DT 26032 – Hints

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26032 – Hints

No whingeing today!

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

BD Rating – Difficulty *** Enjoyment: ****

I actually enjoyed this one!  The best Saturday prize puzzle in a while just about creeps into 3-star difficulty.  The only proper noun is a Biblical character who is considerately clued as an anagram.

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select a few of the better clues and provide hints for them. A full review of this puzzle by Tilsit will be published at 12.00 on Thursday, 17th September.

1a Oddly silly hotel employee, cunning person (8)
You need to combine the odd letters of silly and a hotel employee, whose duties include cleaning shoes and running errands, to get this cunning person

10a Like stay-at-homes at heart (6)
To get the cryptic part of this double definition, think about where and when stay-at-homes are to be found; if they are out least of the time then they must be .. ….

14a Huntsman travelling on Metro (7)
This word meaning a huntsman, which is of Spanish origin, is an anagram of ON METRO

24a Arachnid, say, coming in towards end of day onto open framework (7)
This arachnid is a tiny blood-sucking parasite, and you need a three-letter word that sounds the same as one to insert into a word meaning towards end of day (the opposite of early) to get an open framework that is often used to support plants

2d Meat served at midday meal? (8)
This processed meat is moulded into a loaf and served sliced and is most likely to be found in a sandwich!

7d Wife’s easy, removing top veil (6)
Wife in crosswordland is W; add a word meaning easy, after removing the first letter, and you have a veil usually worn by a nun

17d Don’t take so long to rescue the enemy? (4,4)
We are all fighting this enemy

25d Hebrew leader snapped cable (5)
Snapped here tells you that this Hebrew leader’s name is an anagram of CABLE

If that’s not enough to help you finish, just ask and I will see what I can do.

Please don’t put whole or partial answers in your comment, else they may be censored!

1. SmokeyNL
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Big Dave,

Could you please explain 27a? I know what the answer is but not how to get it (except for the GI bit).

A fairly tame Saturday puzzle today.

• Libellule
      Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Remove he from the (he leaves), add GI, and then an anagram of car….

• SmokeyNL
        Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Aha. I was thinking “car” should of been “cart” and couldnt see what “he leaves” had to do with anything. Now clear. Thanks Libellule.

• Libellule
          Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

That was also my original thought – until I looked more closely…..

• Posted September 12, 2009 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I didn’t say it was difficult, but it was a pleasure to do and it was devoid of those tooth-sucking moments that we have suffered of late.

27a He leaves the US soldier in broken-down car — that’s sad (6)
      The “he leaves the” construct was well hidden, as you discovered!

2. Nubian
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Liked todays apart from 10a, it all seems a bit of a mishmash, like “Here are some words and try to sort out an answer that fits”. Is it an abbreviation of a longer word that normally has ‘ner’ inside it ?

• Posted September 12, 2009 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Chambers has both words sharing a definition.

3. Yoshik
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Gentle exercise, but have a strong dislike of 1a.

The word has never been in my limited vocabulary.

• Libellule
      Posted September 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Yoshik,
      From Chambers
      singular noun
      ********
      a *** or cunning person or animal

• Posted September 12, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Naugty!

I had to get my censor’s blue pencil out.

• Libellule
          Posted September 12, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Oops – apologies, I forgot this was “Prize Day”….

• Yoshik
            Posted September 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

In my day my ***** were cleaned by a fag!

4. NathanJ
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Big Dave

A very enjoyable puzzle with which to while away my Saturday afternoon here in OZ.

I usually only do the puzzles from Monday through Friday and haven’t done the Saturday one in a while. But if they continue to be as fun as this one I will add Saturday to my puzzles schedule.

I might try the Sunday one tomorrow although I understand that one can be quite tricky, but I’ll give it a try.

5. Edi
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

good workout today. some new words to digest. unsure of some of the definitions though. never heard of 15d.

6. bigboab
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable if not taxing.

• Tilly
      Posted September 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

i agree. Hasn’t 17a appeared recently?

• Libellule
        Posted September 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Not recently as far as I can remember, but a quick search found this:
        15d Sort of snake in the grass (5)
        Which is very similar.
        DT 25991 July 27th 2009

• Tilly
          Posted September 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks – maybe it was that one which rang a bell.

7. Phil
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

This really made a sunny Saturday morning for me – truly enjoyable and fair challenge. 1a is a new expression on me, although I’ll enjoy using it!

8. nanaglugglug
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable, done over a coffee – if I had to pick a favourite it would be 26a, and I really liked 1a!

9. Emandan
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

anyone fancy giving me a hint/explanation for 15d

• Posted September 12, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

15d Child under Kate struggling as Kelvin starts to tick off (4,2,4)

A word meaning a small child is to be placed under (this is a down clue) an anagram (struggling) of KATE and followed by AS and the first letter (starts) of Kelvin to get a word meaning to tick off.

Quite what the surface reading is trying to portray eludes me!

• Emandan
        Posted September 12, 2009 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

thanks apart from that one i thought it was fairly straightforward didn’t like 1 across either though but it was fairly easy to work out once i had the down clues

10. newtocryptic
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Great fun!

11. Chris
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I have got 24a – but dont know why! Can anyone help?!

• Posted September 12, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Which part of my convoluted hint needs further expansion?

• Chris
        Posted September 13, 2009 at 8:16 am | Permalink

thanks Dave – hadn’t seen the clue!

12. Little Dave
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Usual Saturday fare although it did distract me briefly from watching England’s latest shocking cricket performance at Lord’s! Liked 7d.

13. Jane
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Like other people hadn’t heard of ******** so this delayed completion for a while. Quite enjoyed it especially as it was also nice to sit out in the sun!

14. Jane
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Really sorry, just realised my mistake. The sun must have gone to my head!

15. terry healy
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

what is 14 across please **-**-*

• Posted September 14, 2009 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Terry

As given in the hints, it is an anagram of ON METRO. As you already have five of the seven letters, it shouldn’t be too hard to work it out!

• terry healy
        Posted September 14, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

many thanks,i found it in the dictionary
        terry

• Posted September 14, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

One of those words that you may never need again! It sounds as if it ought to be a Ford car, but it turns out to be a Mitsubishi.

16. johnt
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave
    All finished except 17a Gime us a clue please

• Posted September 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog John

17a Grass snake, sort of (5)

Grass, as in informer, is the definition, and it’s an anagram of SNAKE. If you are still unsure, follow Libellule’s suggestion in comment #6 and look at 15d in DT 25991 on July 27th 2009 – just enter 25991 into the search widget in the sidebar and click on “Find”

Posted September 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

johnt
      17a. Grass snake, sort of (5)

The definition is grass, but it’s not the sort that you walk on.

17. johnt
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

So easy really when you have the answer

18. Jonathan Richards
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Enjoyed the crossword, but I’m wondering whether anyone else does the other puzzles in Saturday Telegraph and would agree with me that the ‘balancing birds’ puzzle published answer is wrong. Sorry if this is off limits!

• Posted September 15, 2009 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I don’t mind the off-topic question, but your chance of an answer is obviously a lot lower.

A few more details, like date puzzle was published and anything else that might narrow it down would help.

• Jonathan Richards
        Posted September 15, 2009 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Sorry, again, Big Dave. As an enthusiast of your blog, I have picked up that contributors take pleasure from spotting small mistakes. I guess I am no exception. The puzzle to which I refer was published in the Weekend Section of The Telegraph 12th September, page W18 and is called “Balancing Birds”. It’s about Moments (turning forces, or what engineers call ‘torque’). I think that the puplished solution, on page W19 is wrong – and I wondered if any of your bloggers agreed with me. That’s all.

• Posted September 15, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I agree.

2 blackbirds = 1 owl, so an owl is 2 units

As shown the weight on the left is (2 + 1 + 2 + 1) x 1 = 6 and the right is 2 x 3 = 6 which is in balance

thus 1 unit (blackbird) needs to be added at A giving 1 x 2 = 2
          and 2 units (owl) at B giving 2 x 1 = 2

It all reminds me of my school physics master telling us, with a smile on his face, that even couples in fields have their moments!

• Jonathan Richards
            Posted September 16, 2009 at 12:08 am | Permalink

I am a Physics master, with a smile on my face! Go Spurs!