosswords.